Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Some Sadness,
Some Yummy Happiness, &
Some Sportiness (the good and the bad of it!)


First off...can you all please remember Alexia McWaine in your prayers today? She is a 11-year-old in Delaney's class at school and her mother was one of the two women shot at the Wachovia bank robbery in Bessemer, Alabama yesterday (all of you in Alabama and the South probably heard about it, and I know it made some of the national news outlets too). Just such a sad, sad thing. An armed robber just walked into the bank, shot and killed two tellers, and wounded several more.

Delaney said that her class made cards for Alexia yesterday and the teachers were making food for the funeral. Delaney, who I always say is my most sensitive child, was very upset by it. (In fact, she told me yesterday that too much of this had happened while she was in school.Two years ago, a little boy a grade ahead of her was killed by his father, and then last year one of her classmates lost her mother to cancer.) What do you say to that? I just tried to explain to her that sometimes you just can't understand awful things like that, but she can be the kind of person and friend that others need during times like that. She can reach out with a smile and some kind words, and of course she can pray.

My lesson from it all? Treasure EVERY SINGLE DAY, because you never know when it might be the last you have. Morbid perhaps. But true. Hug your children, tell your husband you love him, reach out in kindness to someone. And do it TODAY!!

And now for some happier news--in fact some Yummy Happy news! lol

One of my favorite guys in the whole wide world--Ryan!--told me Monday night that his office was having a party catered the next day by Full Moon Barbecue, my favorite barbecue in town.I asked him pretty please to bring me some of their yummy, delicious "half moon" chocolate chip cookies if there were any left over. And guess what? He brought me a dozen of them last night out to the ballpark!!

I shared the love, giving one to his wife Allison, McKenna, her boyfriend Murry, and a few other select people! (lol; I had to determine if they were chocolate-chip-cookie-worthy!!). But then I ate FIVE of them all by myself!!! (and they are some big cookies!!) How bad is that???? Sweets are my weakness and these things are so GOOD!!

(And did you know that yesterday was Chocolate Chip Cookie Day? How apropos was that? I think you all need to celebrate it today--just one day late!)

And now...how about some Sportiness?

Last night was our last night of park ball softball. McKenna's team played great and won their game--a good way to end it all! A girl who has only pitched one other game pitched for us (our ace pitcher was sick) and it was so great to see a girl just get out there and have fun! She smiled the whole time and you could tell she was just thrilled to get to be the pitcher for us! So THAT game was good!

The other game of the night was Delaney's, which was the championship game. Delaney had had some amazing games (of her last five games, four had been no-hitters, including one against the team we played last night).Well, last night,they hit off of her and hit BIG; but we hit well too. In the end, though, we lost by 2 and I was so disappointed!!

In fact, I was SO disappointed that I became the parent that I usually hate (we have a few parents on our team this year that have been very foul-mouthed and ugly, so I have sat away from all of them and had been extremely happy and easy-going about it all). But, last night I guess the championship fever got the best of me--or the worst ofme!! lol

I really feel like the coach cost us the game (he had Delaney throw a change-up to someone that should never have a change-up thrown to; and he made some awful base running decisions that cost the game at the end).And, I know... I know...we really shouldn't get mad at coaches because they are doing their best (and Gary has coached enough years that I totally understand about stupid parents). But... the ultra-competitive Cheryl took over and I yelled something out onto the field that I know the coach heard and well...Lord, forgive me for letting it come out of my mouth! lol

(Have I told any of you before that I love sports and am very competitive? lol)

But, ball park season is over and now comes some more travel ball. We will be going to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, right in the midst of the Smokey Mountains, for a tournamen this weekend. Can't wait for that!

I did want to share these few pictures from last night at the ballpark. Delaney pitching...

And I LOVE this one of Delaney. She is always so intense and into the moment. Not sure what she was thinking here, but I can just feel her competiveness...

And then, let me just tell you, this child came home SO dirty last night!!! She played in the rocks and dirts all night long and was a MESS. I think there is still dirt in her ears this morning...


Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!! Today, I am: working on two articles to get turned in by the end of the week, wanting to work on scrap challenges from Your 15 Minutes and One Little Word (but doubt I will have time), and eagerly anticipating "Lost" tonight (I have read some stuff on Entertainment Weekly that has just got me salivating for it!)

See ya tomorrow...

22 comments:

Adriann said...

I will be lifting littl Alexia up in prayer. Such a tragedy to lose a mother at such a young age.

You are too funny about your competitiveness. So you had to let loose... At least you asked for forgiveness. LOL!!!!

Have a fabulous rest of the week and I can't wait to hear about the Tennesee trip.

~Telah said...

Don't forget to go by that scrapbook store in Pigeon Forge we were telling you about!

Anonymous said...

Sending prayers for little Alexia. How sad, sad, sad indeed. Terrible tragedy.

You are so very right about treasuring each day! We just never know. Thanks for the reminder!
Yes, I really hope I can carve some time for the challenges this week! Pretty cool stuff.

Susie said...

Hi Cheryl,
Your posts are always so newsy and full of happy family doins!
I didn't read about that bank robbery, but my prayers will certainly be with the victims.
We had a tragedy in our own town this week where a four year old boy shot his dad in the head with a gun. The 32 yr old dad died instantly. So senseless and so very sad.
Those choc chip cookies look yummy. I think I will celebrate a day late!
:)

Dawn Bibbs said...

I am so sorry to hear about that little girls mom. How does a child live with something like that? I know they are more resiliant than we think...but still. That is so sad.

Ok, I'm with you on the chocolate chip cookie thing! Alright, alright...the whole sweets bit, lol. Those cookies look YUMMY! I'm waiting on my dad to send my stash from NY. I heard about this place on Food Network that sells these 1/2 pound cookies! And just so happens, they're not far from where my dad lives. I did a post on them about a year ago. He sent me a dozen one time...and Cheryl, I'm not lying...the box weighed over 6 pounds! They are awesome!!

You are too funny! You have become a "crazed mom fan"! I don't blame you...if we don't "go to bat" so to speak for our kids...who will??? :-) I'm on your side.

Mz.Elle said...

Oh my gosh that is so sad:(
I'll be keeping them all in my thoughts,and you and your family too.
When I was little I lost a friend to murder. Her father murdered her and her brother. There really is no explanation for such things..

Kimberly White said...

Hugs to you and your daughter! Lifting your daughter and her classmates up in prayer! Kim

Adrienne said...

Tony and I talked about this last night. Soooooo sad....

but full moon is the bomb!!!! im jealous! LOL

Anonymous said...

We've have been keeping Alexia in our prayers. Allison knows the Deputy that shot the SOB that did the Wachovia shooting. He's a hero!!
Glad you enjoyed the cookies though I can't believe you ate 5!!! I ate two at the picnic and that's all I could handle.
Sorry, if I don't share your enthusiasm for the outcome of Mckenna's game. Y'all beat us out of 2nd place. BUT that just goes to show that as a coach you shouldn't only have 1 pitcher to rely on. I almost past out when Jane took the mound, God Bless Her!!! I guess my desire to always help out in a pinch has rubbed off on her. Not Bad.

Anonymous said...

Love those pics!! Sydney is a hoot!

Susie Q said...

How awful..I did hear about this. To lose a mom at such a young age...I will keep her in my prayers.

I laughed out loud when you asked if *they were chocolate chip worthy* A Seinfeld reference! Sort of...*laugh*

Ooh...Gatlinburg. Pigeon Forge us very special to us...what a great time you will have.

Love the pictures as always...and the sports stories!

Oh, Cheryl? Do yo love sports? Just asking...*ducking from Cheryl* Hee hee....

Love,
Sue

Loreluca said...

Cheryl! Soooo sorry to hear this is so close to your little one, too. How devastating it must be for her, how incomprehensible. Great thing she has a good Christian mom to help her cope. Will have Alexia present in our prayers.
Hope you find a little time for the challenges! I'll have to go and check 'em out!!!

TK Angels said...

How awful for that young child to have to go through something so tramatic. I will pray for Alexia.

Hope the team does well in Tennesee.

Umm- I may just have to make some chocolate chip cookies tonihgt after my hair appointment.

Take care,
Love,
Terri

Greta Adams said...

that is sooo terribly sad...i had heard about the bank robbery but the one i heard about on water street in mobile no one got hurt so to much to my disappointment to read this is just shocking to me...do they think it's the same person? Prayers with Alexia's family and Delaney...

Anonymous said...

How terrible of a loss that was the other day...and so sorry that Delaney is having to deal with another death.

We won our championship this year...and now we are playing in a tournament @ Liberty Park this weekend. It never ends!

Kimberly said...

I will be praying for Alexia's family. That is so awful. I love sweets too and like Telah said Don't forget to go the scrapbook store in Pigeon Forge and give yourself a lot of time. I don't know if you have been before...my first time ...I was overwhelmed! Alot to look at! Have a great day!

Michelle said...

that is so sad about Delaney's classmate - will keep her and her family in my prayers.

Unknown said...

Hey Cheryl...just wanted to pop in and say HI!! Those Chocolate chip cookies look super delish!!! and I would have been weighing people and how choclate chip worthy they were if they are as good as you say...lol!! and I too would have had no guilt over polishing off 5...or more...heehee!!

Have a great night and I do hope you get time to do your challenges...especially OLW...LOL!!

ciao chica!

Kim said...

Poor Alexia. It's so hard when our children have to deal with unexplainable evil in this world. With my husband being in the military, we've had to have this conversation too many times lately. My Delaney's best friend from preschool lost her daddy in November over in the desert. I'll pray for Alexia and you guys.

AngelConradie said...

wow- you've been busy.
you know, your girls are lucky to have a mom like you to explain the often sad complications of life to them.

Mississippi Songbird said...

Oh, Yes I will be praying for them.
So awful..

Yes, Each day is so precious..
God Bless all of you.

alexia said...

hi im alexia that everyone has been talking about.......to update you guys i have been doing a lot better than i was before and i really apprciate the prayers for me and my family.Im just now finding this websute i had been looking for it for some months now and i really appreciate everything that you guys have done for me....thank you!!!!!!!