Thursday, November 13, 2008

Our Thursday

We are busy, busy, BUSY today because we are getting ready for this...


Delaney is in her middle school beauty pageant tonight. Her dress is gorgeous and she is so excited!

After I give the initial disclaimer that I am "religiously and politically opposed to beauty pageants," I go on to tell Delaney to have fun! I never did pageants when I was school and have always thought they were a bit silly and shallow (now, if they'd let Delaney dive for a softball while on stage for her talent, that would be a pageant I could handle!), but then I saw that most of the girls do it at the schools here because they get to dress up like Cinderella for a night.

That said...I do have Momma's Rules for Being in a Beauty Pageant (similar to Momma's rules for watching college football games, that I shared several posts ago)...

Thou Shalt Not Be as Competitive in the Pageant as you are in any Athletic Competition. Delaney is very competitive. I have told her that the first sign of "I want to win at all costs!" means she will never put on a pretty, sequined dress again.

Thou Shalt Not Question the Judge's Intelligence. I tell Delaney that, on any given night, the judges could pick totally different girls to win. It's a judgment call; who knows what they are looking for! (But with that being said...this rule really applies mostly to Gary, who thinks the judges are idiots if they don't pick our girl!)

Thou Shalt Not Turn into a "Pageant Mom" at the Last, Unexpected Moment. This one's for me...I'll try not to criticize Delaney for how she's practicing her walk or tell her a million times to smile big to the judges.

Thou Shalt Not Get a Spray Tan. I kid you not. There are parents paying for their children to get a spray tan for these things.

Thou Shalt Not Get Any Sort of Parisienne Nail Tips. Not even sure what these things are called, but I guarantee that there are parents getting these for their children. (I did cave in and I'm taking her for a quick color polish. Because, let's be honest, getting a simple manicure is one of the simple joys of being a female.)

Thou Shalt Not Get Your Eyebrows Waxed. Okay, okay... do I sound like I'm nit-picking? But hey...my daughter is just 12-years-old.

Thou Shalt Listen to my Rantings about "True Beauty Being What's on the Inside." The girls probably get tired of that one. But it's so very true.

Now, even though I have these hard-and-fast rules, that does not mean that I won't turn into a blubbering pile of gaa-gaa when I see how gorgeous my sweet girl is tonight up on stage. I will be determined that she should win, and will probably question the judge's intelligence (and rearing) when she doesn't.

I will treasure the moment that I see her twirl around under the spotlight. I will smile a little smile and shed a little tear when I think back to her as a three-year-old, prancing around in her dress-up clothes.

I will tell myself that these pageants are just fine...because she will have told me just an hour before how pretty she feels. And that's always a good thing.

13 comments:

Adrienne said...

I am excited too! I just finished taking some pics of Jaelyn's dress!! I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE your list lol

Cheryl Wray said...

Yay! I can't wait to see Delaney and Jaelyn all dressed up!!

Faye said...

I have 3 sons, so this was never even in my "Milestones". Enjoy this special day, where Delaney gets to be dressed up as the Princess she is to you every day :)

Gretchen said...

Love the dress...love the rules...love the sentimental mommy.

Can't wait to see pictures of the 12 year old princess for a day.

xxxooogretchen

Linda said...

awww, girl, that just so brought a tear to my eye. I miss my girls being little and 3 and twirling around in little dresses with their little plastic high heel Cinderella shoes. Oh that was so long ago. Delaney listen to your mom...she's right on all counts... you go get em girl

{hugs} and good luck.

Anonymous said...

I think it's so cool Delaney can be both a jock and a pageant competitor! That might be Capra in six years, only it's soccer instead of baseball. Can't wait to see pictures!!

hippo chick said...

I want pictures, of Delaney and Jaelyn. As long as they are having fun, it's a good thing. I know how you feel about not wanting to turn into "ONE OF THOSE MOMS". Don't worry, you won't.

Have fun.

~hippo hugs~
P.

Auburn Kat said...

I love the rules!

Laura said...

Good luck, Delaney! And your mother is telling you the truth! Beauty comes from the inside!!

CyndiAKADisneyqueen said...

You need to be on twitter so I can get play by play announcements like Adrienne is giving (lol).

Phats said...

Thou Shall Not Get A Spray Tan hahahaha that's hilarious! Good Luck to her I am sure she'll do great

ROLL TIDE!

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Beautiful dress.

Trust me on the eyebrow waxing rule. . . get them waxed for her BEFORE she discovers the tweezers. Just a little info from one mother of two "older" daughters. They get ahold of the tweezers and ruin the shape. Totally. Been getting the 14 year old's brows waxed since the 7th grade.

Blessings,

Sher

Monogram Queen said...

I seriously love that dress. Gorgeous color. Striking.
I abhor pageants though despite being a former queen myself.