Things that Make me Smile . . .
and Gifts You Better Not Give
I can't believe I actually skipped a day of blogging! For the first time since I can remember, I skipped a blogging day during the week. Some of you may have wondered if I fell off the face of the earth! lol
Actually . . . I had another awful headache yesterday (I don't have headaches hardly ever, which makes them worse when I get them!) and I also spent all afternoon (once a Goody's powder finally took care of my headache!) doing some Christmas shopping! By the time I rolled into my driveway, I had a front seat and a trunk full of stuff! Looking at my list, I see that I only have four or five items left to purchase (things like a gift for Delaney's teacher, one "Dirty Santa" gift for one of our family gatherings, and some stocking stuffers). Hallelujah! That feels good!
Nothing really in particular on my mind today to blog about, so just thought I'd mention some things that make me really happy right now . . .
* Sydney is an absolute NUT--she is always making us laugh. Her newest saying is, "Hello . . ." followed by some statement that, obviously, we should know is true but we are dunces for some reason about it. An example:
Me: "Sydney, are you hungry? Do you want something to eat?"
S: "Hello . . . I'm finished with my cereal."
Me and G: Talking amongst ourselves or watching television up on the bed, ignoring little Scout as she plays on the floor below us.
S: "Hello . . . I'm playing down here."
It is TOO funny. (Also really funny has been her habit of carrying her "baby soup"--bathing suit--with her everywhere these days. "Because we're going to da beech," she told me yesterday. After I told her we wouldn't be going to the beach until summer she told me, though, that "We go to Grandma and Grandad's simming pool." Okay, Scout, whatever . . . just carry that swimsuit with you in your purse everywhere you go. Eventually, you'll figure out that we're not going to the beach or swimming pool." Again . . . too cute and funny!
* Out shopping today, I wandered into Starbucks to look for a gift for someone (can't mention names here, since I never really know who is wandering in and reading!) and decided to treat myself to a Gingerbread Latte. I'd heard several people raving about them on their blogs, so had to try it (I'm a big gingerbread fan anyway!). It was really good! Next on my to-try list . . . Peppermint Mocha!! As Sydney would say, "Hello . . . yum, yum!"
* I'm SO proud of Delaney. She got a Citizenship Award at our PTA meeting on Tuesday night. Two students out of each class get this award once a month, for good behavior and such. Very proud of her! She also sang with the 4th-5th grade choir in a special Christmas program and she had to wear her Santa hat. How cute . . .
* Something that definitely puts a smile on my face these days are family members who are so willing to help out whenever we need it. We really got some sweet help this week with something so "Thank You!"--you know who you are!!
* One of my greatest challenges each Christmas season is figuring how to wrap Gary's gifts so he won't figure out what they are. He has been known to shake a gift and say, "That's a CD" or "That's a book"--and be exactly right about it! I have learned to be sneaky over the years and now know how to disguise a gift pretty well. I got a lot of joy last night in getting about 10 gifts wrapped up--several of which were Gary's and one of which was one that I tempted him with by saying, "You will NEVER figure out what that one is." (It IS a very unique gift!)
(And, yes, I'm a Gift Wrap Geek because I come up with a "theme" for my gift-wrapping each year. I think Gary used to think I was just crazy for doing this, but it's fun! One year it was all blue and silver, another year it was snowmen, another year it was kids' stuff. This year is--if you can guess from my pic there--silver and gold. I really like it!)
Since I did a lot of shopping today (and just in case some of you might just be getting around to doing your shopping), I found this story interesting. It was on AOL a few days ago and was a list of some of the gifts you should NOT buy for anyone. They included:
1. Underwear. (for either men or women)
2. Gift cards. (it actually said you shouldn't give anything with an expiration date)
3. Bath in a box. (you know--lotions, shower gel, etc.)
4. Picture frames (empty ones)
5. Dictionary. (borr-rring, it said.)
6. VHS anything (old news!)
7. Sausage in a box (you know--those summer sausage and cracker kits)
8. A lamborghini (because you couldn't ever top it)
My first thought was, "Well, I have actually given some of those," so I must be a pretty bad gift-giver. My other thought was that I actually like getting some of those things--get me a cute pajama set, a gift card to my favorite scrapbook store, a Bath & Body Works basket, a really funky picture frame, a cool nonfiction book about a cool topic (ok, not really a dictionary, but some people might consider it boring too), or a DVD (in fact, I give DVDs to a lot of people--but, that's not VHS I guess) and I would be VERY happy! And I actually got a convertible one time (for my birthday . . . but cool!). AND, I have actually bought Gary some summer sausages and crackers (he's weird . . . he likes to eat them while he's hunting), so those things aren't actually as bad suggestions as some might think.
I don't know . . . have you ever received a really bad gift? Would you actually want any of those gifts?
I hope all of you have a wonderful day! I apologize for not visiting your blogs yesterday, but I hope to stop by several today. Believe me . . . I really do miss you when I don't come by and "visit" with you.
Find a reason to smile today . . .