Thursday, June 14, 2007

Scrappy and Words-y Creations

I'm excited, because I've got two of my FAVORITE things in the world coming up in the next several days. I absolutely love to teach and encourage other people. I started doing it with aspiring writers and now I also do it with scrapbookers--and I'll be doing both soon!

Next Tuedsay night at my lss, Scrapbook Mania, I will be teaching a Scraplifts & Sketches class and we will be doing these two layouts! (They use some really pretty Crate Paper and SEI papers and products.)



The idea for this class is that you can really reduce your scrapbooking time by scraplifting your ideas from magazines and idea books, and from using layout sketches. I used inspiration from Scrapbook Trends and Creating Keepsakes to do these two layouts. I will also be giving a lot of other examples of how I use both scraplifts and sketches and give tips on how to do both techniques at different levels.

If you are near Birmingham, I'd love to have you in my class. Just let me know if you can be there and I'll spred the word to India at the store!

Then...in mere moments, I will be heading down to Tuscaloosa to spend the next several days at the Southern Christian Writers Conference. We are meeting my bestest friend since high school, Angela, for lunch first at Mellow Mushroom (oh yeah!), then going to my parents' to get ready for the conference. (Doubly excited also because my Grandma from Texas will be in town and it is always SO much fun to spend time with her!)

I will be leading two sessions on freelance magazine writing (what I do when I don't blog, scrapbook, and hang out at the ballpark! LOL) and will also help do anything else that needs to be done! My parents are the founders and co- coordinators and I pretty much help out any way I can! It's always an awesome weekend, and I'm sure this one will be no different!!

We also have a book room, where workshop leaders and attendees can sell their books and other writing-related things. I will sell this book...


And I also enjoy making some creations using my scrapbook supplies. I've made altered journals and date books in the best. This year, I've made some cute little writing notebooks using some of the Elsie paper. This is one of them...


And I did some things with some of Gary's gorgeous photos, adding quotes about writing to them. Like this...

I'm really looking forward to the weekend. It will be tiring, but also rejuvenating. It always is!!

What do you have planned for your weekend? I would love to hear about it!

15 comments:

~Karrilee~ from Abiding Love, Abounding Grace said...

Wow... I am so jealous... I would LOVE to attend a conference like that... but - I have yet to find something close by that would offer not only writers info - but Christian writers info!!? One day... I am sure! Have a GREAT time... I would love to get your impression of the conference when you get home and also maybe some of your favorite picks from the Book room! Fun!!!

Adrienne said...

Have a GOOD TIME! LOVE the LO's and I LOVE mellow mushroom!!!!!

Dawn Bibbs said...

Wow, pretty impressive! That all sounds like so much fun. I love to write too, but only when I want to...lol. So I'd be a terrible freelance person :-).

Hope you guys have a great time at the conference and with your family.

Be safe!

Susie Q said...

How impressive is this!

I so want to be able to write for magazines and now I know where to get the book!! : ) Oh would I love to be at the conference.
I know you will be loving all of it!
Have a great time and tell us all about it next week!

Loved the scrap pages too!

Love,
Sue

Bethany E. said...

Man, you're a busy girl! Enjoy your time and tell us about it when you get back!

Kimberly said...

Love your layouts and wish I lived closer,so I could come to your class. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

That sounds SO great!!! Would love to c ome to both of them.

TK Angels said...

I love the scrapbook pages. I can just imagine that you are a fantastic teacher. Both with the scrapbooking and with your conference. How I wish we were close. I would totally enjoy your classes.

Take care,
Love,
Terri

Josie said...

I love that altered notebook...I wish I lived closer to take your class...Have a fab weekend!

Anonymous said...

What I would give to attend one of your sessions! Awww...one can ony dream! How very cool layouts and projects. I simply LOVE your work. Great quote on that beautiful red rose! Have you seen my quote blog lately? I have been putting quotes on pictures too, LOL. See? Great minds think alike, LOL! :)

AngelConradie said...

i just love your ideas cheryl! my mom and i have both been inspired to blog more often!

Kimberly White said...

Wonderful layouts Cheryl! Hope you have fun teaching that class - sounds great! I really like that mini book you made too! Kim

Dettao said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I don't live near Birmingham but my husband's family is in Sylacauga. We go there to visit about once a year. Small world, huh?

Mandy said...

Love the layouts - especially the first one - so much that I signed up for your class. See you Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!! All of that looks great!
Hope the weekend went great!