Thursday, April 21, 2011

Because I'm sure you've missed reading them...
a few "Scout Stories"

(1)

We are full-throttle into softball season right now, and Sydney is having an awesome time at the bat (just this past week, she hit two home runs in one game) and in the field (she plays the "circle" position and has become a pro at throwing girls out at first base). Gary is her head coach, of course, and he absolutely loves working with girls at this age (and they love him too!).

As we were getting ready to head out to the ballpark early this week for a game, we were battling the rush-rush of almost game time (getting our hair up into a ponytail, finding our cleats, etc.) and Sydney made the comment, "Sometimes it's hard having your dad as the head coach."

I just had to laugh, because it is somewhat true. Dads are always tougher on their daughters than other players; and Gary likes to have everything work out "just right" (getting to the ballpark early, keeping track of everything). So, yeah, it can be hard sometimes.

But it can also be extremely sweet and gratifying. You should see the way she cuddles up with Gary after a long night at the ballpark; and the way she beams when he brags on how great she's playing.

And, when it comes down to it, I'm just so thrilled and proud to have a husband who is also just an awesome father.

(2)

I've also been full-throttle lately into cooking. For some reason, I have just become committed (obsessed) to trying new foods and new dishes for Gary and the girls. (It could have something to do with the fact that I have the Food Network on in the background all the time; or that I've been wearing out my Pioneer Woman cookbook; or that my trip to Paula Deen's restaurant in Savannah over Spring Break got me all fired up.)

In the past month or so, I've made such yummy dishes as Butter & Lime Tilapia, Steaks with Brandy Cream Sauce, Apple Pork Chops, and Creamy Corn & Smoked Sausage Bisque.

Sydney is usually pretty good at trying new things, but she also likes to stick to her overworn favorites.

A few nights ago, I went back to a tried-and-true pasta favorite, and Sydney made it pretty clear how she felt about it.

"If I could pick someting to eat every time, I'd say fettucini, fettucini, fettucini." (Yeah, she loves my homemade fettucini alfredo.)

(3)

As we headed out last night for church (on Wednesday nights, the youth and children both have activities), we turned on the radio and were greeted by Ke$ha's "Blow." Being one of those addictive, I-can't-keep-from-singing-along sort of songs, Delaney and I both instinctively reached to the radio and turned it on up. We were jamming right along to the music, when Sydney piped up from the backseat.

"Reallllly?" (I'm sure you can imagine that voice.) "I'm trying to read the Bible back here."

I guess it's good to know someone has her priorities straight.

4 comments:

Phats said...

so cute i like these posts. 2 homers that is AWESOME!!! :)

Phats said...

Ready for college football??

LZ Blogger said...

AMEN! ~ j///b

Jax Beach said...

Sound fun!