Thursday, October 04, 2007

A Teenager's Rite of Passage

Okay, she's not REALLY a teenager yet. Delaney's just 11, but she IS in middle school...and so it begins!

Delaney is really flourishng so far at the middle school. She joined the photography club and the Math Club (I pretty much have a hate/hate relationship with anything involving numbers, but for some reason she got her Pop's love of mathematics and is just an amazing whiz at it! It's so funny, because she is this weird amalgam of Athletics and Academics. She loves to play softball--you all know that!--but she is also great at school. I just hope she stays well-rounded over the years). And she tried out yesterday afternoon for the newcomb team (some strange manifestation of volleyball). I think she's taking after her older sister and is going to be involved in as much as she can (which I am ALL for! The more activities you're in, the less trouble you'll get into!)

Well, tonight though, is the first real rite of passage for middle school students. It's the night of the homecoming game and the Homecoming DANCE! And, of course, Delaney is so excited about going!

I don't know how many of you have ever attended a middle school dance, but let me just tell you that "amusing" doesn't even begin to describe it. There's not really much dancing going on, but there is a lot of walking back and forth from the dance floor to the concession stand...a lot of hanging out in large, circular clusters...a lot of boys following after girls like lost puppy dogs....a lot of gossip and giggling. And, really, it is sort of fun to go soak it all in and have flashbacks to when you yourself were 12-years-old.

Parents are encouraged to stay, so I will be sitting up in the Parents "Balcony" (the upper part of the gym, where you can "spy" on everyone really well). I am hoping that Adrienne's daughter decides to go to the dance, because then Adrienne and I can sit up there and "spy" together. LOL

And, yes, before the night is over I'm sure that I will hear two inevitable dance songs....the "classic" "Cha Cha Slide" and the newly-popular "Soulja Boy" (I'm sure I spelled that WRONG! lol). Fun, fun!

I laugh about the ways of middle schoolers (and, let's face it, there is a lot of humor in those years; cmon now...think back to those times for you!), but it's also really cool to see Delaney merge into this most recent phase of her life. I tell people all the time that I have truly loved ALL ages of my children's lives. Some people say they couldn't stand the "terrible twos" or that the teenage years were just ones they wanted to blink and have over. Well, I'm not saying that there haven't been challenges in those different times...but I can truly say that I love each of those ages. And I have really totally enjoyed McKenna's teen years so far; I love teenagers for so many reasons... their energy and fun, their growing maturity, their honesty. And, because I've enjoyed McKenna so far, I'm enjoying the fact that I know I can make it through Delaney's years as well. (Fingers crossed, at least!!)

And so, I guess, tonight it begins again! The first middle school dance!

(I will give you updates...I promise.)

And now, in the spirit of middle school Homecoming Week, here are three pictures of Delaney dressed up this week.

Monday was Celebrity Day (she went as Miley Cyrus, who plays "Hannah Montana" on Disney Channel) . . .

Tuesday was Nerd Day (the picture is totally blurry, but I HAD to include it. She looked HI-larious!!)

Wednesday was Jailbird Day, but I can't find my pictures (just let me assure you that she was one of the most stylish jailbirds I've ever seen!) .And today was Tacky School Spirit day. Can we say Oh So Tacky? (just love the bun on one side and the ponytail on the other!)...


Talk to ya soon!

Edited to Add: Delaney is so excited! She made the newcomb team! She was really nervous about it, because around 35 girls tried out and there were only 12 positions. Very proud! (And, Jeff, newcomb is like this strange version of volleyball where they catch the ball instead of hit it back over. Weird!)

28 comments:

Dawn Bibbs said...

Oooo, cool...I'm first today!!! It's the small things in life :-).

Unfortunately, I didn't have a middle school homecoming dance..or any kind of middle school dance. Reason being, I didn't go to middle school. Actually, had never even HEARD of a middle or Jr. high school until it was time for my daughter to go. I went from elementary right into high school. Talk about culture shock!!

I do, however, remember my daughter going to a middle school dance. She was totally shocked that I even let her go :-). She had a great time. But tells me that she kept looking at the entrance because she was scared to death that I'd just show up...and not only show up, but with giant pink rollers in my hair, a scarf on my head and my 3 size too big jammies, LOL. Oh and holding a Dr. Pepper! Wonder where she got that from?

I'm looking forward to Jayla's school dances. Have a great day, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunatly, Gage wants to go to the homecoming dance tonight but none of his friends are going so he is scared he will have no one to hang out with there. What should I do? let him go? Or save him the embarrassment of not having any friends there?

Monogram Queen said...

Too cute! I love little slices of life and rites of passage such as this one.

Oh and how in the world does my almost 3 y/o know Souljah Boy????

Unknown said...

LOL, I loved the pictures of Delaney and the ones of McKenna because I'm gone to work by the time you guys get up and get ready so I didn't get to see them! Thanks for those little things I miss... that's the reason I love your blog!

Cheryl Wray said...

Dawn--That is SO funny about your dd thinking you'd show up with curlers in her hair!! HA!!!!! (I'd be holding the Diet Dr. Pepper myself!!)

Misty--That's a tough one! You'd hate for him to go and not have anyone to hang out with. He needs to FORCE one of his friends to go with him!! You could also come up and sit with us and if he decides to leave, you could then take him home and he wouldn't have to wait around!

Patti--That is SO funny!! it's like my three-year-old singing "Fergilicious!" It's just not right!

Gary--Pretty bad when you have to check my blog to see what we're doing, huh? lol

Adriann said...

How nice! I remember Jr. High... So days were filled with a lot of girl bonding and Tiger Beat magazine.

Delaney look so cute. I know she will have a ball at the dance.

You and Gary are doing a great job with your girls. WTG!!!

Danielle said...

WOW...your little Delaney is super special :) How awesome it is for her to be joining so many clubs!!!

I can't believe they already have dances for middle school. She sure will have fun :)

Love the photos!!! and love her name :D

Renee said...

Oh, she looks too little to be going to a dance already! I know Anna will be starting soon, but I don't think I'm ready.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it so exciting watching your baby grow into a young lady? Nobody told about that wonderful part only warned me of the dreaded teenage years. I think they missed the exciting bits!! I love watching Alexa grow and change, watch her make choices and mature!

Cheryl Wray said...

Adriann--I really have some good memories of junior high (well, and also a lot of crappy ones!! LOL But good too...) Gary and I do our best. We have our bad parenting days, but 99% of the time it's a joy!!

Danielle--She is too excited about going! And thanks abouther name! We love it too!!!!

Renee--Are we ever really ready? It just happens so quickly!

Heather--That is EXACTLY how I feel about it! All most people tell you are about the "bad" teen years, and I just think it's a myth. My oldest, McKenna, tells me allthe time how she hates it what people think about teeangers. Because there are so many great ones!!! I LOVE seeing them develop into young ladies. Just amazing to watch!

Jeff said...

Wow... the first dance of Middle School. I look forward to reading all the details. Is Delaney good with the idea that you broadcast to the entire blogsphere?

And can you find out more about this newcomb thing? I've never heard of that before. Are they making up new sports down there?

Anonymous said...

oh my. The memories!

scrapperjen said...

Oooohhhh - how fun!!!!! I love her outfits.

Ahhh - the middle school dance. Yes, I VAGUELY remember...

Enjoy!

Jenster said...

Great photos!!

I have a teenage boy and a daughter who will be 13 in less than two weeks. And I totally agree with you. They're just fun! I haven't hated any age and while I get nostalgic and melancholy sometimes when I think of their "cute" years, I thoroughly enjoy them right now, too.

Hope she had a great dance!

Melissa said...

My favorite day was pajama and slippers day. Perfect.

I didn't get homecoming until high school though. While in middle school, we celebrated National Lutheran Schools week and had silly dress up days.

Have fun spying!!

Andi said...

Such a pretty girl and smart and athletic to boot! She's going to be very popular!!! Love the pictures of the special days!

Be sure and get a picture of the dance attire to share!

We're Alabama bound in the morning. I'm determined to get some fried green tomatoes at the Whistlestop/Irondale Cafe!

Adrienne said...

Isn't it great!! She is going! YAY! LOL

Cheryl Wray said...

Jeff--LOL! I guess she has to be! Besides, part of my job as Mom is embarrassing her in front of all of Blogland!! BTW--she made the Newcomb team. She was SO excited!! (35 girls tried out and 12 made it!)It's some sort of bizarre volleyball game where they catch the ball instead of hit it over.It gets them ready for volleyball, I guess. Weird!!

Gin--Oh yeah!! :-)

Scrapperjen--She really got into the dressing up!

Jenster--You're right! Every age is cool!

Cheryl Wray said...

Melissa--Oh, pajamas day sounds FUN!! Delaney wanted them to do that one, but it wasn't one of the days!

Andi--Yay!!! You have GOT to get some fried green tomatoes.They are SO yummy!!! You will love them!!

Adrienne--Yay!!! I'm so glad she's going! Delaney is excited!

Trish said...

Wow, middle school dances. That brings back memories!

Cute, cute pictures! Love the "nerd" one!

NY KAT said...

I definitely agree with you...the more activities they are in, the less trouble! When I was in school I never had a free moment to get in trouble!

~Telah said...

Love that nerd picture! Too cute!

Mandy said...

I loved dress up days in high school during homecoming (we didn't have a middle school at the time, but they do now). We always had the same ones each year though - pajama day (my personal favorive), hick day, camafloge day, retro day and spirit day.

Congrats to Delaney on making the team!

Mz.Elle said...

I found the same thing..I enjoy all stages with my kids too..we must be doing something right,huh?;p

I LOVED dances when I was in school,I imagine they are so much as an adult watching hee hee have fun!

Trina said...

how cute are her coustumes!!! love them!! I can't even begin to imagine my son going to school dances....

Phats said...

CONGRATS on making the team that's great. MS Homecoming?! That's weird haha.

If I never hear Soulja Boy again I would be a very happy person. I can do with or without the Cha Cha Slide.

Check out your hubby's picks

Edleen said...

ohh...those photos are precious!!! ahh...you have a Tweenager too :D

can't wait to hera of how the dance went!

AngelConradie said...

woohooo!!! wonderful to have your child do so well and be so happy!!