Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"I Have a Random Mom"

On our way home from school yesterday, Sydney came up with a pretty interesting observation about me. She said, out of the blue: "I have a random Mom." It made me laugh, because I was wondering what in the world she meant by that; and did she really even understand what "random" meant?

I asked her what she meant and she answered, "You sing random songs and dance random dances. And you're just silly."

I laughed with her about it and said, "Why thank you, Sydney. I think that's a pretty good way of describing me."

I have, after all, been known to burst out into random dancing in the middle of the grocery store and I am often saying to all the girls, "Ooh, that makes me think of the song (insert random song title here)," and then I proceed to give them a lesson in music according to Abba, or The Beatles, or U2, or Aerosmith (or any other number of musicians). They experience me being pretty random all the time, I guess, now that I think about it.

And I actually think it's a pretty cool compliment to get.

It means that I'm going with the flow, having a good time, and enjoying life with my family! And it means that Sydney's actually seeing and sensing it...which is an especially good thing! (In fact, I am probably most "random" with Sydney because I realize with her how important it is. She and I will, at the drop of a hat, run into the kitchen to whip up muffins together. Or we will decide it's time to play Go Fish. Or we'll sit in the car for an extra ten minutes just to listen to "Peace Train" by Cat Stevens--which, True Story!, we did Sunday afternoon after church.)

Sydney's comment also made me smile because I'm pretty random on this blog too. In fact, it's Wednesday morning, which means that I failed to post a Random Tuesday message for you all. So, for your enjoyment (?), I submit some Late Random Tuesday/Wednesday ramblings. If you would like to join in the random fun, post your own 5 "things"(things going on right now in your life; things you're thankful for; things you're loving; whatever random way you wanna go with it!) in my comments section or post them on your own blog (and let us know about it)...

5 Things

1. I am extremely grateful that Sydney's reaction to kindergarten has evolved from "I am NOT going back to school" (on the first night) to "I only cried a little bit today because I missed-ed you" (second day) to "I cried really silent and Brianna went and told Mrs. White I missed you" (third day) to "Today was GREAT! I didn't cry at all and I carried your note with me to P.E. so I could remember you" (on Monday; I had written a note for her that said "I love you" and "You rock" and "Love, Mom" and assorted messages for her to take with her) to "It was the best day yet! I didn't miss you at all and didn't even look at the note" (yesterday). I knew kindergarten would be an adjustment, but now she seems to really be loving it. She comes home wanting to do her homework, and telling me everything they did in class (yesterday, she was especially excited about Music class). The beginning of school has been a bit traumatic, so this evolution in her attitude has been wonderful!

2. College football cannot get here quick enough. I'm so desperate that I've actually been watching Canadian football and all the "classic" college games they show on a cable station here (and I've usually seen them already several times!). Sept 3 is circled on my calendar (that's opening night and I will watch every game that comes on) and Sept. 5 is circled really BIG on my calendar (the first Saturday, and Bama's opening game against Virgina Tech).

3. I really don't like getting old. Getting old in spirit is just fine...because I still feel very young at heart and in spirit...but getting old physically really stinks. It seems like my bones creak more and any under-the-weather-feeling I get is magnified. Yuck!

4. I went to see "Julie & Julia" this past weekend with my best friend, Angela, and we had a great time! It was a really great blend of several things I love...Meryl Streep (who is just amazing), lots of delicious food, and blogging. (McKenna's friend, Stephanie, had seen it the week before and told me, "That movie was all about you. Cooking and blogging.")

5. We're having a youth retreat this weekend at church, and I'm getting to do lots of fun things with it. Despite their bad (i.e., unfair!) reputation, I love teenagers!

I could randomly go on and on and on about other things in life right now, but I think I will stop right there and let you take over.

I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday and I'll talk with you again soon!

18 comments:

Daisy said...

I'm there with you on the getting old. In spirit, there is no way I feel like I am 57. But physically, my bones ache,the vision isn't what it used to be, the metabolism is at a screaching halt and ya gotta love all the tests the doctor puts you through after 50.

Lynilu said...

I love hearing how Sydney is progressing. Just on schedule, but I know it seemed forever to her and her mommy. All is well. :)

And I love hearing that you are a random mom! When one granddaughter was about the same age, I was dubbed the "weird grandma," for similar reasons (bright clothes I wore, "millions" of colors of nail polish, for my playful nature, etc.). I loved it be we learned the word "eccentric" on that day! she's now 20 and she loves to greet me with "Hi, Weird Grammy!"

Cheryl Wray said...

Daisy--Isn't that the truth? And I think it happens at 40 too...because I feel older a lot lately (I'll be 41 on the 31st!)/

Lynilu--I just LOVE that!!!! Weird Grammy is awesome!

hippo chick said...

I'm definitely going to post some random things about my life this afternoon.

Right now, I am sooo happy that Scout has made a good transition to kindergarten. I was sure she would. After all, she has a mom who goes with the flow, right?

Growing old has been pretty tough on me. Mostly, I don't like looking old, but my niece made me feel better about it when she said, "You are only old when you don't know how to have fun anymore." Isn't that cool. I think that means you and I will never grow old.

Sorry for such a long comment.

~hippo hugs~

Adrienne said...

Awww Sydney is just THE cutest! It's amazing the things they see when we don't think they are paying attention!

Gin said...

Well, we all know that were gonna hear alot about football very soon Ha ha! I love it though.

And, yes, Sydney is so cute.

LZ Blogger said...

Cheryl ~ That top photo... I'd recognize that box anywhere! It's Krispy Kreme! I could recognize them from a block away! YUM YUM! Thaks Random Mom! ~ jb///

Unknown said...

I have to admit that face book makes it easy to not visit your blog - not good! I love your blog, always have.
"Random" is a word the kids seem to use a lot these days and I totally get why you took it as a compliment. Because of my MD, things always have to be planned and well thought through. While I was always an organized person, before my movement became so restricted and things like access to places something I had to consider, I was extremely spontaneous. A physical disability kind of strips you of that to a large extent. I therefore have to find other ways of being spontaneous with my kid and I do. I am always "envious" of all the activity I see you rushing about partaking in, in your life - so good on you - enjoy the gift. RANDOM ROCKS - and even if it's a bit slower than others, I support it totally! (PS - I even breathed some life into my blog on Monday when I was off face book for a while.)

Cheryl Wray said...

Hippo--You're niece is SO right and I just know that you are so much fun to be around! (Just wish we were closer by so we could have joint fun!) I'll pop by your blog to check our your randomness!

Cheryl Wray said...

Adrienne--You know that I can't always wait to hear what Sydney has to say!

Gin--Yes...Football is VERY soon!!!

LZ--Mmm, Krispy Kremes is right. Some of my favorite things in the world. :-)

Dawn--Well, FB has also sapped some of the blogging energy out of me. I post here less than I'd like to, but I try to get on here at least two or three times a week. I know it must be frustrating to be limited physically--especially when you WANT to be active. I know you still live a full life, though! (I'm gonna pop by your blog too!)

Laura said...

Lucky you! I spent the entire day with my daughter - before she starts Prek-4 tomorrow - bought her everything she wanted, but when I finally said "no," to something (I can't even remember what it was...) I get told, "You don't love me anymore! You don't ever let me have what I want!" And let me just mention that this happened in Build-A-Bear workshop and I'm REALLY beginning to hate that store! It does nothing, but cause problems for us!!

Gretchen said...

Your football addiction is hi-larious, and seriously one of the things I love about you.

I'm sure you've read this, but The Kissing Hand helped my dtr get thru those first weeks of kindergarten. Sounds like Sydney is doing just swimmingly though.

One of my favorite bloggers is Bev, and you and she remind me of each other in a lot of ways. Here's a link, if you'd like to say hi. She just blogged about Julia and Julie, too. :)

http://lifeofgrits.blogspot.com

Cheryl Wray said...

Laura-Oh no! Sometimes they just have "those" days, don't they? :-) Sydney went to Build-a-Bear for the first time EVER about a month ago for a birthday party and she loved it...but I will NOT be taking her there often. LOL

Gretchen--The Kissing Hand just about made me lose it after Sydney's first day of school! I will go check out Bev; Thanks!

Edleen said...

so cute the Random Mom thing :) you're such a cool Mom Cheryl!

have a wonderful week!

Stephenie said...

Yay! Thanks for my honorable mention :] I told you that you'd love that movie. I adored it so :]

Earlier, when Mal and I were over there, we asked Sydney what she learned today in school. She replied with "Oh, nothing really. But we did go to this music class and learned a silly dance. The song was about how an elephant has wrinkles...or something. I'm not sure. Alls I know is the dance was silly" Haha She's the cutest :]

Anonymous said...

Love this post (of course), but what I really loe is that picture up top on your banner. Yum, yum.

Marg

Unknown said...

I think I would take being random as a compliment too! It helps keep everyone around you guessing! LOL!

I am so glad to hear that Sydney is adapting to Kindergarten.

LOVE that you sent little notes with her!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing the things that come from the mouth of our babies!! I love it and your random list!!