Monday, July 10, 2006

Weekend Recap . . .

I'm sitting in a relatively quiet house (the murmur of Disney Channel is drifting over to me from the den tv, where Delaney has fallen asleep on the couch yet again!), looking through some photos I took over the weekend, reflecting on how the last days have been, and eating a Twinkie (wondering how many pounds a Midnight Twinkie puts on my thighs, and thinking also that it would be even SO much better if it was deep-fried!!).

Had a really nice weekend--I'm SO loving this post-school, post-softball summer. This is the first weekend in a row that I can remember in FOREVER that we had HOURS of uninterrupted time when we had nothing on the schedule. How nice is that?

But, I don't want to get ahead of myself . . . so, here is my Weekend Recap for all of you inquiring minds (because you want to know . . .LOL).

The Good--

* The aforementioned leisurely weekend. On Saturday, I actually had four-five hours when I had nothing planned and on Sunday afternoon after church we actually had time to sit down and watch a movie. Yay!
* Went to a sweet baby shower for Gary's cousin (and I guess mine too). She's looking so darned cute and that little tyke is gonna have a butt-load of cool stuff to go in his cutie-patootie room (Sydney loved going to "Zac's room" as she got to calling it; she'd point at the bed, and the changing table, and the stuffed giraffe and say, "that's Zac's, that's Zac's; he's my cousin." Too cute!)
* Had a really fun girls night out with Chris and Allison. Shopped at Walmart (which, believe it or not, is actually KINDA fun when there are no children involved!) and, as is always the case when I go anywhere with these gals, panties ended up in the shopping cart! LOL Went to Applebee's afterwards and loved the Apple Sangria--very yummy (although I'm thinking I should have stopped before the waitress brought me my pina colada!).
* One-on-one time with Gary. Don't get enough of that!
* Actually sitting at the ACTUAL dinner table with my entire family! I think it may have been two MONTHS since we've sat down around the able together. How sad is that? But now that ball is over, we will be doing it on a regular basis! And we had REAL food--steak, baked potatoes, corn on the cob, bread. Cool, huh?
* Some time spent creating some fun stuff for my walls here in the house. (May try to upload a pic of it tomorrow.)
* A fun celebration at church on Sunday night. We had dinner "on the grounds" (I think that's what they used to call it), good music by Sonrise, and assorted games--Gary and I were even in the three-legged-race. A fun, fun time was had by all!
* One-on-one time with Gary. (Did I mention that?)

The Bad--

* Getting WAY stressed out Saturday afternoon when I was WAY late for Melissa's baby shower. It always goes like clockwork--I get busy doing something and don't get ready in time, we get sidetracked some more, I start "huffing and puffing" about how I'm never gonna get there on time, Delaney starts trying to make everything better and then gets mad at me for getting mad, McKenna and Gary get mad at me for getting mad, and it all goes downhill from there! When will I learn to just chill?
* Gary's grandfather, Papa Doug, going into the hosptial again. He's not doing well at all and we are all really worried about him.
* Getting into a WAY too big tiff with McKenna on Sunday night. She got too hysterical about a situation and I reacted WAY too strongly to her. It all collapsed into thirty minutes of crying, hiding heads in pillows, and complaints that we just don't try and understand each other. When will I learn to NOT say the first thing that pops into my head and, instead, treat my really mature, cool 14-year-old like the cool, mature girl she is?

The Score--

All in all (even with the things I just mentioned), the weekend was a Smashing Success if I do say so myself. LOL!! So, I will give it a 9 out of a possible 10!!!

The Pics--

Of course, I took some pictures from assorted activities and moments over the weekend. (Can I ever let anything go by without having pics? Cmon now . . .)

(how cute is this diaper bag? my mil, Clara, made it for Melissa, using the fabric from her window treatments. LOVE these colors for a baby room!)
(How CUTE is that pregnant belly? And, look, her outfit matched her nursery!)
(I honestly can't take Sydney ANYWHERE! As soon as we enter a house, her shoes come OFF! She was even excited about wearing her "butterfly shoes" to the baby shower, but they didn't last for long!) (Sydney had really wanted to wear her new dress to the shower, but before we got out of the house it was covered in Cheese Puffs! But she got to wear it to church on Sunday and I had to take a pic of her modeling it--just so I could show off our great, $1.98 thrift store deal we found on Friday afternoon. I love it!!)

(I had to get McKenna modeling the dress we found for her SLU trip to D.C. This was from Plato's Closet, the consignment shop I mentioned the other day. I LOVE this dress on her--and it was only $10. Have I found the deals or what?)

(Jump ahead to Sunday night-- The wheelbarrow race started off poorly, when Traci was leading McKenna . . .) ( . . . but improved dramatically when Traci became the wheelbarrow! LOL)

(and then trying the sack race!)

(Delaney had to try the egg relay race--holding an egg in a plastic spoon, which you held in your mouth. Not as easy as it looks?Actually, it doesn't even look that easy . . .)

(Of course, our Scout couldn't be upstaged! She had to do the relay race too--holding on to the spoon, of course! But she ran the whole way and back. It was too cute!! And, hey, check out the ponytail! She has NO hair for one, but she told us she wanted one tonight! Loved it!)

(Delaney is our resident Hula Hoop Expert, so she had to show off her skills for us!)

(And boy did this gal like her watermelon! Sydney dug into a ton of it; she almost likes it as much as her Mom. Yummy!!)

BTW, there were some priceless pics of Gary and I doing the 3-legged-race and both of us in the sack race. If I can get my hands on them, I'll have to upload them tomorrow. If you don't get to see them, just take our word for it--we were seasoned athletes on display!! LOL

Well, while I've been sitting here and uploading photos, Sunday evening has turned into Monday morning. Which tells me it's about time to sign off and head to bed . . .

4 comments:

She-Ra said...

Hi! I'm new to your blog - found it in a post last week over at the S4O group. I am loving it! And how funny you were writing about returning to the family dinner. I just wrote about that today in my own blog but mine was about finally trying to get the family dinners started (my kids are 6, 4, 2) after many lax years of eating in front of the telly.
Looking forward to reading more...

Anonymous said...

LOL...you guys had fun!!!!!! And I am SO with you on the getting angry thing....happens to me ALLLLL the time!

Sonya said...

You are so right about the To Inspire You post! How many times do I forget miracles can still happen. Thanks for the reminder!

The pictures are great!

Anonymous said...

I feel special to have been included in your blog. :-) Thanks for coming!!! I was very excited to see you and all three of the girls there.