Monday, August 21, 2006

Monday Morning Update

On this Monday morning, I'm thinking back to the really NICE weekend we had. And I'm reminded that there are a lot of things I'm loving right now.

Some of those things are--

(1) Days that involve several unlimited hours of "nothing" time. You know those days? When you aren't running from here to there to here again. I actually had some of that time this past weekend. (And boy do I really feel much more rested today!)

(2) Mother/Daughter Time. On Saturday, McKenna and I went to ScrapEtc. to enjoy some of their big party. They had make it-take it tables where you got to work on different projects. We had so much fun--oohing and aahing over the store's new stuff, sharing a glass of limeade from Zoe's next door, working on a few projects together, then just getting to talk one-on-one with each other as we drove around (nothing "deep," just good talk!).

(3) Listening to a good halftime show! On Saturday night, we enjoyed going to a preview performance of the Hueytown High School band's halftime show. This is the first year McKenna has tried marching and I was SO impressed with how they looked and sounded.


Before the show, McKenna told me that she hadn't quite figured out how to play music and move her feet at the same time, (LOL) but then afterwards said that she'd actually done both of them for at least part of the show. She plays the melophone (the marching version of the french horn) and it looked SO hard to carry. Plus, McKenna is clearly the shortest person on the field so we "lost" her among taller boys around her. But, it was really FUN to watch (the show is a "Queen" show, btw, with songs like "Fat Bottomed Girls" and "Bohemian Rhapsody").

(I love this picture, because boy can you see the happy look of relief on her face!)
(4) A laundry room that is uncluttered. How nice is it that I can walk unencumbered into my laundry room? Wonderful!

(5) Silly moments with Sydney. (Like this moment, when she decided to try out some of my lipstick!)


(6) Mother/Daughter Time Part 2. Delaney has always been such an affectionate daughter and I just LOVE this about her. She was so sweet this weekend and last night when she told me "I love you" at least three times before she headed off to bed, I thanked my lucky stars for her!

(7) Watching Delaney play softball again! We had our first official practice with the Birmingham Thunderbolts, Delaney's new travel softball team. Boy was it ever stinkin' hot!!, but it sure was fun to see D out there stopping the ball, throwing the bill, pitching the ball. Tourneys will be here before we know it.

(8) Icees! (Enough said!)

(9) A good, long phone call with Mom. Although we'd emailed a bunch, I hadn't talked with Mom in almost a week (which is very rare for us!). On Saturday, I talked with her for at least an hour. It was good to get caught up on stuff, and just nice to hear her voice!

(10) My family! I was talking with a friend at church last night who lost his wife almost exactly a year ago. Her death was totally unexpected and you can tell that he still grieves deeply. He told me about the night she died and how they went to sleep so comfortably after they'd both whispered "I love you" to each other. He said to me, "Don't ever take for granted what you have." I am so IN love with my entire family. I am blessed beyond measure!

Now another week begins . . . let's hope it's a good one!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

a great list, I haven't had an icee in a while

Anonymous said...

Aww, how fun....I remember those band days.....that was a LONG time ago!!!!! Glad you two had a good time! Hate I missed you guys!

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna have to go to at least one game to see the halftime show. I LOVE Queen. Well, Queen w/Freddy Mercury. They stink with whoever this new guy is (NOT Freddy)! Yeah, haven't had one of those mellow, not hurried weekends in a while and have calculated that I may get one the 2nd weekend of Sept. **SIGHS**

Anonymous said...

Great list! Lots of good thoughts there!!

Unknown said...

OK, the pictures are too cute! I loved your list too...

the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Sounds like you had just the perfect weekend - Enjoy the week ahead!

Cheryl Wray said...

Ryan--you definitely need to come to a show. I love Queen too! And why would anyone try to replace Freddy Mercury is beyond me!
Toya--LOVE, LOVE Icees! You need to go find you one!
Thanks NMOTB!