Tuesday, June 26, 2007



A Random Reading Tuesday

Well, here it is another Tuesday already... can you believe it?...
time to be random and learn a little more about each other!

One of my favorite things about Summer is that it usually affords me more of an opportunity to do some pleasure reading than usual. I will read at least a book a week over the summer, sometimes more, and always have my Beach Reads to take with me on vacation.

You'll also remember that one of my 20 things to do this summer (which I shared in last Friday's post) was to start a family reading program. Well, I have done this (I have a cute little posterboard hanging up on the wall, with room for everyone to write down the books they've read; then, once a week or so, we will have a family "book club" meeting where we'll share something about a favorite book we've read. Or at least that's the plan! lol) and it's fun to see what everyone's reading. So far, I just have two on the list, but I'm progressing!

I love books! I always have (I can still fondly remember lying on a beach towel under the tree in our front porch over Summer vacation and reading all afternoon long!) and I hope I always will!

So...on that note... I thought we'd do a fun little Random Reading Tuesday with some fun questions about our favorite books and our reading habits. This will be fun, since I LOVE reading so much; maybe I can even get some good recommendations for a good book to try!

First, though...and this is totally related to this post... look at this great little button I got over at www.itrustsnape.com. Yes, I am a total Harry Potter fanatic and I am one of those who thinks that Snape is still good (Gary and McKenna, on the other hand, think he is a total meanie and think I'm deluded to think otherwise! lol) That site is totally cool and you'll love it if you're a Potter Geek like me!


And now... on to my Random Reading Questions for the day! And, you know how it goes--answer a question or two, answer all of them, or post where we can see the answer son your blog!

1.Hardback or paperback?
I really would rather have a hardback, but I still buy a lot of paperbacks at the used store or when I’m reading something “just for fluff.

2.Buy on line or in a store?
I have bought plenty of books from Amazon (especially when it’s gift-giving time and I’m buying a lot of books as gifts, which I love to do!), but I really love going to the bookstore. Something about the smell, and touching the books, and browsing through them all… and usually there’s coffee!

3. Favorite bookstore?

For a chain store, I really like Barnes & Noble. Great selections, good comfy couches, and mine has Cheesecake Factory cheesecake in their coffee house. But, I love go to used stores and the thrift store to buy books (I have a thriftstore near me where I can always find good books! Nothing like $1.49 hardbacks!)

4. Bookmark or dog ear?
I can’t stand to dog ear a page, so I will use the bookjacket to mark my page (if it’s hardback), use whatever’s handy (a receipt usually! Lol), or just remember what page I’m on!

5. Keep, throw away, or sell?
I’m awful—I just can’t get rid of books, so I have HUGE piles all over the house!

6. Short story or novel?
I really like novels, but I’m actually readng a book of short stories right now and it’s very good

7. Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
I really like to make it to the end of the chapter, but I’ve been known to wake up in the middle of the night with a book opened on top of my chest!
8. New or used?
However I can get them!
9. Morning, afternoon or nighttime reading?

I read more at night, as I’m going to bed. And I really like it then, because it’s when the house is quiet! (Besides, I feel guilty if I read during the day because there’s so much more I need to be doing!)

10. Stand alone or series?

I love mysteries and I love to find a great mystery series. And then there’s Harry Potter…my favorite series of all! But, most of my favorite books are actually stand-alones!

11. Favorite series?

I already mentioned Harry Potter, and it’s gotta be my all-time favorite series. I also love Joan Hess’ Claire Malloy series and Carolyn Hart’s Annie and Max Darling series (both mystery series). And then there are the classic Agatha Christie series (in high school, I went on a major Christie kick and must have read 25 of her books!)
12. Favorite books read last year?

Read a bunch of good ones, but I have to go with The Kite Runner by Khalil Hussein (one of my faves EVER!) and The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd. Both had actually been out two or so years before, but I just got around to reading them.

13. On your “to read” pile right now?

I’m currently reading the 5th Harry Potter book again (and am planning on reading the 6th one again too, before the 7th comes out in like 25 days!!! Woo hoo!), and am also reading The Stories of Eva Luna by Isabel Allende. Next on my pile? The Life of Pi and a few light mysterie.

14. Favorite books of all time?
This is a hard one, because I have loved so many over the years and something new always appeals to me And I always end up forgetting some. But, let’s see…in my top 5 or so would have to be To Kill a Mockingbird (my #1, for sure!), The Great Gatsby (I went through a major Fitzgerald phase for years and would recommend anything he wrote!), Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez is an amazing author and all of his books are incredible, but that one is my absolute favorite!), A Prayer for Owen Meany (a tour-de-force from John Irvingl wow!), and A Time to Love and a Time to Die (Eric Remarque is more well known for All Quiet on the Western Front, but his other books are amazing! You will love this one!) So many more that I could go on-and-on about, but it asked for just 5. LOL!

Okay... join in!!

Happy Reading...and Happy Tuesday!

28 comments:

Loreluca said...

Wowsers, Cheryl! What a great idea as to a summer activity for the family! I can't remember the last time I actually read a whole book (since Connor was born, actually ;)
Reading has been a passion of mine since I was 6, but I don't have the time. I used to before, when I worked outside the house, since I could do that on the train, but I can no longer afford that luxury here at home...
You'll have to tell me all about the books you read! Right now it's all Dr. Seuz and Harry Potter for my kids!

Jeff said...

1.Hardback or paperback?
I love hardbacks. They are just so substantial. Sure, I'll buy a paperback sometimes, but I'll take a hardback anytime.

2.Buy on line or in a store?
Mostly bookstores. Sometimes I'll grab books from Amazon if buying other stuff there, but, just like a hardback, I'd much rather book shop in a book store.

3. Favorite bookstore?
I'll toss out a few here. For a chain store, I love Borders. It's a lot like a Barnes & Noble, but there's something about Borders that just clicks for me. And happily there's one just 10 minute walk from the apartment. In terms of old bookstores, there's Tin Can Mailman in Arcata, CA. I miss this bookstore a lot. You could spend hours rummaging through the two floors of used books and walk out with a lot of books on the cheap. For niche stores, there's Oscar Wilde Books in the Village right here in NYC. In serves the gay community and is one of the few surviving, independent gay bookstores still around. I support them any chance I get. If there's a book I want and they carry it, I'll go out of my way to get it there.

4. Bookmark or dog ear?
I'm sad to say I dog ear. I used to bookmark, but Will made me into a dog ear person. :-/

5. Keep, throw away, or sell?
Mostly I keep... if I get rid of a book I'll either give them away or sell them.

6. Short story or novel?
I'm good with either.

7. Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
Stop reading when I get tired.

8. New or used?
I'm picky, mostly new. There's just something cool about a new book.

9. Morning, afternoon or nighttime reading?
I'll read most anytime, but it is usually always on the subway. I'm on the train a minimum of an hour a day, so it's a great time to read. Ipod+book makes me a happy commuter. I also find that if I'm near the end of a book, I'll finish it before bed so I can start something new the next morning.

10. Stand alone or series?
I've never really considered this. I can easily go any way.

11. Favorite series?
Harry Potter, of course. Tales of the City (reading a new one right now!)

12. Favorite books read last year?
I just finished The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon, which was incredible. Without You written by original Rent cast member Anthony Rapp about the creation of the musical as well as the death of his mother (which was happening while the musical was taking off).

13. On your “to read” pile right now?
JPod by Douglas Coupland, and then it will probably be just exactly time for the new Harry Potter to show up.

14. Favorite books of all time?
The Amazing Advenutres of Kaviler & Clay by Michael Chabon is something I can read and read again (3 times since it came out in 2000). Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane (this book has stuck with me since I had to read it in middle school). The Rainbow Boys trilogy by Alex Schanez (it an cool story of high school angst).

Adrienne said...

1.Hardback or paperback?
paperback

2.Buy on line or in a store?
AMAZON!!! LOL
3. Favorite bookstore?
B&N
4. Bookmark or dog ear?
I'm a dog earer!!
5. Keep, throw away, or sell?
I always pass them on. Not enough room in my house lol
6. Short story or novel?
Novel!
7. Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
Stop when tired!!! lol

8. New or used?
doesn't even matter!

9. Morning, afternoon or nighttime reading?
at night...it's quiet

10. Stand alone or series?
Stand alone...but series are good too

11. Favorite series?
Hmm, not sure I have a favorite..

12. Favorite books read last year?
It HAS To be Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. I read it atleast twice a year, pass it on, only to buy it again.

13. On your “to read” pile right now? I've been listening to audio books while I knit, so I have NO idea! LOL
14. Favorite books of all time?
See number 12! lol
Fun Cherly!

Kingcover said...

As I think you already know I'm not really into reading books. I guess most people get the bug when they are really young - I didn't read when I was younger so I have carried that through to adult life as well. I just don't understand how someone can read one word after another for thousands of words. Give me a colouring-in book and some crayons and I'll be really happy. Oh and a side order of popcorn. Saweeeeeet :)

Unknown said...

Super fun stuff. Just popping in to say hello! :)

Andy said...

i wrote down some of the books that you've read and am going to check them out. thanks. i posted my ramdom tuesday on my blog.

Unknown said...

First of all KCover we know you just can't read! Here's my answers...

1.Hardback or paperback?
hardback if possible.. I like to keep books

2.Buy on line or in a store?
Online at Amazon!!

3. Favorite bookstore?
B&N

4. Bookmark or dog ear?
bookmark, I can't stand my books to be dogeared and won't loan them to anyone that does...

5. Keep, throw away, or sell?
Keep, even if we have to store them away in boxes!

6. Short story or novel?
Novel!

7. Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
Stop when tired!!! lol

8. New or used?
It doesn't matter at all... as long as it is in good condition.

9. Morning, afternoon or nighttime reading?
When I have a chance...

10. Stand alone or series?
Stand alone, but some of my favorites have been series...

11. Favorite series?
Left Behind, Sword of Truth, or Harry Potter... Take your pick

12. Favorite books read last year?
My favorite book, Hemmingway's "The Sun Also Rises" I've read it several times!

13. On your “to read” pile right now? Right now, The new Harry Potter when it comes out... C doesn't have a chance of getting it first cause I'm gonna cut off her card!

14. Favorite books of all time?
The Sun Also Rises...Hemmingway

I did it C!!!

Cheryl Wray said...

Loreluca--I thought it was a good idea, if I do say so myself!! LOL Now if we can actually pull it off and all read and talk about them. We'll see! I'll try and update everyone on the books we read!! I know what you mean about being overrun with kids' books. It will pass, though! lol
Jeff--Loved your list!Sounds like you like Chabon, huh? lol I'll have to check him out! And I definitely remember reading The Red Badge of Courage in maybe 9th grade and it was powerful!
Adrienne--Glad you did the tag! lol I also have Redeeming Love on my "to read" list. Forgot to mention that one! Everyone raves about it and I know it's supposed to be wonderful, so I'm finally going to read it!
King--You are TOO funny!! Tell you what...when I bring you your drink, I'll bring you a coloring book too!
:-)
Tawnya--Hey girl! Good to see you again!
Andy--Oh, yay! Going to read your list in just a sec!
G--Good boy! Love your list! I know how much you love The Sun Also Rises; it almost made my top 5 too!

Kingcover said...

HAHA Gary!
Hey Gary, can you read this ...... phtttttttttttttttttttttttt :D

(I need to clean my monitor screen now .......)

Unknown said...

LOL!!! Yes Kcover I think I got the message. **wiping spit of my face...

by the way C Snape is sooooo guilty!! Come on he did it and he did it because he's a DEATH EATER!!!

Susie Q said...

What a wonderful list dear Cheryl! I may have to copy cat this one! To Kill A Mockingbird is truly the great American novel.
Reading is a pure joy.

Words have a power that nothing else has...

Loved this post Cheryl!

Love,
Sue

Unknown said...

yea, yea, yea,!!

To Kill a Mocking Bird would have to be my next choice.. I've read that one several times too.... Not to mention you dragging me all over South Alabama to find that courthouse!!

Jacquie said...

Big Harry Potter fan here too LOL. Can't wait for book 7! The radio the other day said that it was leaked who dies I'm like ACK turn that off, fortunately they didn't say. I will be avoiding everything I can so it isn't spoiled. Book 6 had me in tears at the end, be prepared ;-)

Anonymous said...

1. PREFER HARDBACK. BUT PAPERBACKS WHEN I HAVE TO
2. BUY IN STORE. OR AT THE THRIFT STORE.
3. BOOKS A MILLION
4. BOOKMARK. DON'T WANT TO DAMAGE THE PAGES.
5. KEEP. I LIKE TO REREAD OCCASIONALLY.
6. BOTH.
7. I TRY TO REACH CHAPTER BREAKS.
8. BOTH
9. WHENEVER I CAN GET THE TIME.
10. BOTH.
11. HARRY POTTER CURRENTLY
12. ATLANTIS FOUND--CLIVE CUSSLER
13. 2 NEW CUSSLER BOOKS BUT DON'T KNOW THE NAMES
14. TIME TO KILL, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, INCA GOLD, WITHOUT REMORSE, POINT OF IMPACT.

BOB BOB

Anonymous said...

Great post today, Cheryl! I also love mysteries.

Southern Heart said...

Cheryl, what a fun list and the reading program is a great experience for your kids, too! We are big readers at our house, too....so much so that it's caused a storage problem in our home. :) Books are everywhere, and we have a tough time letting them go, too! I read all day at work (surgical cases), and wish I had even more free time to read at home than I do.

Andrea

Cheryl Wray said...

King and G--are you boys picking a fight with me on my little ole blog? LOL Glad I can keep you both entertained here!
And G--Snape IS good. I just know it!! (he better be, or I'll cry more this time than last!!)
Susie--I do wish you'd do this on your blog. I'd love to read about your favorite books!
Jacquie--I'm trying to avoid all spoilers!! I don't want to know ANYTHING before I read it. But I do have a bad feeling that someone big is gonna die (like maybe one of the three! ugh...it'll kill me!)
Bobby--You and Clive Cussler. i guess i really do need to try one smeday, huh? lol
Gin--I love mysteries. They are my "guilty" pleasure reading!
Andrea--I truly LOVE books and they have taken over our house too! I'd love to know what you love to read!

Susie said...

I always say that instilling the love of reading in one's children is one of the greatest gifts that a parent can give a child. You obviously are doing just that!
:)

Tammy said...

That is an awesome meme that I will have to try someday!
:)

Unknown said...

BOB BOB!!! You still around?? Hey I'll give you a call. I might need your help again!! LOL Seems like that's the only time I talk to you! I'll get cheryl to cook something good!!!

Or maybe just a pizza....

Andy said...

redeeming love is an excellant book. it's on my list as a favorite.

Mississippi Songbird said...

1.paperback...that seems to work for me. More affordable and portable..lol
2.Buy on-line mostly. I love getting mail...
3.Barnes & Noble
4.Bookmark
5.Pass around...
6.Short story and novel..I like both
7.chapter breaks
8.mostly new..but I look thru old books at the garage sales...
9.Nighttime
10.Stand alone
11.More like Favorite author
( Grisham )
12.Danielle Steele - Miracle
13.Harry Potter
14.Jaws
and Silence Of The Lamb

Dawn Bibbs said...

Ok Cheryl, this is gonna be the easiest list I've EVER participated in. Seriously!!! I can answer ALL of the questions with just one answer. Here goes:

"I'm not much of a book reader. However, I LOVE magazines. I use to read books, but I got bored too quickly or I was/am easily distracted. So, magazines it is for the ole Bibbster :-). Oh, and I'm a dog earer (is that a word?) I read and REread ALL of my magazines. I've done really well over the past few years, and learned not to hoard. Once or twice a year, I either donate or throw away old issues. Guess I'd better start getting rid of my 2006's, huh? LOL"

That's it for me. Thanks for the fun!! Happy reading everyone!

Mandy said...

Love this one! Played along on my blog. Do you read Mary Higgins Clark? If so, I have her new one in hardback that you can have. I see where they rescheduled the class for Thursday night so I'll see you then.

Wendy said...

Hey Cheryl...Thanks for the maessage you left on my website. I appreciate it. Wow how can I answer all those questions about books so fast? Here goes
1.I love hardbacks so much more but usually cannot afford them unless I find a good deal.
2.I buy in stores only.
3.It would have to be BAM...They are so junky and it makes me feel like I am scouting through a thrift store...lol
4.I.m a bookmark person
5.I only keep the really good ones. Usually give them away.
6.Either is fine with me
7.Tired usually does it for me
8.I love anything I can get my hands on
9. I usually get to read only at night but love to read anytime.
10.I can go either way on this. It doesn't matter as long as I enjoy the book
11.Uhhh...I don't have any
12.Oh my goodness...Anything that is Nicholas Sparks or Karen Kingbury
13.Um A book by Angela Thomas on Single Moms and some books I found at the library for sale
14.The Notebook would be it. Also loved the Marley and me book. If you are a dog lover you need to read this book.

Linda said...

1-either
2-both I have bought books from Amazon but I really love going to the thrift store and going thru the books.
3-Barnes & Noble
4-bookmark
5-keep them!! I have books everywhere
6-novel
7-stop reading
8-both
9-whenever I can squeeze in reading time
10-both
11-Harry Potter and when I was a teen Nancy Drew
12-To many to list but The Stand was one of my top favs. I also read the The Mermaid Chair and enjoyed it.
13-The Beach Road
14-I got way to many to list.

Anonymous said...

1.Hardback or paperback?
i'm a paperback kinda gal, hardbacks are nice, but there's something about paperbacks. and they're cheaper.
:D

2.Buy on line or in a store?
seeing as how i dont have a credit card buying on line isn't really an option. but even if it was, id still go with buying in a store. i love looking out for used book stores and i love going to the chain stores. starbucks, coffee??
:D

3. Favorite bookstore?
Barnes and Noble,definetly.

4. Bookmark or dog ear?
dog ear, i dont like having things hanging outta my books. although, when i borrow books and i dog-ear them, i know some people hate it!
when reading harback, i'll use inside flap, but otherwise, dog-ear!

5. Keep, throw away, or sell?
keep!
i've got stacks of books that won't fit on my one measly bookshelf.

6. Short story or novel?
NOVEL!

7. Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
tired! most definetly.

8. New or used?
mostly used, if i have money for them, new!

9. Morning, afternoon or nighttime reading?
mostly nightime.
ive been known to stay up until 2,3 in the morning just reading.
:D
but sometimes afternoon, never morning.

10. Stand alone or series?
mostly stand alone.

11. Favorite series?
Harry Potter, and Lurlene McDaniele, Daniele Steel books.but those aren't really series, as much as authors.

12. Favorite books read last year?
ohh..cant remember.:D

13. On your “to read” pile right now?
5th,6th HP books.

14. Favorite books of all time?
To Kill a Mockingbird.
A Peice of Cake.
Telling Christina Goodbye.

hmmmm...i have more!

Anonymous said...

1.Hardbacks,they dont get destroyed like paperbacks do.
Stores are so much funner.
3.Barnes and Noble of course.Plus i love the Joe Muggs coffee store in it.
4.Well, i just remember where im at and dont even mark my page. ut if iwould use one of the 2 id pick bookmark.
5. I keep most all my books.i wouldnt throw them away.
6.I read both.
7.I stop reding when i get tired of reading.
8.I dont care.
9.I read alot at night before i go to bed.
10.ill go either way.
11.I like the Harry Potter series.
12.Im not so sure, maybe Walk 2 moons.
13.Im reading TTYL right now.
14.Wanderer for sure.