Tuesday, September 04, 2007

{a really materialistic} Random Tuesday

You know, I really do like to talk about the "deeper" things here on my blog! I think I spend plenty of adequate time talking here about my love for my family, my belief in the simple pleasures of life, the importance of my faith, even the struggles I go through.

But...

this morning is NOT the time for any of that!

Because...

I got to go shopping yesterday ALL BY MYSELF (abm= no children!), so I thought I would share my experiences and what I bought and then do a fun Shopping Random Tuesday with you.

I got up yesterday morning with no children to take to school, no breakfast to cook, and nowhere exactly to be. Gary was a wonderful husband and was totally cool with me going shopping by myself and just having a good time out with Me. So, cash in hand and with no child screaming about what she wanted, I headed out.

My rounds included . . .
~ Cato (where I love to buy clothes, because the stuff there is pretty trendy but totally appropriate for my age; and it's very inexpensive, so I can get several casual outfits that will survive the wear and tear of a softball mom's life),
~ Walmart (I would prefer Target, but we don't have on here on our side of town yet),
~ Hobby Lobby (of course!; and my scrapbook store was closed for Labor Day, so I couldn't go there!),
~ Big Lots (love to look for deals there!),
~ Costo (was closed also for LD, so I didn't get to wander around and eat free samples!),
~ Barnes & Noble (mmm...books!), and
~ Starbucks (mmm....frappucinnos!).

I ended up getting a whole pile of good things! Three pairs of pants, four shirts, and some jewelry at Cato (at a "shut up, you've got to be kidding me" price!); some scrapbook goodies (including a new paper pack from Love, Elsie, which I love; really, that line of products should be called Cheryl Loves Love Elsie!); a new Joan Hess mystery (she is my FAVE cozy mystery author and I SO wanted to start reading it last night but, of course, my power shopping wore me out and I was asleep by 11); and the coolest magazine called Scrapbook Play (it has like 200 fun challenges in it and I will SO be getting it out and challenging all of us with some ideas from it in the next day or two!).






I DIDN'T get a few things I wanted. I really wanted to get a pair of cute, fall canvas flats, and some more jewelry, but...my cash ran out AND apparently Sydney kept talking incessantly on and on and on...and it was time for me to come home! (Besides, football was about to come on tv again and I needed to be home to watch some of it!)

I'm also just still so super excited about all the birthday gifts I got. I have so many sweet people in my life who make my special days just so...special! I'm especially excited today about the picture frames I got. I ended up getting some from my sister-in-law Angel, my brother Christopher and sister-in-law Danielle, my parents, and Adrienne. Most of the pictures up in frames around my house right now are over a year old (at least!) and so I'm going to try and locate some pictures today to put into all of them. I love refreshing the house with new things and new looks, so that will be GOOD!

And now...finally...on to my Random Tuesday.

And, like I said, it's a totally materialistic post (as pretty much this whole post has been! lol). How about some shopping questions?

(And you know the drill--share your answers in the comments section or let us know that you're posting them on your blog. Or just read for your own enjoyment! lol)

1. Do you consider yourself a "shopaholic"?
Really, I'm not at all. I'm actually very cheap! I also don't use credit, so if I don't have it I can't go shop with it! I rarely buy clothes for myself, so going out yesterday was a real treat! I do like to buy books and scrapbook stuff, and I'm kind of a dollar tree nut because I love to find good deals! So, not so much a shopaholic..although I guess I could say I'm a Shopaholic Wannabe. LOL

2. What is your favorite place to shop for clothes?
I already mentioned Cato and why I love it. I also will buy clothes at some of the department stores like JcPenney's. And I LOVE to find a good deal at consignment shops.

3. Where is your favorite place to shop for books?
My favorite chain is definitely Barnes & Noble. But my favorite place to find books is at a thrift store not far from here; I can find the best selection there and it always makes me SO happy!

4. What is your favorite place to shop for groceries?
Publix really is my favorite because of the bakery section and produce section. I can get lost in there just looking at all the good stuff!

5. Do you like to shop "with a purpose"? Or do you like to browse?
I really like to have the time when I can just wander around and look at stuff. (I'm a girl that way!) But I don' t have time to do it very often!

6. What is the last thing you bought?
Gas.

7. What is the last thing you bought "just for you"?
Read my post! LOL

Now... have a GREAT Tuesday!!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. no, i hate to shop
2. i let my office buy most of my clothes. but when i shop for clothes i go shopping at santa's workshop.
3. I really like to get books from costco. but i also like to go to the thrift store and get books i would never buy new.
4. the closest grocery store to my current location.
5. i shop with a prpose. no time for browsing. too many other people in the house taking the browsing time.
6. clothes for the kids and a purse for my wife. I did not pick any of it.
7. harry potter book. deathly hallows

Anonymous said...

I WAS THE FIRST COMMENTOR. BUT FORGOT TO TELL WHO I AM.

BOB BOB

Adrienne said...

You had a good time!!!!
1. Umm In spurts! LOL
2. I have not bought clothing since MAY! *gasp* and then it was only a dress because I didn't have time to make for Jaelyn's graduation lol
3. AMAZON! LOL
4. Publix. THey do have the best produce EVER!
5. Mainly with a purpose, the only place I just browse is the SB store, and THAT can get me in trouble! LOL
6. Some glue dots!
7. Some glue dots! LOL

That was fuN!

Mississippi Songbird said...

All Right! Go Girl!

I got to go Garage Saling Saturday by myself.. it was such fun.. I LOVE those times. It's just neat..
So glad you had a wonderful weekend!

Linda said...

I love that you got to go by yourself. That's a treasure even when they get bigger.

Cheryl Wray said...

Bobby--HA!!! I was about to pop on and ask who Anonymous was. But I figured it was you--"kids and the wife."

Adrienne--Love your list! Yay for glue dots!!

Songbird--Oh, I haven't been garage saleing in ages! I'm really wanting to go do some thrift-shopping soon!

Linda--You're right!!

Renee said...

I love Cato too! SOunds like you made off with a lot of loot. Good for you.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Everyone needs a 'day' occasionally. It makes you a better mom & wife.
(that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

Unknown said...

1. Do you consider yourself a "shopaholic"?
Nope! Unless it's at a craft store. I really don't like to shop. I am not a huge fan of crowded stores.

2. What is your favorite place to shop for clothes?
I don't shop for clothes unless I absolutely HAVE to. I never think anything looks good on me so I prefer not to shop. LOL The last place I found jeans that I really liked was at Sam's (of all places)

3. Where is your favorite place to shop for books?
Barnes & Noble & Borders

4. What is your favorite place to shop for groceries?
I despise shopping for groceries as much as I do shopping for clothes. LOL But when I am not too lazy I go on base and shop at the commissary. If it's a really quick pit stop I will go to Hart or Walmart (UGH!)

5. Do you like to shop "with a purpose"? Or do you like to browse?
I am a in and out kind of girl! Let's get it. Let's GO! LOL

6. What is the last thing you bought?
Gas.

7. What is the last thing you bought "just for you"?
Blue Bunny Super Chunky Cookie Dough Ice Cream! YUM YUM YUMMIFUL!

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff said...

Love your shopping list. Sounds like you had a fantastic time!

On to the Random Tuesday-ness...

1) Do you consider yourself a "shopaholic"?
No. I need to be forced to shop, and when I do it needs to have purpose.

2. What is your favorite place to shop for clothes?
I'm a walking Gap commercial. On any given day it's a safe bet everything I'm wearing is from Gap.

3. Where is your favorite place to shop for books?
For a chain: Borders. For a non-chain: Oscar Wilde Bookshope. For online: Amazon

4. What is your favorite place to shop for groceries?
Fresh Direct becuase I order it online and they bring it to my apartment. Easy way to grocery shop ever!

5. Do you like to shop "with a purpose"? Or do you like to browse?
It depends. I can browse if I'm in the mood. But I usually shop with purpose.

6. What is the last thing you bought?
Coffee at Starbucks this morning

7. What is the last thing you bought "just for you"?
I bought a new laptop for me. I'm changing jobs in a couple weeks and I'm going to have to give the company issued laptop back and I couldn't face the idea of not having portable computing.

Leah said...

Glad you got a day to shop aby! LOL That sounds like fun and I may have to check out a CATO!

Susie Q said...

Shoppin' by yourself is awesome! I seldom get to do it but it is relaxing! Especially when I shop in a great bookstore or antique shop! *smile*

Glad you had fun and found some super things!

Love,
Sue

Anonymous said...

wow! I would give my left foot for a target!!! I am soo jealous! I love to shop and have been called a shopaholic but usually when I shop, I buy practical things or do christmas ahead of time or whatever. I always buy books from this consignment book store where I trade mine cuz I devour a 500 pager in a coupe hours.
I usually shop at Superstore cuz there is no "SAVING" going on at the Save on Foods!
I love to browse but usually I have my brood and I only have one little girly browser the boys want none of it
I last bought myself a cool Vans purse with butterflies and it was $50.00!!! I totally had buyers remorse and took it back. My sweet boy of 10 said he wanted to buy it for me with his paper route money cuz "I deserved it" i kissed him right there all mom and mush in the store but declined his offer.
I am going to go hog wild in England, I'll post pics of all the goods when I get back:)

Adriann said...

The Elsie paper look yummy! Glad you had a fun time to shop without children. Those moments are so nice.

Theresa Tyree said...

Hi Cheryl!
1. I'm a shopoholic when it comes to scrappin stuff.
2. I buy my clothes at Goodwill so that I have more money left over for scrapping stuff- see #1.
3. I buy books online.
4. I live in a dinky town w/o many choices so it's WM b/c I can get groceries plus everything else there in one stop.
5. I love to browse if time allows.
6. A bag of chips from the vending machine. (This is why I am not a size 8!)
7. The last book I bought was "The Not So Big House" by Sara Susanka. (it's an idea book for home builders)

I'm glad you had some "me" time. I rarely buy myself clothes too so I know what a treat it is! Enjoy your goodies!

Theresa Tyree said...

Cheryl, I forgot to say, I LOVE Cato too but there's not one around me anymore! :o(

Also, where'd you get that Elsie paper? Don't tell me you found it at Big Lots, did you???? If so, I envision a mad rush to Big Lots by scrappers everywhere!

Dawn Bibbs said...

Hi Cheryl. Wow, a day ALL ALONE to spend money? Now that's MY kinda day! :-) Sounds like you got some great finds...goodie for you.

Well, here are my answers:
1. I do not really consider myself a "shopaholic". However,I DO enjoy shopping. I have a REALLY hard time shopping for myself (some little thing about not feeling that I "deserve" stuff). I LOVE to shop for my family and my home and for scrapbook stuff though.
2. My favorite place to buy clothes for myself, on the rare ocassion that I do, would be Target or order from Jessica London/Chadwicks of Boston. OR...any place that sells something that'll fit me. I LOVE to shop for Jayla at Target.
3. I'm not much of a book person. But I LOVE magazines. However, I do love to go into Barnes & Noble and look at cookbooks and of course, magazines.
4. My favorite place to buy groceries has got to be Publix. Although, Walmart has come a long way and has really good prices. Not to mention,I can grab little scrapbook stuff from there too if need be.
5. Most of the time, I like to shop with a purpose. But I do LOVE to browse. Actually, that's what I do most days...contrary to popular belief by my family :-).
6. The last thing I bought was a jar of Classico Spaghetti Sauce for my MIL, a bottle of Dr. Pepper and an Almond Joy.
7. The last thing I bought for ME? See items 2 & 3 on question #6...hee hee.

That was fun. Thanks and have a great day.

Kelly said...

I love to shop. And there is nothing better than doing it without kids!!!!