Wednesday, April 26, 2006




Thoughts from a 4th Grade Field Trip . . .
Went yesterday on a field trip with Delaney's fourth grade class to Montgomery. Had a BLAST--Delaney really enjoyed it (as did I, and the rest of the group), but boy were we wiped out when we got home!
The trip was a non-stop "run" from one historical site to another--with the Zoo as a "fun break" at the end of the day (that was just as exhausting!).
Thought I'd share a few pics from the trip (after I was already in the bus, I discovered I hadn't packed my camera card, so my pictures came from Adrienne. Thanks so much for them!!!How could I blog or scrapbook without you on this one?)
I'm such a History Nerd, so I LOVE this trip for all the cool historical sites we visit. I especially loved all the civil rights-era sites we saw on our bus ride through downtown--the place where Rosa Parks got on the bus that fateful day, the church where Martin Luther King served, the steps of the capitol building where the march from Selma to Montgomery ended. Just cool stuff all over the place!
The first two pics are from a new civil rights memorial that's been built since McKenna and I went four years ago. It's designed by Maya Lin (the same lady who built the Vietnam Memorial in DC) and has a beautiful flat fountain that lists the names of the people killed in the civil rights movement. The pictures are of the MLK quote on the back, and then of Delaney and some friends touching the names and the water.
The last picture is just a priceless one of me on the veranda at the Governor's Mansion. The First Lady was there to greet us and serve us lemonade and cookies (NOT!!--but it felt like it!). I had to take a shot of me acting all hoity-toity on the back lawn. Honestly, the mansion was absolutely gorgeous and a real treat to go inside.
The trip was fun,but I'm glad I'm not going anywhere else with a bunch of 4th graders for a while! They are loud and talk non-stop, and can say some of the darnedest things (they can also be sweet, though, and I enjoyed hanging out with Ashley, Scotti, Jaelyn, Happy, and the rest of the crew!)

No comments: