Thursday, October 26, 2006

In a Funk (& Fear)

Ever had one of those days when you're just stuck in some sort of moody funk and you can't get yourself out of it? What am I asking? Of COURSE you have--everyone has!

Well, yesterday was that way for me! I really felt physically crappy and then, on top of that, I just felt moody. Some things are bringing me down a little bit, so I just felt (and still feel a little bit) "out of sorts." I really hate feeling that way, because I'm one of those people who always harps on being positive about things; I always find the "good" in situations. But still, some days it's just hard.

And then, last night, I had been asked to do the devotional time at our Wednesday night dinner and casual church service. I talked about fear--how all humans face fear every day. We face little fears, but then also big fears. And I talked a little bit about some of the fears that I have--things like fear for my children's safety, fear for my parents' health failing, fear that I can't pay all the bills in a month. But, I said, if we were going to really live like Christians we have to LET GO of the fear; we can't live fearful LIVES. We must give those fears up! It was really like maybe I was supposed to be saying those things not just to everyone in the audience, but also to me! So, I kinda felt like I was preaching to the choir!

I shared several stories and some Bible verses that went along with the topic. My favorite Psalm is Psalm 27, and it was perfect for the night. Part of it says:

The LORD is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

For in the day of trouble
he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock.

So, if you're going through any fearful times . . . or maybe even if you're just feeling a little bit moody like me . . . those verses might help you out!

At church last night, my friend Karen had the "authentic" 1981 prom dress that I was planning on using for my costume for Halloween Bunko tonight (idea here--dress, sash that says "1981 Beauty Queen," tiara, big hair). When I got home, though, I tried to zip it up and there was NO WAY it was going to fit. So, I got a bit depressed all over again. Now, what am I going to wear to tonight? I don't have the time or money to go buy an entire costume, so I'm going to frantically search the house here for something. I was really excited about that costume (it was going to be CUTE!), but now I have to find a Plan B.

Hope that didn't come off as a negative post this morning, just wanted to share where I was at. But today is another today . . . and a better day. And if I can come up with a costume idea . . . everything will be a-okay!

A Little Update--
Feeling better this afternoon (although the yucky rain outside all day is not helping!) and I have a costume plan. Yay!! I'm now going to be a Drama Queen, complete with sash, crown, feather boa, and celebrity sunglasses of my own creation. Will share some pics tomorrow! All of you blogging friends are great--you really know how to cheer a girl up!

10 comments:

Andy said...

i couldn't have put it better myself. it's good to be honest and authentic with people. i'm glad that you posted this cheryl. i know there are other people that if they don't feel this way now, they will at some point in their life or the have before. i'll be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

We ALL have days like that! You know it will get better!!

Can't wait to see how your costume turns out!

Anonymous said...

We all have days like that! Don't you worry about sharing your feelings...we need to vent sometimes, and then everything is fine! :) I love those bible verses too. Often like to get back to them at times when feeling blue.
And hey, here is an idea for a costume...if you have a pair of black jeans or black pants and a black long sleeves top, just make yourself some black ears with black cardstock and draw a few whiskers on your face and you'll be a cute cat...that's my all time favorite costume and it was a big hit costume in the 80s because of the black tights and long t-shirts :)

the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

My dear friend, that is so not a negative post - just totally normal! I have many days like that when I am down and nothing seems to be going right! I hope and pray you feel better soon and I know you (being so creative and all) will come up with a real spunky outfit!!!! Take Care!

Mz.Elle said...

I hear ya.
I think I've been feeling out of sorts since July.
I don't think this is a negative post at all!
It's real and honest:)

Anonymous said...

my grandma used to say that pray alot, she loves the 23 and 27 psalm so much, I hope you are having a better day today

Linda said...

It just started raining here but the gloomy look it has outside today does not help ones moods. How about lot's of huggiezz from me to you!! Will be looking forward to your pics of you in your costume.

Bare said...

*Sends you a big hug* It's not a negative post, it's real life. We all get down from time to time, and we've gotta get it out. What matters is that you didn't let it keep you down :0) *hugs*

Phats said...

Hi!
Hope you are doing better, everyone does have those days, and yours too shall pass. :) Keep your chin up!

I think we're having identical weather, I got up at 5:10am and it was raining, got to school at 6:45 in was raining, left school at 2:30 it was raining, and got home after errands and dinner at 6 and it was raining! YUCK! makes me wanna sleep

Let your daughters know BOTH Kristen and I are going as Dead Cheerleaders to our costume party Sat :) haha

Anonymous said...

How did I miss this yesterday? Hope the day got better for you. We have ALL had those days!