39 Things to do Before I'm 40
Nope, not turning 40 this week or even this month. But, in the eternal words of Meg Ryan in "When Harry Met Sally"... "it's OUT there!" (Of course, she was talking about turning 30, but still...)
I won't be 40 until the end of the summer, but I've been thinking lately how the Big Birthday is coming up very soon. And, I also recently read about my blog (and "in real life") friend Kelly celebrating her 40th birthday (and when a friend who you used to play "Charlie's Angels" with when you were ten-years-old has just celebrated the milestone, it kinda puts it in proper perspective).
I'm not one of those women who worries about the "big" birthdays; in fact, I'm looking forward to wearing my 40th birthday as a badge of accomplishment. Still...it IS momentous, I think. It's another turning of the page.
So...I happened upon this incredible idea from this cool BLOG, and I just knew I had to adopt it as my own.
So, I'm posting this list now...with the hopes of actually accomplishing these in the next five months. Let it inspire you to think about the things--both big and small--that you want to feel, and accomplish, and dream, and experience in your life right now and very soon. (and maybe create a similar list on your blog?)
Here are 39 things I want to do before I'm 40 (in no real particular order)...
1. Stick my toes in the Atlantic Ocean.
2. Stick my toes in a cold creek.
3. Try Indian food.
4. Read three classics that are "new" to me (no re-reading allowed).
5. Sew something.
6. Interview Gan Gan.
7. Interview Grandma.
8. Visit relatives in Texas.
9. Throw a party. (No superheroes or princesses allowed. This is for adults, not kids.)
10. Meet a blog friend "in real life."
11. Write a letter to someone, telling them how they've positively influenced my life.
12. Go somewhere overnight...with Gary... just us.
13. Plant some flowers.
14. Go blueberry picking.
15. Ride a rollercoaster. (Of everything on this list, it's the least likely to ever happen. But, why now try overcoming my fears right now?)
17. Write at least a chapter in my novel.
18. Get my scrapbook pages organized.
19. Paint something (not a wall or a fence...but something that resembles "real art").
20. Get published in a magazine/newspaper I've never been published in.
21. Go to a BIG sporting event.
22. Dance with Gary.
23. Star gaze.
24. Get a manicure.
25. Eat more meals at the table.
26. Stay better in touch with old friends.
27. Journal on a regular basis (blogging doesn't count).
28. Visit the Civil Rights Museum.
29. Save more money.
30. Have a scrapbook swap with someone.
31. Have fondue (make it or go to a restaurant).
32. Conscientiously be more "green" (not the color... environmentally).
33. Do the "pay for the car behind me at the drive thru" random act of kindness thing.
34. Exercise (no, really. like on a regular basis).
35. Get in the car and just drive somewhere unplanned.
36. Drink more water.
37. Pray. Every day.
38. Surprise my loved ones (Gary, the girls) with something...even if it's something little.
39. Make homemade doughnuts.
There you go... now, I'm inspired.
(Updates to appear here , I'm sure.)