Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Random Tuesday . . Oh, the Places You Go!
In honor of McKenna's flight out to D.C. this morning, I thought I'd post a "Oh the Places You Go!" Random Tuesday entry. I love to TRAVEL anywhere. . . and I especially love to go to NEW places. (Just ask Gary--it drives him crazy that I always want to try somewhere new and different for every summer family vacation, whereas he likes the old "tried and true" places that he knows well!)
Taking McKenna to the airport this morning made me yearn to go somewhere . . .anywhere! I love to go the airport and just imagine where everyone is going. Are they going somewhere far and away and exotic? are they off to see a family member that they've been estranged from for years? are they going to meet up with a brand new love? are they going on a business trip they'd rather not be taking? After all my imagining, I always come back to the same thing--I wish I was on an airplane for WHATEVER reason!
(We're all kinda jealous of McKenna because she's flying off, and we still have two more weeks until we get to go on our family vacation. But soon . . . . )
Anyhoo . . .now that I've seriously digressed from my initial discussion of Random Tuesday . . .
Today's random thoughts and questions are about places--(and don't forget to email or post your responses. SO much fun to read what everyone else has to say)--
* Highest place you've ever been: Other than up in the sky on an airplane (and I'm not gonna count that), the highest that I've ever been is to the top of the Sear's Tower in Chicago. Since the fall of the Twin Towers, this is the tallest building in the United States and getting me to the top of it was no small feat! I'm scared to death of heights and I still can't believe I went there. But I'm proud that I did!
*Furthest place you've ever been: I think that would be Acupulco, Mexico. It's at the bottom of Mexico, so I'm guessing that's right (Geography was never my best subject!)
*Most romantic place you've ever been: Probably Aruba on our honeymoon. Two spots specifically--at our breakfast table right by the ocean (waves rolling in while eating fresh pineapple--romantic and yummy! LOL) and at this deserted beach we found at dusk (no one there and absolutely most gorgeous scenery you could imagine!)
*Most overrated place you've ever been: That would be Ruby Falls in Chattanooga. Do NOT trust the signs that keep telling you to "See Ruby Falls"! (definitely see Rock City--it's cool--but skip the Falls!). The whole time we were walking the MILES (it seemed like!) to go to the Falls way underground, Gary and I kept looking at each other and shaking our heads. Insane that so many people were spending so much money to walk in a single file into the depths of the earth! (Give me a cool, rustic cave to explore any day!)
* Place you'd go RIGHT NOW if you only could: I would LOVE to get on an airplane today and fly to see my friend Michelle. I'd love to see my sweet friend that I haven't seen since sixth grade--but it doesn't hurt that she lives in Hawaii! (and, oh, did I mention that I'd be doing this trip without children?)
Okay, give me your:
Highest Place, Furthest Place, Most Romantic Place, Most Overrated Place, & Place you'd love to go Right Now!

13 comments:

Cindy Barb said...

Highest Place: In April,1996, I went on a weekend getaway with my friend Paula. We were in the Statue of Liberty and had lunch at the World Trade Center with several of her old co-workers; Of course we went to the top and looked over New York and New Jersey. This will be a place I will never forget.

Furthest Place: Well, this is hard for me, this all depends on where I was living at the time. From D.C. to Fl and now Oklahoma. So, if I had to calcualte in miles from a start point of where I lived at that exact moment, hmmm, 90 miles north of Sacromento, Calif., a little town called Oroville. That would be the furtherest.

I had l Most Romantic Place: hehe, this might not be romantic to all of you; now, I can't remember the name of the place where we ate; or the place where we went dancing; but I just remember being the only ones there for each other. The gazing into each others eyes, the hand holding, the slow dancing and then the drive home. We stopped at a little spot on the way, and watched the moon. We called it the Alabama Moon, I was living in Virginia and had come home to Alabama for a two week visit. Hmmm, it wasn't anything expensive, nothing out of the ordinary, just two people who had a wonderful night together. Never had another one like that again with anyone.

Most Overrated Place: I know McKenna is on her way there, but after living in D.C., I have to say D.C. Yes, there are many things to do, but overrated it is.

Place you'd love to go Right Now: I would love to go to Africa; 1. its's winter there and 2. my brother and his family is there.

Anonymous said...

* Highest place you've ever been: on an airplane; I don’t like heights, but I do like to fly now. I think we went to the top of the Washington Monument many years ago; I know David had to help me up there if we did; In high school Vicki, Paula (our cousin from Dallas) and I went to the top of Southland Life to eat at the restaurant there (then the highest floor in Dallas (43 floors). It scared me to death to watch people walk around the scary ledge.

*Furthest place you've ever been: I think that would be Grand Caymon; Portland, Ore. I am not sure

*Most romantic place you've ever been: That’s hard. Anywhere with David; in Billings when they gave us a suite on the 19th floor of a hotel, very fancy, i never had so much room in a hotel with two bathrooms and a suite, etc.

*Most overrated place you've ever been: any amusement park although I liked Disneyland it was small compared to Disneyworld; I would much rather go to any mountain than an amusement park or go to any downtown city with little antique shops/consignment shops than an amusement park

* Place you'd go RIGHT NOW if you only could: Scotland for sure; then England; then Ireland (someday!!)

Cheryl Wray said...

Ooh, Cindy--your romantic place sounds great ! sometimes it's those "small" "unnoticed" places that really are the most romantic!

Anonymous said...

*Highest Place & *Furthest Place would have to be grouped together - that would be Park City Utah on the slopes. My aunt and
uncle took me to the highest peak to ski down on my birthday of all days!!

*Most Romantic Place - On the beach at sunset

*Most Overrated Place - I can't think of any overrated places right now but I can think of a bunch of overpriced places!

*Place You'd go RIGHT NOW - On an Alaskan cruise - for 7 to 10 days (and Cheryl...I'm going to agree with you...no children!!)

Anonymous said...

From last week--
Was on vacation last week, so...
How Many Homes I Have Lived In: 18, whoa, never realized that before! That whole Navy wife/moving from apartment to apartment afterwards really did involve a lot of moving...

What is Your Earliest Memory of a House: On Juniper Drive in Albany, Georgia where my parents lived when they got me. I remember wood floors in my bedroom, and, uh...dancing to Sesame Street in the living room in front of the boxy console tv (with knobs and no remote).
Your Favorite Room in Your House Now: Well....we're in the middle of remodeling the master bedroom so hopefully when the mess is over it'll be that room!!!
Your Favorite Thing on Your Walls: Pictures of my kids!!! And also a really cute shot of my fiance as a little boy in overalls sharing an ice cream cone with his younger twin sisters (who look to be about 2)...they all have chocolate ice cream all over their faces!

Anonymous said...

*Highest Place PIKES PEAK, COLORADO

*Furthest Place FLEW TO PUERT RICO, SAILED TO ANTIGUA, BARBADOS AND ST. THOMAS. DONT KNOW WHICH ISLAND IS FARTHEST.

*Most Romantic Place MY BEDROOM(HA HA)--BARBADOS

* Most Overrated Place ST THOMAS

*Place You'd go RIGHT NOW ANYWHERE BUT HERE


BOB BOB

Anonymous said...

I THINK I HAVE HEARD OF THE EXACT PLACE CINDY B IS TALKING ABOUT. I ALSO AGREE, IT IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEST OF PLACES.

Anonymous said...

*Highest Place- Leadville Colorado, the highest city in the U.S.
*Furthest Place- Okinawa, Japan thanks to the Marine Corps.
*Most Romantic Place-Moon Beach in Okinawa..Great little honeymoon spot. Beautiful beach, and of course great service in the hotel.
* Most Overrated Place-Opryland Hotel in Nashville.. Very expensive, got lost everytime we left the room.. It is beautiful inside.
*Place You'd go RIGHT NOW-Back home to California to see my friends.. and of course hit my fave LSS. My other choice would be Jamica with DH.

Great Random Tuesday Cheryl!! Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

Highest Place- I would have to say in the crown of the Statue of Liberty.
Furthest Place- Misawa, Japan, which is the northern tip of the main island of Honshu. Flew over Mt. Fuji in an airplane; I was heading to Tokyo.
Most Romantic Place- Niagara Falls in the winter; they have green and red lights shining on the ice and water.
Most Overrated Place- Disneyworld—it might be different now, but I went when I was about ten. Too crowded and overpriced, and the lines were so long. Too commercialized.
Place You'd go Right Now- Washington, D.C. (and surrounding areas); I love all the historical sites—where the presidents lived, in particular. (Tomb of the unknown soldier is neat, too.)

Anonymous said...

since I haven't traveled much mine are boring!!!

highest place- Lookout Mountain (not even any airplanes in my past)

farthest away- Washington D.C.

most romantic- beach at sunset (lately, anywhere Ryan and I are without the kids!)

most over rated -six flags (and for the record i liked Ruby Falls the first time i went - before people had broken things off and stuck their gum everywhere!)

place i would go right now- BEACH , any beach, i'd even take my kids (do i sound desperate?? no vacation stinks!!)

Anonymous said...

*Highest Place
The mountain behind Victoria, Mexico. It was over 12,000 feet high
and scared my mom to death. It had many curves and you might meet
a Mexican mass transit bus coming around the wrong side of the road. I
went over it on many missions trips to build churches.

*Furthest Place
Tula, Mexico. You passed a little globe on the side of the highway
that said you had crossed the Tropic of Cancer. This was a missions
trip. Or maybe it was Nova Scotia, Canada on a business trip.

*Most Romantic Place
Savanah, Georgia. Stayed in a bed and breakfast built in the early
1800's. Market Square and the big willows and other trees in the
parks throughout the city made it a beautiful place to see.

* Most Overrated Place
Hilton Head Island off the coast of South Carolina. The place is
suited mostly for avid golfers. The beaches were not that great and
there is not much to do.

*Place You'd go RIGHT NOW
Roberta and I agree that Hawaii would be the place to go to see
Volcanos, beautiful beaches, Pearl Harbor...

Anonymous said...

Highest Place - the Continental Divide in Montana? To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure...but that was pretty frickin' high.
Furthest Place - Puerto Rico
Most Romantic Place - Monterey, CA
Most Overrated Place - LA - smog and traffic and ugly
*Place You'd go RIGHT NOW - Banff (okay, anywhere it's not 104 degrees!!)

Anonymous said...

*Highest Place - Until this year, I have lived a sheltered life, here in Alabama. I have not been to many "high" places. However, I recently stayed at the Westin Hotel in Atlanta, which has 73 floors. My room was on the 54th floor, so that has to be the highest I have ever been. Let me add that I checked out 2 hrs later because it made me sick being that high.

*Furthest Place - I guess it would have to be Oakland California. I was born there and we moved here when I was 3. However, I am going to LA in August. I'm not sure if that is further or closer than Oakland...

*Most Romantic Place - This is going to sound really cheesy, but it would have to be the Marriott Hotel in Muscle Shoals (Florence) Alabama. It has to be the most beautiful hotel I have ever seen in my life and they cater to romance. They have a revolving restaurant, a beach size pool, jacuzzi's, and a full spa that you would die for. Although, it was not to romantic for me, I was there on business.

* Most Overrated Place - I have no clue!

*Place You'd go RIGHT NOW - I would go to Norway. That is where my father is from and I have family there I have never met! I hope to see it one day.