Tuesday, February 13, 2007



"Love Is . . ." Random Tuesday

Well, here it is Tuesday all over again and let me just say that I'm so glad today got here pretty much uneventfully and I'm able to post this for everyone! Small blessings ...

Tomorrow is, OF COURSE, Valentine's Day so I couldn't let today go by without some sort of love-themed Random Tuesday post. But I already did a fun Valentine's Day meme last Tuesday (it was fun, so go back and read it if you missed it!), so what's a girl to do this week?

Well, as is often the case, the idea came from just going through my daily life with a wonderful family. Any of you who know my girls in "real life", or who have read my blog long enough to get to "know" my girls, know that life is never dull around here . .. especially with an almost-three-year-old running the show!!

On Saturday, Scout definitely provided me with a "blog-worthy" (and journal-worthy and scrapbook-worthy!) moment!! I had just made my little "Love Is" tag journal at our scrapbook day at church and Scout asked what it was. I told her it was a book called "Love is" and she quickly asked, "You want me to read it to you?"

Of course I did!!

She took the book from me, opened it to the first page and said:

"Love is... (dramatic pause) . . . why you give hugs."



She went on to add:

"Love is . . . why you give kisses."

And:



"Love is . . . why you really, really, really, really, really, really sit down and play with me."

Wow!! Does that have meaning, or what? Don't young children just put it into simple terms? Don't they really know what it's all about?

Of course, I immediately wrote the conversation down and then actually went back later and added her words to the little album and labeled it on the back, "Sydney talks about what love is ... February 10, 2007."

And all of this got me to thinking about what Love really is. It is so many things... Love is patient, love is kind... Love is a many splendored thing ... Love is...

Well, what is it?

During this week of love, I'm thinking about what this emotion is all about. What do I love? What does it mean to love someone?

I probably could write a novel on the topic on create a very lenthy list, but some of the things that come to my mind because these things are just so "right now" to me . . .

Love is a cuddly hug from a daughter.

Love is a "Thanks Mom."

Love is a homemade chocolate chip cookie.

Love is being able to talk without saying a word.

Love is holding hands.

Love is letting me watch a basketball game, although you'd rather watch something else.

Love is laughing until you spit stuff out of your nose.

Love is forgiveness and grace that erases it all.

Love is family.

Love is the little gestures (like a FIL taking my trash down to the road, becuase I didn't have a hubby home to do it).

Love is a friend's hug.

Love is serving your husband, because you want to.

Love is memories--the good and the hard.

Love is bringing me a cold Diet Dr. Pepper.

Love is a, "Tell me what you need and I'm there with it the moment you need it."

Love is unconditional.

Love is a verb.

And now... since I always love to make my Tuesdays "interactive" . . . how about finishing the statement, "Love is.. ." and either posting your response here in my comments section or letting us know that you posted it on your blog.

(And just as an update for those of you interested: Gary right now is just feeling mostly tired and still "out of sorts"a bit; he has a neurologist's appointment this morning. Continued thoughts and prayers would be great!)

Thinking of something fun for my Valentine's Day post tomorrow. Perhaps a give-away (I guess you'll just have to come back and see; LOL).

Have a "LOVE"ly Tuesday...

20 comments:

Susie Q said...

Absolutely wonderful post dear Cheryl.
You have been in my thoughts so much...
Love is.....having great blog friends like you dear Cheryl.
The pictures are precious as were the words...children make is all so special.

Love,
Sue

Anonymous said...

That little angel of yours knows just what to say to make Mommy smile and feel better doesn't she? :)
Ok here's mine
Love is...letting me be who I am. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Hopefully more of the first than the last two, but there it is :).
Hugs and hope the Dr.'s appointment goes extremely well today.
Hugs to all of you!

scrapperjen said...

Awwww....you made me a little teary this morning. What a wonderful post and what wonderful things for Scout to say!
HUGS and Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours!

Adrienne said...

Awwww, how cute!!!

Linda said...

I enjoyed reading this post Cheryl. Here's one: Love is lifting one another in prayer. I've had you guys on my heart the past couple of days. Praying for a good report today.

Unknown said...

Cheryl.. I am so glad to hear that Gary is home and doing better. Your family is still I my prayers as I am sure you still have more ahead on your road!!! I LOVE your random tuesday...and you can definitely expect to see this on my blog later today!!! very profound...very simple...and ver true!!! and I love how kids really cut to the heart of the matter and make us realize just how how much life is about simplicity!!!
have a great day!!

Jeff said...

Great Random Tuesday idea. Quite thought provking while I'm having lunch. Here's what I've come up with:
* Love is being able to have comfortable silence

* Love is going along with something becasue it means a lot to the other person.

* Love is a sate of absolutle bliss.

* Love is doing whatever you can to ease the stress of the day for your loved ones.

* Love is being non-judgemental

* Love is the best thing ever :)

If I come up with any more that aren't too cheesy, I'll post again.

Looking forward to hearing how things go at the doctor today. You guys are very much in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Great Random tuesday post.So true!
I havent had a chance to come on forthe last few days so I want you to know now that I hope everything works out with your dh.That's scary!
Love is friends, blogging, a big box of chocolate!

Mz.Elle said...

Awww what a sweet girl you have!

savvycityfarmer said...

It's so fun thinking alike with this many gals...lots more chats to come.

Michelle said...

I hope everything went well at the appt this morning!

I really enjoyed your list of what "love is" but I really, really, really, really enjoyed Sydney's list! How sweet was that!

Anonymous said...

Great post today Cheryl!

Phats said...

Hi Cheryl
I am in a bad mood because of our damn winter storm going on, that is being called "near blizzard" conditions fun right :)

Our game with IU was moved to Thurs, and now I won't be able to go, not that I would have gone tomorrow because i'd probably get a ticket since we're under level 2 snow emergency and you are not allowed on the roads!

Send me your warm weather please!!!

Barb said...

I won't even try to compete with Scout's list. But I'd say "love is" the sisterhood that's formed out here in bloggityville.

I'm so glad Gary's home. I know you're both eager to get some answers about what's causing these strokes. Hope you'll let us know. It's very weird when he's apparently so healthy otherwise.

Happy Valentine's Day, Cheryl.

Leah said...

Awww Cheryl.. I teared up reading this..kids are so real and honest and what a great observation she made of what love is.

Bare said...

What a wonderful post! You know, it's so wild how insightful children truly are! Of course, I loved the pics, as always :0)

And my "Love is" comment--

Love is getting me a sausage biscuit from Hardee's without even asking for it :0)

the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Love Is the Wray Family - You guy's have got such a great family and your love for one another is just shines through in everything you say and do!!!!!!!

Will be thinking of Gary and the appointment and of you of course!!!

S is just the cutest!!!

Take Care

Cinderella said...

How did the appointment go? I am dying to know!!

Happy Valentines Day Cheryl!! The love you and Gary share is beautiful and strong!!! I admire you for that!!

Lots of love!!!

Cinders =)

Anonymous said...

Love is not having to ever learn how to cook...LOL.

Seriously now, love is having such wonderful friends in my life, like you! Thank you for a wonderful friendship! I look forward to "seeing" you each morning or afternoon through our blogs! Happy Valentine's Day!

Renee said...

I love their answers, so sweet. And yours too. Have a great Valentine's Day.