Today is one of my very FAVORITE days of the whole entire year! We are all heading out to our Family Life Retreat at one of the most gorgeous places on earth--Camp Sumatanga, a beautiful camp about 40 minutes north of Birmingham, just hitting the rolling hills of the Appalachias.
Trees, streams, rocks,
quiet, no cell phones,
loudness, kids running and playing,
guitars, a crackling fireplace,
a cross on the top of a mountain
Just one of my favorite spots.
(And one of our family's favorite spots. The girls literally ask, as we're leaving our parking spot on Sunday afternoon, when we're coming back.)
We go each year in February with a lot of our best friends from church. We have Bible study, sing worship songs, pray, do communion . .. and also act goofy, play games (Ryan--I'm ready for the 80s Trivia game! I challenge you to a duel!), do Skit Night, laugh a lot. . . and also just have the chance (perhaps most importantly) to get away from everything.
I think we all need that right now!
So... I will be packing the rest of the day and won't be back on my blog until late Sunday night or perhaps Monday morning. (I should have some really good pictures for an update, since it's a place that just lends itself to great photos!)
Until then, a few notes:
* We had so much fun last night drawing a name from the comments to my post on Valentine's Day. Delaney drew a name to receive my RAK (a fun little Valentine's creation that you can fill with our own photos) to... (drum roll please! lol) . . .
(I will pop by your blog, but if you get here first, email me and give me your mailing address. It won't be mailed until Monday, probably, but it will be on its way then! Yay!!!)
* Gary went back to work today. He's going for just half a day, but I hope he makes it okay!
* Anyone local who is interested in Heidi Swapp Calendar Class this coming Tuesday, let me know. It will be at Scrapbook Mania and our first calendar page will be using "mats and frames" (other planned techniques in coming months are things like paint, rub-ons, masks, journaling stencils, etc.).
* Why do I still like to get breakouts, as if I'm still 15 years old??? (Could it have anything to do with the pounds of chocolate I've consumed in the last two days?) ugh!
* Is there anything wrong with eating KFC for breakfast? Not breakfast KFC, but "regular" KFC? Chicken, mashed potatoes, etc. I hope not, because that's what I'm doing right now! (you know, there could be a fried chicken-breakouts connection too!)
Hope you all have a WONDERFUL weekend!!! It's going to be so cold here, so we're also holding out hope that we might see snow at Camp. I have seen it there once, and it was the MOST GORGEOUS I've just about ever seen!
Want to leave you with a few words from the song I've got playing on here today. Just a good song to keep things in perspective. When life gets tough sometimes or when you just feel a little overwhelmed, there's always a Name you can breathe and it can help you through it:
"So many days within this race
I need the truth
I need some grace
I need the path
To find my place
I need some truth
I need some grace
The part of you
That's part of me
Will never die
Will never leave
And it's nobody else's but mine
You are in my heart
I can feel your beat
And you move my mind
From behind the wheel
When I lose control
I can only breathe your name
I can only breathe your name."
That's my hope for you this weekend. Take a deep breath, enjoy yourself, and feel the joy around you.
Love you all! Peace Out!!