Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Happy Random Tuesday!!!

Okay, can you all believe that it is Tuesday all over AGAIN? How do my days and weeks just run together these days? It seems like the summer just started and here it is August already! (and not just the beginning of August, but already to the middle of the month!) I think it's just me getting old (I will be one year shy of 40 at the end of this month!! yikes!)!

I know I've already done this tag once or twice, but it's a really good one because it gives me the chance to share more of my life with you--and learn more about all of you! And, besides, my sweet husband tagged me with it so I guess I better do it! (Gary doesn't blog too often--he's not quite addicted like me, although he did get me started on the whole thing--but he does have some really great posts once softball season is going on. His blog is a great place to keep track of all of our family sporting updates!)

So, with Gary's prodding, here are 8 (More!) Random Facts About Me...

(1) I really love to cook, and especially love to BAKE! For some reason, I've become the designated dessert maker for family get-togethers and when it's birthday time I really love to get creative! I don't know how to decorate cakes (I have no clue how to do those fancy frostings and roses and stuff), but I love to make up my own creations. Over the years, for all three girls' birthdays and also for my niece and nephew, I have made a Butterfly, Blue's Clues, Princess Castle, Hot Air Balloons, Sunshine, Guitar, Hello Kitty, and Barbie Doll Cake!!! I love celebrating birthdays, so I totally enjoy making these cakes! (I may try and drag out some pics of some of these someday and share on here!)

(2) My very favorite t-shirt (in fact, I have it on right now!) is my Rolling Stones Steel Wheels Concert Tour t-shirt. You know the kind? It's been worn and washed so many times that it's almost transparent. It just feels SO good!! I also love this shirt because it's from one of my favorite concert-going experiences--all the way back in 1989! A bunch of us from college went and it's the only time I've ever camped out for tickets. We all had lawn chairs and a big ole party in the mall parking lot before they went on sale. I have to say that I would encourage everyone to camp out at least once in your life for concert tickets. (In fact, if you do this meme I think you should include as one of your facts the details of your camping out for tickets if you've done it!! lol)

(3) I mentioned (I think!) a few days ago that I have some fun writing projects coming up. One of them is that I'm working on a second edition of a book I did MANY years ago. It was a book that was really so much fun to work on because it totally utitilized my love for sports. Called College Nicknames, it tells all about the history of the nicknames and mascots of college teams across the country. It was written back in 1993 and we've decided to do a second edition. There is a lot of updating to do and I have to get permissions from Sports Information Directors to use logos and such (which will be a pretty big task!), but it will be really fun to get done and I think it will sell pretty well! (So, if any of you need to know why Texas' live mascot is named Bevo, just let me know!! lol)

(4) Because I am a total geek (or a Would-Be Drama Queen; not sure which one!), I CANNOT WAIT to see the premiere of "High School Musical 2" this Friday night on Disney Channel. I loved the first one as much as my girls and know pretty much all the songs, so we're (I'm!!) excited about the sequel!

(5) I think I already revealed that I'm a sports fanatic (just a TINY bit!! lol), and it's not just about college football and my beloved Crimson Tide! I'm also a huge Atlanta Braves baseball fan and Delaney and I watch every game that comes on television. We love this time of year because the pennant race is in full swing! I also love to watch tennis, ice skating, basketball (March Madness is great!!), and don't even get me started on the Olympics. I am the idiot you can hear yelling very loudly for such sports as water polo and luge! LOL The only two sports I don't really like are Nascar (I know, I know...I live in the South, so I'm supposed to be a huge Nascar nut but I just can't consider that a sport!) and Hockey (sorry, Jeff! I'm totally blaming this on my geography; if I had been raised up North, I'm sure I'd be a hockey freak!)

(6) Remember when I told you about us getting my niece Lori 16 different little gifts for her 16th birthday? (We got her earrings, necklaces, nail polish, journals, stuff like that.). Well, it gave me serious flashbacks because I had moved to Alabama from Arkansas when I was 15 and was still making friends; my two best friends from Arkansas sent me a big box full of 16 separate gifts when I turned 16 and it just made my day! In fact, I still have one of the gifts--a stuffed frog named Fleegle--sitting on my bedroom dresser! AND...I'm lucky enough to still keep in touch with my two friends even though I had lost track with them for many years. My friend Margie lives in Nebraska and just got remarried; I so wanted to go to the wedding, but it was in the middle of our World Series trip to the beach, but I would love to see her someday soon. And my other friend, Debby, lives in Texas and is currently battling cervical cancer so I keep in touch with her pretty regularly to see how she's doing. Pretty cool--to have such great memories of friends and still know them more than 25 years later!

(7) If I could be anything (you know, have one of those DREAM jobs), I would have to pick one of these two--Either to be a sports broadcaster for a major network (I can totally see myself working the sidelines at college football games!) or to be a star for the Food Network or Travel Channel. I can only imagine how awesome it would be to travel around the States and the world simply to EAT!!

(8) You call have seen my girls and you know how slim and petite they all are. Well, they didn't start out that way! I had HUGE babies. My smallest was Delaney at 8 pounds, 14 ounces. McKenna was 8 pounds, 15 ounces; and Sydney was 9 pounds, 9 ounces. I gained 5o pounds with each of them and kinda took advantage of the "eating for two" idea. I also just think that God knew I was scared of tiny babies. I couldn't imagine holding a little 6 or 7 pound baby, so instead He gave me full-sized ones!

Okay..there you have it and you know what to do next!!

Your challenge--should you accept it!!!--is to post 8 random facts about yourself either here in my comments section or on your own blog (and tell us you're posting it so we can all go read it!). If you don't have that much energy, give us all at least ONE new fact about yourself!

And now I'm off to get busy with my Tuesday!! Can't wait to hear from you all!!

23 comments:

Leah said...

Love reading those facts! I'm gonna be right there with you watching HSM2. And I don't even have teen/pre-teen girls LOL.

Anonymous said...

You ARE a sports nut! Of course we knew this already.
And, yes, we are doing the w hole high school musical thing too.
And, boy, big babies!!

TK Angels said...

Love your random Tuesdays. I am going to be a baby and share one random thing on me. I am still a Michael Landon fan and watch reruns of "Little House on the Prairie" Sad?

Take care,
Love,
Terri

Check out my blog-you were awarded a blogging award.

Dawn Bibbs said...

My goodness, you ARE an interesting little lady :-). Reading your answers brought a few things to my memory. And that was really cool for me. One being, that I HATE to cook :-). But I use to be a cake decorator. I even did it on the side for some friends & family. I too have made several character cakes as well as quite a few wedding cakes (stairs and all), lol. I still have all of the icing tips. So fun.

Another thing that came to mind when I read about 16 gifts. We did that for my oldest daughters 12th birthday. We bought her a dozen gifts and made up 12 family trivia questions for her to answer. As she got them right, she got to open a gift. What was so funny about that was, that a couple of the gifts she didn't get to open for a few days, because she didn't know the answers :-).

Wow, you did have some big ole babies. My oldest was 8lbs. 5ozs. When I was pregnant with Jayla, I told the doctor that 8lbs. 5ozs. was as big as I could go :-). And if she thought Jayla was gonna be bigger than that, she'd have to take her early...SMILE.

Great post, Cheryl. Thanks for sharing.

Adrienne said...

Great post! I Love these facts about you!

Kimberly said...

I will be watching High School Musical 2 also but with my sil Telah and possibly thirteen girls. It should be fun.Have a great day.

Cheryl Wray said...

Leah--I love HSM, even if I didn't have girls!!
Gin--I LOVE sports!!!
TK--Nope, not sad at all! I still love that show too.And my dh loves The Waltons still!
Dawn--That's so cool that you used to decorate cakes!!And I LOVE the 12 gifts and trivia questions. How fun is that?
Adrienne--lol
Kimberly--13 gals watching it? How FUN!!!

Kelly said...

1. skydived from 11,ooo feet tandem.
2. love to sing
3. dream job: host a travel show or be a lead singer in a band
4. love playing sports
5. I am a cat person
6. had avg to small babies (6#4oz and 6# 15 oz.
7. I love reality show Amazing Race
8. I miss comedians like Johnny Carson

Melissa said...

awesome list of facts!

I LOVE baking to and am also the designated dessert maker in the family and wouldn't want it any other way. ;)

BTW-posted a new recipe on my blog you might enjoy

Andy said...

i'm thrilled about high school musical two, too. i love the thing about the 16 seperate gifts. i love things like that too but i however had a small baby and i hope that the next time i have one which will be a while from now that they aren't as small as this one. he's doing good though. he's now at 3lbs 12.5oz.

Dawn Bibbs said...

Hey there, it's me again. Just wanted to let you know that you've been tagged. At your convenience, check out my blog to get the details.

I forgot to mention earlier that I too, have a daughter who's into HSM2. Can you believe it? She says, Zach & Corbin are the BOMB! (insert rolling eyes here). We've even been invited to a HSM2 party on Friday night. Woo hoo...can't wait! NOT!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

This is such a great list! I love that you make cakes and desserts.Le tme know if you ever want to share!!
(Hugs)

Lisa

Anonymous said...

1.I am in love with Orlando Blume!! And I think that my mom knows that!!
2.Not 2 brag,but Im AWESOME at softball and i love it.
3.I love to sing and very good at it.
4.My fav dessert is ICECREAM,ICECREAM,ICECREAM and CHEESECAKE,CHEESECAKE,CHESECAKE!!All the way!!
5.LOVE Hannah Motanna!Its my fav tv show.
6.I went to the world series for softball!!
7.Im sensative and a BIG drama queen.
8.I can not stand cheerleading and soccer!Personally I think that they are both overrated!

That was fun!!!

Jeff said...

Wow...8 random facts.
First, two comments from yours. Can't wait for HSM2! Big delimma, what to watch live Friday night, HSM2 or the Doctor Who/Flash Gordon lineup on Sci-Fi. The DVR will be working on one or the other.

Ahhhh... Steel Wheels! Pizza delivered to Geoff's motorcycle outside of Parisans! Fun stuff. Sadly those seats were crap! ;)

1. We just got the first two DVD of Secrets of Isis. Can't wait to relive this Saturday morning series.

2. I just downloaded the HSM2 soundtrack tonight too. Can't wait to start listening to that in my ipod tomorrow.

3. On Friday, I celebrate seven years at the same job. The longest I've ever held down a single job, usually I bail closer to five years. (is this good or bad?)

4. I've been loving comparing notes on HP7 with everyone who has finished it.

5. I have a big urge to go back and see Rent again before the two original guys leave in September! It was so cool to go back last month and see them back for the first time in about 10 years.

6. I buy lottery tickets only when the jackpot is over $100 million.

7. I have gotten hooked on Supernatural over the summer. The creepy/funny show has totally won me over.

8. Coming up with 8 random things that might be somewhat interesting has been difficult :)

Anonymous said...

This is random as fast as I can think about them. I promise I won’t
mention my aches and pains except on my trip in #1.
1. I love England. I was in heaven in London this year although I hurt
the entire time, swelled ankles, etc. I could have stayed all day in
Westminster Abbey, St. Paul’s Cathredral, etc. just to discover every
famous person buried there.
2. I love British novels and novelists—Jane Austen, Dickens, Brontes,
etc. Never read Harry Potter. HA!
3. I like British tea. I found the loveliest tea room in all of
England, I am sure, this last June. It has a secret passageway to
Windsor Castle. The tea room is about a thousand years old. The tea
there was beyond words, best I’ve ever had.
4. I like British movies. Just saw the Queen. Enjoyed it although it
was very docu-drama. Helen Mirren was great. She is my favorite
actress. I love Pride and Prejudice, Remains of the Day, Howard’s End,
etc., etc.
5. I like British actresses. I love Helen Mirren. I said that before. I
love Maggie Smith, Emma Thompson and all those other young actresses
from England.
6. I like British actors. Hugh Grant!! Anthony Hopkins, Sean Connery,
Pierce Brosnan, the late Richard Burton, etc., etc.

Wendy said...

Hey Cheryl, I took your challenge. I posted 8 things about me. Go check it out if you have time. I loved yours. Thanks so much for inspiring me to write tonight. Love your blogs. Keep it up...

Cheryl Wray said...

Kelly--There is NO way I would skydive. I am deathly afraid of heights!!! Loved your list!!!
Melissa--One of my fave things on your blog is the desserts!! Going to check out your recipe!
Andy--Ah, so tiny!! Praying that everything continues to go well with the little one!
Dawn--I checked out the tag and I LOVE it!! It will be my Random Tues next week!!! yay! And you are killing me with the HSM2! Hope you enjoy the party!! lol (Adrienne and I are throwing our own!-- scrapbooking AND High School Musical!)

Cheryl Wray said...

Lisa--I'll be sure to mail you some next time I bake! :-)
Delaney--You are killing me!! lol Yep, i think I pretty much knew all of that!! ha!!

Jeff--Your list is GREAT!! ISIS!! No way!!!!! Cool! I have not seen Flash Gordon yet, but have heard it's great. Now I gotta go check my listings and find out when it is! Delaney will be so jealous that you already have the soundtrack. She will so want it on her Ipod now!! And I had FORGOTTEN about pizza delivered to the Mall!!! And your 8 things were GREAT!

Mom--You are too funny!!! I love that you love all things British! Since you love Maggie Smith, you really do need to watch the HPotter movies! She is great in them!

Wendy--Yay!!! I'm going to check it out right now!!

Susie Q said...

I LOVE your random facts Cheryl. I have to say that I am a total geek about HSM and am just as excited about HSM2 as Grace is! I know. I am such a dork!


I adore your Mom's list! She and I would be great buds! I love England SO much...tea, Maggie Smith and Windsor Castle...*sigh*

This was fun. I think I will do this again...: )

Loved Delaney's comment too! She is a hoot like her Mama.

Love,
Sue

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Fun 8 facts! Enjoyed reading them. You and I can agree on the Nascar bit. Unfortunately for me, my husband luuuuves Nascar (he's from Montana. They're not supposed to even know what Nascar IS, for Pete's sake). But I don't care what he says - Nascar. Is. Not. A. Sport! Don't know about the Tide, though. (don't get excited - just kidding!lol) My oldest son's first pictures (from Sears, of course!ha), he's wearing an Alabama sweatsuit (my mom was born there). But I'm an Okie so GO SOONERS!lol
I particularly loved the part about your childhood friends. That's great and it's something to cherish. I hope your friend in Texas makes a full and speedy recovery!

Just Me Again said...

I am also anxiously waiting for High School Musical 2 in the Disney channel. And I hate to admit it, but I actually like Hanna Montana too. My daughter loves her and I don't know which one of us two is the biggest fan! LOL.

Anonymous said...

i dunno how you keep thinking up new facts about yourself!!?!?!

AngelConradie said...

teehee... that was me... dunno how it came out anonymous!