Sunday, July 01, 2007

Blech!!
(but then there's always cake!)


Well, we got home earlier yesterday than expected from our state softball tournament. We did pretty well Friday night and early Saturday, but then got out quick when it went to single elimination. We lost a game we never should have lost, giving up a ton of points because of errors. But that's the breaks...sometimes it rolls your way, and sometimes it doesn't. (We just hope that we work out the kinks before this next weekend, because that's our trip to the World Series and Panama City Beach. Yay! I CANNOT wait to get to the beach, eat me some gumbo, drink me some pina coladas, soak up some rays, and watch a little ball in between at all.)

So...blech!...that's how I felt after the game yesterday. But then, as Delaney put it, we got to come home early and rest (which, I think, shows that she might be getting a little tired of ball, since my Ultra Competitive Daughter never goes down without a fight! lol)

But she was right! It was nice to come home, take baths, do some reading, wash some clothes, cook a little bit, and be able to get up this morning for church without too much hassle.

And, as my title says, There's Always Cake!! (and that can make anything better!!)

We had a potluck after church today and I made one of my favorite, easy breezy desserts!



Decadent Candy Bar Cake

Bake a chocolate cake mix as directed on package (I like to use either Swiss Cake or German Chocolate). While it's still warm after baking, poke holes in the cake with the end of a spoon or a straw. Pour one can of sweetened condensed milk over the cake (this will soak through the holes and into the cake; divine!). After cooled, mix one tub of cool whip with one chopped up Hershey's milk chocolate bar or chocolate bar with almonds (depending on whether you like nuts or not!). Drizzle with chocolate sauce.

It is SO easy, but SO good!

And, oh yeah, we made our first tub of homemade ice cream yesterday too. Chocolate! AND we went to an awesome used bookstore. Got a copy of a Joan Hess mystery, a Remarch novel, and several books for McKenna and Delaney. AND I finished the 5th HP book--which I read in anticipation of the movie and the 7th book--while we rested by the campers during a brief rainstorm! That was cool!

(There I am reading, down in the corner! lol)


Right now I am resting a bit after church and relaxing before we head out to the movies to celebrate my nephew Steven's birthday. We didn't get a chance to celebrate yesterday at the "official" party, since we were out of town so we are taking him to the movies instead! We're looking forward to that!

Hope you are having a restful Sunday!

I'm off to stuff myself with buttery movie popcorn...

14 comments:

Adrienne said...

YUM! the cake looks so good! I always do the butterfinger! Its always the first thing gone! We are relaxing too....staying OUT of the heat! Everyone put on pj's after church! LOL

Crazy Working Mom said...

A post about buttery popcorn and candy bar cake...who could ask for more?!?!

Michelle said...

oh my goodness that cake looks delicious!

Jacquie said...

MMMMM I Want Cake!!! LOL. Looks yummy.

Wendy said...

Did you say homemade ice cream?? and that cake looked divine. I hope you guys make it to the tournament. The beach would be awesome right about now. What is it about the beach and pina coladas that go together? lol Have a great week..

Unknown said...

Hey C!! That's our second batch of homemade Icecream!! We did the first batch on Father's Day!! And you forgot to post the pic of you eating it!

Dawn Bibbs said...

Oooo, Panama City...sounds like fun. Wonder why the soccer teams never go to places like that? :-)

That cake looks DEEElicious! Think it'll ship well to Ga? lol

Anonymous said...

That cake looks so good! Sorry about the games. I'm sure they will do better next time.

Adriann said...

The cake sounds Deelish!!! Sounds like a fabulous weekend. Love the LO! Best friends are like sisters, but better because we chose each other. Have a nice week!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous and delicious looking cake! Yum! Sounds like a super fun weekend!

Mandy said...

Oh yummy! That sounds like something I might could manage.

Mississippi Songbird said...

Oh My Goodness! The candybar cake looks so good.. I've got to make it.. Thanks for the recipe..

Susie Q said...

Ooh what a wonderful cake! And home made ice cream...chocolate!

And...ooooohhhhh pppppoooooppppppccccoooorrrrnnnnn. Buttery goodness. What movie did you see?

Love,
Sue

Anonymous said...

As Rachel Ray would say....YUMMO! I am going to have make that! Now I am hungry after reading about homemade ice cream and that cake! Gonna go run and make some breakfas!