Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Some Scrappy Goodness!

But, first, here are a few things I learned yesterday:

~ You should never ride a ride with a name like "Mind Spinner" AFTER riding two rides called The Scrambler and The Hurricane. McKenna assured me that the aformentioned ride wasn't bad, but then...it turned my stomach into a tornado. It made me SO sick!!! It literally took me 40 minutes to recover! (We wet last nignt to the local theme park where we have season passes. It was really nice, because Gary got to go with us, the wind was blowing ever so lightly and it actually felt good outisde, and we had a really yummy funnel cake...but the ride--NOT so good!)

~ Children will ignore you for a solid hour, but when you have to talk to someone important on the telephone (in this case, it was a source for an article I had to get done) they will find that exact moment to come yell in your face, get giggle fits, and poke you repeatedly on the arm!

~ Sydney can say the darnedest things (as if you guys didn't know this already! lol). My favorite quote of the day was when we left the bathroom at the theme park and I said, "Well, we're done. Let's go find the guys" (meaning Gary, McKenna, and Delaney). Sydney answered me, "Nope. Let's go find the two girls and the guy." I stand corrected!

~ Sisters can be irritating one moment (picking at each other repeatedly in the car, doing things that they know bothers the other!) and then so sweet the next (McK asking Sydney to come have a bubble bath; all the girls watching movies and wrestling together).

~ I have the coolest blog friends who gave me some wonderful reading recommendations! I loved all of your comments yesterday on my reading blog and now I have all sorts of books I want to check out. There is very little I like more than discovering new books and authors, so I'm very excited about this!

~ Did I mention that funnel cakes are really yummy? (Especially when they're hot out of the oil and covered in a blizzard of confectioner's sugar.)

Okay...now on to my Scrappy Goodness!!!

I decided that I would chronicle my list of 20 things I want to do this Summer (which I posted about last Friday, if you want to go read it) in a scrapbook. It will be an 8.5 x 11 book and will include photos of the activities we do and the things I accomplish (or won't have pictures, if that fits in better). I think it will be a cool place and way to document my summer.

This is the title page I made for it, with each of my 20 items listed out. (I also submitted this as my Scrapjack challenge for this week--which was to do a photo-less layout.)



And then I FINALLY got around to doing a page that I've wanted to do for quite a while. But I guess I knew I wanted it to be a special one, so I took my time to get around to it! (Do you ever do that?) I don't know if you'll remember, but back in March we went to Florida for a family reunion with Gary's maternal grandmother's side of the family. While there, we visited the old family homestead and I took this picture of Delaney with Gary on the front porch. I took the picture with these other two pictures in mind--I knew that I had photos of Gary as a little boy with his Mamaw and Daddy Bill in the same location. I knew that I would want to do a scrapbook page connecting the generations. And finally I did...



The journaling on it says, in part (on the two diferent tags) :

"What I learned:
1. to treasure moments
2 appreciate the past
3 . scrap old photos
4. go places
5. love my family
6. realize the connections"

I really believe that pages like this will be some of the ones I treasure the most as time goes by!

Now, on to today...
we're meeting my parents for lunch at Cracker Barrel (yumm...I'm getting me some catfish and dumplings! I can taste them already!) and then I 've got to get some assignments done (have I told you yet that I'm a procrastinaor? I like to wait until the last minute and they're both due tomorrow. So I gotta get to work!)

See you all again soon!

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl - your blog is one of my favorites...always fun to read...hope you complete your "20 things to do this summer"! Keep us posted as you tick them off! ~Cathy

Kimberly said...

I love roller coasters...but I don't get to ride them very often. I have riden one in years.. Hope you have a great day and that get your work done.

Kelly said...

I got tears in my eyes when I saw the picture of the porch. That is so special.

Kelly said...

ps
I have memories of sitting on my mammaw and pappaw's porch swing in South Arkansas.

Adrienne said...

Awwwww, great post!!!

Cheryl Wray said...

Hey Cathy!! So glad you commented today! I love to meet people who read my blog. Do you have one? I'd love to come visit if you do!
Kimberly--I do NOT ride roller coasters, but I ride fast ones that stay on the ground. But I screwed up by riding three in a row! Yuck!!!
Kelly--Aren't those some of the best memories? I love them! And that page really makes me tear up too!
Adrienne--Awww...thanks!

Leah said...

I want a funnel cake now!!

Love your scrapjack..and the then and now page is priceless!

Theresa Tyree said...

Cheryl, I love all your random thoughts- all the juicy little tidbits that make up your life. We must have the same brain because I totally relate to the randomness and the need to get everything down at once.
I am so in love with your layout of Gary when he was little on the porch countered against your daughter in the same spot. What a priceless treasure.
I finished up your RAK thank you last night and will get it in the mail to you. I wanted to make something for you which is why it's taken so long to get to you. Sorry for the delay. Hope you enjoy it.
Theresa

Hippofatamus said...

Hi Cheryl! As always your posts are so inspirational. Such great layouts you share with us. I have been awol from the blogging world for a while and can't wait to read your back posts to catch up! Hope you are doing well!

Tammy said...

I stayed far away from the rides at Dollywood...I just enjoyed all the shows so much, plus my neck has a pinched nerve and I did not want to make that worse...plus, I've turned into a chicken in my middle age!!
Your scrap pages are da bomb!
:)

Anonymous said...

Cheryl -- I love looking at your blog every day - I go to Trinity United Methodist Church in Homewood and I think we have been at Camp Sumatanga at the same time - maybe an Emmaus walk? You are a great writer and I feel like I know all of your family just from reading each day!

Lisa Elliott

Bethany E. said...

awwww...I LOVE your 20 things page and I think it's so cool you're going to create an album out of it! Can't wait to see the rest. :)

scrapperjen said...

Gorgeous layouts - as usual! :)
I love what you learned - too funny! and SO true!
HUGS!

Kingcover said...

How many scrap books and pages have you done in your life. There must be hundreds of them floating around your house. It's no wonder that Gary prefers to sleep outside in a cardboard box because there probably isn't room for him indoors :D
Hey Gary, hold onto that box with your life. Cheryl might take it from you to put some scrap books into and then the only thing left for you to sleep on will be the front lawn!!!

Crazy Working Mom said...

I LOVE that layout on the front porch! That is such an AWESOME idea. You are so creative, Cheryl. That is something that your family will always cherish. :)

GREAT JOB, and great post.

Unknown said...

KCover - Our front lawn is a downhill slope... I'd lay down and the next morning be three roads down..... Not to mention right now I'd get lost in the grass.... Grass doesn't get cut because of Softball season... I just get someone to come out once per season and cut it for hay!

Unknown said...

Hey, I may just take over C's blog.... the people are so much fun here!

Cheryl Wray said...

Leah--Oh yeah I could take another funnel cake right now.SO good!
Theresa-Oh, how FUN!! I can't wait to get my RAK. You are SO sweet!!!
Coleen--It is SO good to see you again! I have thought of yo uover the last couple of months, hoping that you were doing well!
Earlybird--I've always been a wimp at theme parks but I guess middle age is making worse for me too. LOL You are da bomb for saying so!! ;-)

Lisa--That is so cool to see you on here!! yes, we have done stuff at Emmaus together. I don't think we were on our original walks together--mine was 188--but we may have worked on one since. Gary and I have worked on three of them! Keep coming back and leaving comments. You are too sweet!

Kingcover said...

Just watch out for the vehicles in the middle of the night Gary. You don't want to become roadkill as you slip down those roads in your sleep. Cheryl would only have to clean the mess up the next morning. But at least she would have your truck to transport your body to the nearest pond and dump you in it. Out of sight out of mind, eh Cheryl?

Cheryl Wray said...

Sophiasmom--I'm excited about the album! I'll be sure to share the whole thing when the summer's over!
Scrapperjen--Thanks!!!
King--I literally have hundreds of scrapbook pages and have probably at least 25 books!! I love Gary, but if our house was on fire I'd pushed him aside and grab my scrapbooks!! lol
Crazy--Thanks!! I really enjoy doing pages like that one!!
Gary--Hey, go get your own cool friends!! Just kidding...I seriously have the coolest, funnest (I don't think that's a word!) blog commenters in the world!!

Unknown said...

OK SLACKER!!!

It's time to post again..!!

Kingcover said...

Wow, Gary is a hard taskmaster Cheryl. No wonder you chuck him out at nights lol.

Dawn Bibbs said...

Cheryl, you are quite the woman! I can't remember the last time I went on a roller coaster. I may need to do that one more time...hopefully soon.

I really like your LO's. You do awesome work. I knew when you shared that picture of Delaney and Gary on the porch a few months ago, that it would soon be an awesome LO. Great job!! Priceless.

Phats said...

I love rides can I go next time?!

I want to recommend books my turn my turn! The Long Walk Stephen King, Penrod Booth Tarkington, Anything by Iris Johansen, Kill the Messenger by Tammy Hoag, and Any Alex Cross books by James Patterson!

I have a challenge for you and gary on my blog

Adriann said...

I love your then and now photo! Beautiful sentiments and what a beautiful moment to capture.

TK Angels said...

I love this post. I love your post on what you learned. But-from what I have learned about you so far-you already knew them *smile*

Your love for your family shines through in every post.

Take care,
Love,
Terri