Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Oh Sweet Momma!!!

What a title, huh? It's actually perfect for this morning, since I'm excited about several things AND (most importantly!) because it came out of the mouth of my silly, precocious Scout!

Yesterday afternoon, we were at a store buying a few things we were needing and while I was at the cash register she went to look at the little gumball and prize machines. As she walked up to the machines, she said with an excited voice, "Oh Sweet Momma!" It got me and the cashier laughing so hard--we could not get over it! I looked over and asked her what she was talking about. "Oh Sweet Momma!" she said again, "it's Strawberry Shortcake stickers." That child!! The things she can come up with (and at just a few weeks over three-years-old!)

So, I'm taking that phrase as my phrase of the day!! (Feel free to use it at will yourself if you'd like! lol)

Some good "Oh Sweet Momma!" things--
* Last night, Delaney pitched a no-hitter for her park ball team (meaning--no one got on base because of a hit. She walked two, had one girl hit but then got her out by throwing to first, and struck out the rest of them. Wow!) We beat the number one team in our division 15-0.
* Apparently, McKenna is doing great in her color guard clinics. They have tryouts on Friday afternoon (these are the girls who dance and do flags with the band), and it looks like she will have a great chance of making it!
* We watched "Heroes" last night. All I can say is, "Oh Sweet Momma!"
* I will be making some sort of "Over the Hill" cake creation for my father-in-law tonight. That will be fun!

Now, on to my Random Tuesday post for today (not that all of that wasn't random enough already! lol)...

Both Linda and Maria tagged me with the same tag and it turns out that it's perfect for my Random Tuesday musings.

It's a simple tag really--share 7 random facts/tidbits/habits about yourself that your blog friends may not know already. Then tag 7 more people at the end of your post, to get them to do the same!

I have done something like this ages ago (I think it was like 4 weird things about me!), but I tried to think of seven pretty different things that I've never shared already. So...

1. I have a really good sense of direction (as opposed to Linda, who I discovered from her list is directionally-challenged). I don't really read maps well, but I am really good at finding my way back from anywhere once I've driven the way once. When we went to Chicago several years ago, I set out for downtown with little care in the world. I knew I'd make my way there and back without a problem; the next day when I told Gary I was taking him into the city, he was really worried. But I got him there just fine!

2. I have a strange aversion to clowns. Like they really freak me out. Like scare me. Like please don't take me to the circus!

3. My parents and I founded and organize an event called the Southern Christian Writers Conference that attracts more than 200 participants every year.We always have some really great, well-known writers to lead sessions and this year is no different! (Any of you who are writers should come to it!)

4, I have lived in four different states: Texas, North Carolina, Arkansas, and Alabama.

5, I am the designated dessert maker in our family. When there is a get-together, I am asked and love to make a yummy cake, pie, pudding, or other creation. And when it comes to eating--I say, Eat Dessert First!

6. I love candles, but only floral scented ones. I do NOT like candles that smell like food!

7. I played the violin one year. I played the piano one year. I played the clarinet one year. But I was a Music Lesson Dropout and now I just wish that my parents had made me stick it out (just like they told me I'd say someday!). I LOVE music, yet have almost no musical ability. (Gary, on the other hand, plays the guitar; McKenna plays the french horn; and Delaney sings beautifully.)

Okay... that was really fun!! Now the challenge is to you, yes YOU! Come up with 7 random facts/habits about yourself that we don't know already and share with all of us. Post here in my comments section, or do it on your own blog and let us know about it.

I'm officially tagging these 7 people... Amanda, Susie Q, TKAngels, Kimberly, Aimee, Dawn, and Gary...

but ALL of you should do it! LOL

Have a good one and I challenge you to do two things--
* Post my tag!!
and
* Say, "Oh Sweet Momma!" today like you really mean it!!

23 comments:

Susie Q said...

Oh Sweet Momma! I loved your list! The writer's conference is something amazing!! I adore wroters. try my hand at being one and hope to actually make more money at it someday. Writers are veddy, veddy cool!

LOVED your things...love getting to know more about my dear blog friends!

I will take your list and do it will glee!!

Have a sweet week ahead dear Cheryl!!

Hugs,
Sue

Adrienne said...

She is too funny!!!!!! I didn't know you were afraid of clowns!!!!

Jeff said...

Oh Sweet Momma indeed! Heroes was amazing last night. Four episodes to go... the preview for next week looked even better than what we saw last night.

Seven things... hmmmm...

1-I always sleep on the left side of the bed, even if I'm in it by myself, it's always the left.

2-I wish I had taken dance lessons when I was much younger. I've always wanted to be a dancer since I saw A Chorus Line in the sixth grade. I just didn't act on it.

3-I have an obsession with the short-lived cop/musical show Cop Rock (I've got them all on videotape... and hopefully one day the DVD gods will smiles on this show and it will come out in that format).

4-I love fall mornings when the air is perfectly crisp and the sky is at its brightest blue (some spring mornings can be that way too, but it's usually the fall that has the best mornings).

5-Saturday mornings in the city are amazing. So quiet as people don't usually get out and about until at least 9. Being out for early hockey practice is really amazing becuase everything is so quiet, even in the city that never sleeps.

6-If I could have another career, I think I'd be a teacher or guidance counselor.

7-I love Oreos and Salsa together. Yum!

Kimberly said...

Ok you can go to my blog to check out my responds. Loved yours! I like candles too and not the ones that smell like food. They make me hungry, LOL! Have a great day.

Dawn Bibbs said...

Oh my, it appears that I've been tagged! Tell me, is that because I seem to do whatever people tell me to do? Ok, ok...I'm on it...not right this minute...but soon :-).

Great info on you. Now I feel like I've known you for years :-).

Kimberly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kimberly said...

Ok, it was brought to my attention that I made a spelling error...sorry! I am not good at spelling. Ha, another little tidbit about me!

TK Angels said...

I loved "Oh sweet momma". You are so right-what kids will come up with. What makes it so special is they are so young *smile*.

I loved reading that you and your family help writers. What a wonderful thing to do.

Loved your list to share random things-of blogging buddies. Thank you for tagging me as I also love to answer to lists. I hope to get mine done at lunch.

Take care,
Love,
Terri

Cheryl Wray said...

Susie--Writers are pretty cool, I have to say! I'm from a whole family of them!! Can't wait to see your list later on!
Adrienne-I hate clowns!! Kinda weird...
Jeff--Heroes was SO good!!! I was so excited to have it back! You and Cop Rock!!! Cracks me up! I remember watching it with you back in college, and I just didn't quite "get" it!
Kimberly--Yay!! Going there right now to check it out!
Dawn--You are just so fun to tag!! lol
TK--Can't wait to see your list too!!!

~Telah said...

Oh Sweet Momma...how cute is that?! Sounds like a GREAT LO title to me! Loved learning new things about you...I got tagged too, so it is up on my blog now. Have a great oh-sweet-momma kind of a day!

Phats said...

One of my students got a 100% today on the test, the only one and I said OH SWEET MOMMA!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Sweet Momma! I love that. I have a feeling I'll be saying it all day now, LOL. Loved your answers to the tag...I should have mentioned in mine about my sense of direction (it's non existant). I can get lost driving to the same place over and over again! LOL. And I also do not like clowns. Never have. When I was a kid I was soooo afraid of them! My mom just brought me an old childhood picture of a trip to the circus...a clown posed for a picture right behind me but I wasn't watching...later on when I saw the clown on stage I began to cry not realizing he had just been literally behind me! I'll have to post that picture on my blog soon. I always hated that pic, but now it's kind of a funny story.

aimee said...

Your daughter is too funny! Thanks for tagging me. 7 things? Yikes! I have to get to thinking. Look on my blog tomorrow for the list! :)

Michelle said...

I love that - "oh sweet momma!" I think I'm going to have to start using it as well :)

Congrats to Delaney on her no-hitter - how exciting!

I think I did that tag when it was 6 weird things about yourself? I'll have to go see if I can find it.

You know I was enjoying those 4 HRs by the Sox! What a great series that was!

Wendy said...

hey thanks for the comment. It's nice to have a Bama girl on my comment page. Your life sounds so precious. Man do u sound busy............whew!! lol

Vee said...

I have a great sense of direction too
don't like clowns either, well mostly the ceremic ones

Anonymous said...

Love your list and that little Sydney just says the cutest things!!

Loreluca said...

Isn't that a WONDERFUL TUESDAY??? Oh, Sweet Momma!!! That is hillarious!
Your kids are doing awsome! That girl has a bright future in baseball! Can my husband's softball team borrow her for a game or two?
And definitely, a good tag. Feel free to send any pie our way!
Hugs!

Leah said...

Great list of seven things! and Oh sweet momma that is just too cute!

Cheryl Wray said...

Telah--You are right! I will HAVE to put that on a layout!!
Phats--Your comment made me laugh out loud!!!
Maria--I love your clown story! Glad to know I'm not the only crazy one out there!! lol
Aimee--Can't wait to read yours!! yay!
Michelle--The 4 hrs were awesome!! Love to see things like that (especially when it's a team I like doing it!)
Wendy--Always love to meet new Bama bloggers!!
Vee--LOL! We are alike!
Gin--Yes, you never know what's gonna come out of her mouth!
Loreluca--If you were close by, I would definitelygive you some pie!! lol
Leah--LOL!! Too fun!

Melissa said...

lol at "oh sweet momma"-so cute ;)

love your list-Im not fond of clowns either and Im also the designated dessert maker in my family

Andi said...

Oh Sweet Momma!!! What's for dessert???

Love your "things"! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

AmandaReg said...

Girl, you are so good at keeping me "in the loop". I am going to respond right now! Thanks for the tag and YOU GO DELANEY with that no hitter. I reallllly should pull up some of my old stuff and post some fun pictures. You know those big hair days! AHAHAHA!!