On this Thanksgiving Eve, I'm sitting at the dining room table as I type. There is the smell of cream cheese cookies wafting from the kitchen, the glow of the newly-decorated Christmas tree winking at me from the living room below, and in front of me is the box that holds this year's "thankful" strips.
You might remember that we have a tradition in our family that involves writing our blessings down on strips of paper, then reading them with each other on Thanksgiving morning. It's one of my favorite traditions--mostly because it's so simple, and so true, and so honest. It doesn't involve gifts, or a lot of hard work, or expectations. (Those are the same reasons I love Thanksgiving in general, too. It's just easier than other holidays.)
While we won't read our blessings out loud until tomorrow, I can guess what some of the strips of paper will say. Sydney's will probably involve friends and books; McKenna's will most assuredly center on her new (we like him!) boyfriend; and, honestly, Delaney's will probably also involve boys (and the fact that she gets to the Iron Bowl with me on Friday); Gary's will be sweet and mention his wife and kids (and probably hunting).
Mine? Well, mine will include some of the following things that I'm thinking about tonight.
On this Thanksgiving Eve 2010, I have so much to be grateful for. Big and small things. Silly and serious things. A lot of things.
So, here is a list that just sorta tips the iceberg.
1. I'm thankful for sports. And especially for Alabama football. And even more especially for getting to go with Delaney to this year's Iron Bowl.
2. I'm thankful for sweet, sweet friends. Friends who keep me sane. And laugh with me. And enjoy an occasional margarita.
3. I'm thankful for creme brulee.
4. And mashed potatoes.
(You know how much I love food. Those are just two of my latest favorites.)
5. I'm thankful to have McKenna home from college for the Thanksgiving break.
6. I'm thankful that Scout loves to read so much. (And that she reads bedtime stories to me.)
7. I'm thankful for Delaney's strong personality and confidence (even though it can be a challenge sometimes.)
8. I'm thankful for "Glee." (And Glee CDs.)
9. I'm thankful for the wonderful, wonderful memories I have of my Grandma Sloan. (She passed away two weeks ago and I miss her. But, aww, what memories!)
10. I'm also thankful for the sweet memories of friends who left us too early. (Memories--and faith--are about all that get me through.)
11. I'm thankful for my amazing church.
12. And for grace. And more grace. And grace yet again.
13. I'm thankful for "Fringe."
14. And for everything Harry Potter. (Love that I wore my Hogwarts shirt--and carried a wand--to the new movie the other night.)
15. I'm thankful for online friends.
16. I'm thankful for the most awesome parents a girl could ask for.
17. I'm thankful for the beautiful weather we've been having. (Although I'd also be thankful for cooler, more appropriately seasonal weather. If you'd like to consider that, God.)
18. I'm thankful for the promise of Gan Gan's dressing tomorrow.
19. I'm thankful for a home. (So many don't have even the simplest blessings that I have.)
20. I'm thankful for bubble baths.
21. I'm thankful for sweet tea and good wine.
22. I'm thankful for a husband who gets me.
23. I'm thankful for a good night's sleep.
24. I'm thankful for laughter.
25. I'm thankful for white Christmas trees, and pink lights, and shiny ornaments.
26. I'm thankful for Facebook, and my computer, and blogging (I promise I'm gonna be better about posting!).
27. I'm thankful for teenagers. (Yep, you heard that right.)
28. I'm thankful for that some new writing opportunities are opening up for me. (This year has been a tough one for getting writing assignments, but I think things are looking up.)
29. I'm thankful for cameras. And photographs.
30. I'm thankful for having another day to breathe, and laugh, and love, and live. (I'm gonna do my best to make the most of the day.)
I love each and every one of you. And I hope that you all have a wonderful, wonderful Thanksgiving filled with all of your favorite things!