Eight (really all over the place) things
1. OMG! (and any other appropriate online abbreviations that basically mean, "Holy crap! I love this show!" I guess that could be HCILTS!!). "Lost" was awesome last night--again!!--and filled with great moments. The one that got me the most was not even a big revelation or anything. It was when Jack finally learned that Claire was his sister. We've all known it as viewers since season 2, but to see it revealed to Jack was really emotional. And then The Orchid! the Oceanic Six lying to everyone about their island experience! the whispers! (I kinda feel a teensy bit guilty for being SO addicted to a television show, but I'm not going to dwell too long on that. lol)
2. We all--all five of us!!--ate dinner together at the table last night. We don't do that near enough and it was really nice!
3. Delaney had a come-apart the other night that ended in her tearfully saying, "Momma, middle school is just really hard." She has thrived at school, getting good grades and making new friends and getting involved (I forgot to tell you that she made the volleyball team for next year. Only 14 out of 40 who tried out made it!), but she does NOT like the drama that goes on. She said she's had a rough week with lots of drama about a few of her friends and she just hates to be in the middle of things. Delaney is my child who "externalizes" everything (McKenna is my "internalizer"); she wears her emotions for everyone to see, and really feels for what other people are going through. But, thank goodness, she talked to me about it. I gave her advice, she took it pretty well, and yesterday she opened up even more to me about things. I am so thankful that I have that sort of relationship with Delaney AND I'm pretty glad the school year is almost over!
4. McKenna asked last night if she could go hang out with a group of friends tonight to watch movies, one of which is a boy that she kinda, sorta likes. McKenna knew to ask us first and then Gary asked her, "You know what you have to do if you two decide to 'really' go out?" (meaning if they go anywhere just the two of them, on a "date"). "I know," she answered. "He's gotta meet you first." McKenna just turned 16 and she is now given permission to officially date, but she is INCREDIBLY picky and has not been "jumping up and down" to go out with anyone. (She's had plenty of boyfriends, but all have had to be the invite-him-to-church-or-hang-out-with-him-at-
school variety.) When she said that back to Gary, she kinda nodded her head and did a funny smile at the same time; she has realized that's just "how it is" and I think she actually has come to the point of really appreciating the fact that Gary would care so much about it. I have drilled into her head about boundaries in dating; and only dating the kind of guy that meets her priorities; and valuing herself enough to be smart with boys...I think it's all sunk in (and how cool to have her as an example to Delaney, because D is learning a lot from her!).
5. Sydney is not dealing with drama or dating...LOL...but I gotta share a Sydney story here too. Yesterday, the utter bottom dropped out and it rained in a DELUGE for several hours. You gotta know that Sydney LOVES water puddles (if she sees just a teeny tiny one, she has to go to it and jump in it!). Well, the rain was too much for her to handle and she begged to go outside and play in it. So I opened the den door, let her run in and out--jumping in puddles, getting completely soaked in the process--and she was loving it! At one point she came inside to tell me (jumping up and down in excitement), "I just love the United States!" I had to kinda laugh (where did that come from?) and asked her, "Why do you love the United States?" She answered, "Because it rains so much in the United States. It's the best place!" How can I argue with that logic? Too cute!
6. I got an invitation to a baby shower for my cousin and her husband (they are in Texas, so I won't be able to go, but it was still cool to get the invitation). Her name is Lacy (which I've always loved) and I just knew she'd come up with a cool baby name. The invitation said her baby was going to be Haven Grace. Isn't that just the cutest?
7. Delaney will be playing in a softball tournament tomorrow and Gary has decided that I should use my audio recorder to do a play-by-play of one of the games. He thinks I could post it on the team's website and/or blog, and parents who couldn't be there can listen to a game. It will be my first attempt at live sports broadcasting, so I'll let you know how it goes. (I just told Gary that I can't promise that I won't call the umpire by some ugly name, or call our players by their funny nicknames. LOL)
8. Yesterday, I spent some time working on a mini album dedicated to pictures of McKenna when she was a baby. And...I started doing an art journal. And...today I want to work on some scrapbook challenges. So, maybe I'll have some to share by tomorrow or over the weekend.
That's just a little peek into my life.
I hope you all have a wonderful Friday and a wonderful weekend. Ciao!