Thursday, August 10, 2006

Back to Normalcy . . . & Back to School!
I don't have a rug in my den and I still have a big pile of clothes to fold and put away, BUT I do have hot water. Hooray!!
The day of our Hot Water Heater Disaster, my mother emailed me and in closing said, "Remember, Cheryl, that joy comes in the morning." How true that is! Most people who know me will say that I'm a very positive person and that not much gets me down. I usually can find the bright spot amidst the worst of situations. There are times, though, when Life just gets me depressed--and Tuesday was one of those days. I was down in the dumps all day and night about the big ole mess downstairs. But, Mom was so right!! In the midst of the mess, I found some really joyful situations and discoveries. Like--
We were forced to clean out the utility room and, in doing so, I found some absolute treasures. Along with the smelly socks and old, mildewed sheets (yuck!), I found a box filled with Junior High School treasures. In that box were old photos, some Charlie's Angels trading cards (I had ALL of them at one time!), old comic books (when I was 12, I'd use my allowance to buy an Archie comic book, a Slush Puppy drink, and some "penny" candy), my junior high newspaper (it was a GREAT paper filled with gossip and all sorts of fun stuff; I was the co-editor, of course); old drill team and cheerleading pics; assorted notes; and my early versions of "scrapbooks" (just a place to keep pictures, movie tickets, and various mementoes).
(Margie, if you happen to be reading this--lookie, there we are in that first pic! OMG!)
I also found stuff from high school, and some PRICELESS videos from my college days. My friend, Jeff, made videos of all of our great events--I found ones from a party at the apartment I shared with Cheryl and Angela, and from a trip to Chattanooga with an Ad Federation team (TOO much fun in a hot tub, and all preserved on tape!). Watching those really took me back (I LOVED college!).
I even found this football practice jersey of Gary's from . . .oh my goodness, it must be like 1981 or 82. How bad does that age us???
(And when I said something to Gary about him being a bit big for it now, I reminded myself that I sure am glad I didn't find my old cheerleading uniform. It would be a HUGE effort to even get it up to my hips!)
And then the girls, of course, helped me keep it all in perspective. Kids will do that, you know? After Gary bought the hot water heater and the repairman got it installed, we had a big giant box just waiting to be played with. What would it become? A fort? a house? a school? Well, Delaney and Sydney decided it was a Drive Through Restaurant. (Here they are with Sydney placing an order from Delaney; btw--you "drove" around to the other side of the box to the Pick Up window. And a pic of them posing beside the box. . . ahem, restaurant. (And, oh yeah, there was even an ATM swiper on the box. Does that say something about my kids or what?)
(okay, icky--see my bare floor without a rug. I am SO going rug-shopping soon! LOL)
Another high-point of the day--Sydney got herself a tattoo to match the ones her sisters got on our vacation. McKenna and Delaney got air brush tattooes on Tybee Island and the whole time they were getting them, Sydney was saying, "I wanna tattoo, too." Of course, we weren't spending $10 on a temporary tattoo for her!! So imagine her joy (she actually SQUEALED about it!) when her sisters found a gumball machine that had temporary tattoos in it. Here is the flower tattoo she now has on her arm! She has to show it to everyone!
So, as always, life has a way of balancing back out--as Jerry Seinfeld said on one of my favorite episodes, "It always evens out!" Crappy stuff happens, then the good stuff comes back in and reminds us that it's never so bad that it can't get better! Joy does INDEED come in the morning--and thank goodness that lesson was reiterated to me again today!
Well . .. I'm writing this in the wee hour of Thursday morning . .. which means that the girls head back to school today (in about six hours!!!). It's McKenna's first day of HIGH SCHOOL, so she's a little bit freaked out (worried about finding all of her classrooms, having friends in all of her classes, wearing the right outfit, and all that good stuff!).
And it's Delaney's last year in elementary school; she's the BIG DOG on campus as a fifth grader. We had Open House and met with her teacher, Mrs. Clayton, who already knows Delaney well. I predict that it will be great year for both of them!!!
Hope everyone has a wonderful Thursday. And remember--if it gets bad today, it WILL get better! I promise!!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad that things are looking better today! Great pics!!

Linda said...

Your girls are adorable. Glad to see things are looking better.
The last big box we had became a house. My youngest even drew pictures to hang on his walls.

Much Ado said...

I love your positive outlook on life! Joy does come in the morning that is so true. Another favourite quote of mine "this too shall pass". Hope your daughters first day at high school goes well. Loved your holiday pictures too!

Anonymous said...

great photos of the girl and you have to stay positive, your mom gave you great advice

Anonymous said...

That is SOOO true Cheryl!! Glad things are settling down!

Anonymous said...

AHHHH!!! I think that is you, me and Traci Hillian...9th grade graduation?? OMG, that is too funny! And I kind of have the very same hair now, except it is kinky curly (and partly gray) from the chemo...oh, thanks for the laugh. And I'm sorry about your Water Heater Disaster, ewww!!

the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Thanks for the visit today! Your kiddies are beautiful - I do too have a box of stuff from school amoung it is my highschool dress with all my class mates signatures and messages on! Memories are really nice to have! Oh glad to hear you have hot water again!!!

Kym said...

Hi Cheryl, thanks for stopping by my blog. :) I could learn a lot from your attitude. I love the box pictures. Boxes are the best, aren't they? Sounds like your girls had lots of fun with it.

I've been thinking about redoing my highschool scrapbook which is basically just a huge magnetic album with stuff crammed in it. LOL Treasures indeed.

Hope everyone got off to school OK. I remember those first day of school jitters so well...and I'm your age. LOL

Cheryl Wray said...

deb & margie--great to hear from you! Oh, those jr high memories!
beadinggalinm & kym--the girls were hilarious in that box. they're still playing in it!!
all the rest of you gals--thanks for the enouragement!! Yep, things are definitely looking up today!

Anonymous said...

what fun finding those treasures! Your girls are darling -- --- and thanks for all the sweet comments on my blog!!!

Melissa said...

how cool that you found pictures, videos ext. from high school and college! I love when I find something that I haven't seen in a while.

the pictures of your girls with their 'drive through' is so cute ;)

Anonymous said...

Those girls are just adorable! It looks like you've had a lot on your hands but you've kept a very positive outlook ... good for you! Thanks so much for stopping by Cream Puffs in Venice and introducing yourself. You have a terrific site!

Nat said...

Positive is the only way to be, to get through these things hey. I guess you think about things that could be much worse - you all have your health and each other. And finding fun in the chaos - somewhere.

How CUTE is your little Sydney!

Nat