Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Better late than never.... Happy Anniversary Gary!!
Today--May 27th--is our 13th anniversary, and I'm just getting around to posting a little message for my sweetie.
So, how about some fun thoughts about love and marriage?
"Love is the thing that enables a woman to sing while she mops up the floor after her husband has walked across it in his barn boots." (Hoosier Farmer)
"Spouse: someone who'll stand by you through all the trouble you wouldn't have had if you'd stayed single." (Anonymous)
"It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life." (Rita Rudner)
"The difficulty with marriage is that we fall in love with a personality, but must live with a character." (Peter Devries)
"Never go to bed mad. Stay up and fight." (Phyllis Diller)
"Infatuation is when you think he's as sexy as Robert Redford, as smart as Henry Kissinger, as noble as Ralph Nader, as funny as Woody Allen, and as athletic as Jimmy Conners. Love is when you realize that he's as sexy as Woody Allen, as smart as Jimmy Connors, as funny as Ralph Nader, as athletic as Henry Kissinger and nothing like Robert Redford - but you'll take him anyway." (Judith Viorst)
And some sweet thoughts...
"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that." (Michael Leunig)
"A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person." (Mignon McLaughlin)
"An anniversary is a time to celebrate the joys of today, the memories of yesterday, and the hopes of tomorrow." (Anonymous)
"A happy marriage is a long conversation that always seems too short." (Andre Maurois)
"True love stories never have endings." (Richard Bach)
and my favorite...
"Without love, what are we worth? Eighty-nine cents! Eighty-nine cents worth of chemicals walking around lonely." (Hawkeye, from "M*A*S*H")
We have had a very nice day today. We met for a wonderful lunch at one of my favorite restaurants, Gary brought me flowers, and we enjoyed some time alone just the two of us. We will celebrate more at the end of the week, when we have an overnight getaway.
And now, because it's Random Tuesday, I thought I would make this one of those "7 random (or weird, or cool, or strange) fact" posts, only it will be 7 random facts about Gary and I in honor of our anniversary.
1. We are on the complete opposite ends of the political spectrum, yet we have learned to agree to disagree. Unless, of course, we are making snide comments about each other's intelligence... or lack thereof. (Seriously, election year is always a bit tense. Gary has been known to hang victory signs on our walls, and I'm seriously thinking of doing it when my candidates win this year. LOL)
2. Despite our differences on political matters, we have common ground on all of the things that REALLY matter. Like... college football, good wine, our children, and our faith.
3. We met on a dance floor. And then Gary proposed to me on the same dance floor.
4. I used to say Gary looked like John Travolta. He used to say I looked like Sarah Jessica Parker. Maybe we still kinda look like those stars, yet we have both gained about 20 pounds each since our marriage (okay, for me it's probably 25). Yikes!
5. Before we met, I had never listened to a country song. Before we met, Gary had never watched a college basketball game. We have expanded each other's horizons!
6. We always go somewhere overnight for our anniversary. We can't wait for our Friday night trip at the end of the week!
7. Our wedding processional song was "Canon in D" by Pachebel. The song we danced to at our wedding was "Tupelo Honey" by Van Morrison. And yet the song we often think of "our song" is "Indian Outlaw" by Tim McGraw, because our first date was to see Tim in concert about six months before he really became famous. Probably about the strangest "our song" you've ever heard, right? LOL
So...Happy Anniversary sweetie!!! I love you!!!!!!!!!!