Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Hey, I'm Back to Some Random Thoughts . . .
Yep, it's been over a week since I posted my Tuesday Random Thoughts, and it's actually almost Wednesday (like 10 p.m., so it still counts!) . . . and I know that all of you were desperately waiting to respond to one of my lists (LOL). So, I guess I had to post this.
This week I've actually been thinking about those really GOOD things in my life--those friends, and foods, and family, and fun stuff, all those things that really do make life joyful. And, then after I thought of all that good stuff, I started thinking about those things in life that really tick me off. You know--life isn't just all the good things, but it also includes all those things that just make you go, "Man, that's just not right."
So, for my random thoughts I today I give you my Five Things that Brought Me Joy Last week (and then the Five Things That Sucked The Joy--otherwise known as those things that really suck).
Five Things That Brought Me Joy Last Week (or--Really Cool Stuff I Like)--
(1) A Suspense Novel and a Piece of Cake (I sat all by myself last night and read my new Terri Blackstock book while eating one of the two pieces of cake I decided to taste test from Publix; btw, the chocolate/vanilla piece with buttercream icing won!)
(2) The Hydrangeas in My Front Yard (see them above?; they're almost as gorgeous as the ones in Mom's yard)
(3) A Double FULL Rainbow (Friday evening while at the writers conference in Tuscaloosa, I left to take Delaney to the ballpark when I saw the MOST gorgeous rainbow stretch across the entire sky--and then I saw that it was a DOUBLE rainbow. WOW!! I wish I had a pic of that!)
(4) Being Treated Like a Celebrity (yep, everyone at the writers conference made me feel like that; it was nice to be treated so specially!)
(5) Chocolate Fountains (we had one at our shower for Chris; TOO decadent--especially when you're using it to dip pretzels, pirouline cookies, angel food cake, and strawberries in it! Check out the pic below)
But then there's always those things that just suck too. So, here are the Five Things That Sucked The Joy from Me this past week (I won't elaborate as much on these!!)--
(1) Having others tell me how to teach and discipline my children, as if I have no clue about how to do it!
(2) Softball umpires who need to get new glasses (or just get them in the first place!)
(3) Mayonnaise on anything! (ordered a burger that should never have it on it, and THERE it was!!! yuck and double yuck!)
(4) People who think that there's only one right way to be a Christian--definitely NOT cool!
(5) My children fussing with each other for no GOOD reason whatsoever!!
So, if you feel like taking part in my little random survey this week . . . let me know the Five Great Things you experienced this week, and the Five Things that Just Ticked You Off (or the five GENERAL things that you love and/or hate!!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

5 joyful things from last week:

Melissa is happy at the place she's staying this summer.

We went to the Trace Adkins/Gretchen Wilson concert and it was a lot of fun.

All my impatiens, day lilies and other plants & flowers I have worked so hard on in my yard, are looking great!

Nichole's team won all the games in their pool play.

Melissa got to meet her "pen pal" from Germany. He came in Monday and we met him at the airport. He is the husband of a friend of mine at work and he's been over there for a year. Melissa started sending him letters in August and they've been corresponding ever since. He's almost retirement age, but she has had so much fun with it and he was just as excited to meet her.


5 things that sucked last week:

After we drove down and back, Friday, Saturday, & Sunday to Tuscaloosa for the tournament, they lost the first game in the tournament play Sunday and we ended up going home.

Last weekend was supposed to be our (Ryan and I) weekend alone and we were at the tournament all weekend.

Last week we found out our pool liner was ruined and we have to have a new one.

I've been so busy at work and I'm stressed out!

Money...I never have enough of it!

Anonymous said...

Five Things That Brought Me Joy Last Week:



1. Having the entire weekend with NO ONE HOME. I mean no one, no husband, no kids, and no brother, just me, my dogs and LIFE TIME.

2. Seeing my daughter, mother and dad for several days. It was wonderful to see them. I miss them so much.

3. Bought a new outfit that one size smaller than last time. YEAH!!!! I think the manufacture messed up, but who’s to say.

4. Saw a sonogram of my grandbaby (due in December).

5. My son completed his first semester with a 4.0 (this is the kid I didn’t think would go back to school).



Five Things That Sucked This Week



1. Had to terminate an employee (it really gets to me when they start crying or begging for their job)

2. Kids driving. I am a firm believer kids should not get their license until they are 18. These 16 yr olds and their cell phone are infuriating me.

3. Managers who should not be a manager. If they can’t supervise then why are they called managers? Why am I doing the dirty work? And they ask why their turn over is so high. Go figure!

4. Talking to my mom and dad and can’t touch them, hold them, or just sit and have coffee. The phone has to do and sometimes that isn’t enough.

Anonymous said...

Joy

Getting temp custody of the boys for the summer- still praying for full custody by summers end.
Moving into my new house
Lingerie shower my wonderful friends gave me Monday- chocolate!! yum!!
Bunko- Live love & laugh as hard as you can
My great friends that have been with me through good time & bad
17 days till I marry Charles
Cousins world tour vacation in FL leaving this Friday @ 8pm till the 17th

Joy suckers

the custody battle & what it does to the kids.
Erin's Earache
Matthew's scraped knee from bike incident.
Charlie's scraped elbow.
My aching back & lack of sleep.

Cheryl Wray said...

Hey Chris--

You sure do have a lot of joy right now, don't you?? I'm SO HAPPY for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Five Things That Brought Me Joy Last Week:

1. I had a GREAT Memorial Day Holiday at the Beach!
2. I had a short work week! Hooray!
3. Being around good friends and my husband attending to my every want and wish! How could I be soooo lucky????
4. Sharing a special get-together with my co-worker as she plans to wed and being around her new family members and her friends! This was fun!
5. Talking to all three of my GROWN sons in the same day! This is a very RARE occasion and I LOVE IT!!!!

Now here goes... the 5 things that royally ticked me off...however.. I overcame - lol

1. Gaining 5 pounds and I am already too much overweight. Everytime I am on a vacation it happens.
2. I ran out of money at the beach before going to the Outlets shopping! Do we EVER have enough shopping money??
3. My youngest son (who is 24) living hap-hazardly and me doing all the worrying about it.
4. Putting gas in my car! URGHHHHH!
5. Going BACK to work after being off for 4 days.

Anonymous said...

Joys
1. Meg's 8yr b'day luau at the pool 6/3
2. Jane becoming a youth at church
3. Sharing chocolate decadence with my wife last night. Melted chocolate, angel food cake, strawberries, raspberries, and pretzels! YUM!!!!
4. Reading a theology book written by a bigwig at the Vatican and finding multiple theological errors, really basic stuff. Why joy? The realization that even though this guy is supposed to be so superior to the rest of us, he's just a human and struggling with Christianity and life just like the rest of us.
5. The realization that this part is so much easier to list and requires less thought than the part to follow.

woes:
1. my ongoing financial struggles, living paycheck to paycheck
2. stupid pc users who call tech suppt and don't even know their operating system or their mouse from a hole in the ground.
3. the lady working the counter at the Subway who let me stand at the counter for a good 30 seconds, whilst she talked on her cell phone and then walked up and asked if she could help me (DUH! Here's your sign...)
5. getting an email from my supe saying that even though I have a mysterious pc issue at work, that causes my pc to lockup, I'm not supposed to logout to restart the computer. Ain't bureaucratic logic grand?

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,
It is almost impossible to let things like that not bother you. It feels good to let it go, doesn't it. When you are a teacher, you have to fight that every day--someone always thinks they have the market on discipline cornered and it makes you mad when they think you don't have control if they don't think just like you. Plus the Christian one is sure a big one. That is why I have barely got Joe to go to church when he did feel good due to the judgmental attitudes.
Love you!!

Anonymous said...

mine are late but here goes:
Five things that brought me joy:
1) having my kids miss each other when they are separated. They fight constantly when together so it's nice to hear that they do care for and miss each other.
2)getting to spend time with one child at a time- we can have a good time with each other one -on -one with each girl but put us all together and the fights begin.
3)kittens that snuggle and purr (and even bite you on the nose). And laughing at the differences in their personalities!
4)finding what i call "pocket tips"- that's when you put on a peice of clothing you haven't worn in a while and find money in the pocket! always a bonus!
5) being able to sneek away and leave the girls at home and have lunch with my husband(it's nice that they can stay home alone for an hour and be okay)


And now the 5 things that suck:
1) jobs
2) co-workers who, when they are in trouble, blame you for "being in their chair so they can't do their work." Funny, i thought adults told each other when there is a problem.
3)bosses who, when given the above answer, don't tell the people to grow up or grow a pair and instead tell me to "not sit in that chair".
4) other co-workers who tell me when i get upset( i.e. furious about this ) to "not get my feelings hurt" and "not to hurt others by now not helping" (i.e.- keep doing others work, just do it from farther away and inconvenience myself! )
5)swimmers ear- i think meg and i have it- we are putting hydrogen peroxide in our ears but i don't know if it is working.