Next Stop: Beach!
In my mind, I had a really nicely-crafted, essay-like post to give to all of you this evening. But, on this Sunday night, I am extremely tired and anticipating a big day tomorrow. So, instead of waxing poetic about creativity and best friends and spending the night in a hotel without my husband, can I just give you a really brief recap of my weekend?
Okay, you said it was okay...so...
* I had a wonderful time speaking this past weekend at the Alabama Writers Conclave. Met lots of really great people and, as always, got a kick out of encouraging other writers.
* I had a really nice, BIG hotel room, with nice, CUSHY pillows while at the conference. I was alone for the weekend (Gary and the girls--along with two friends--have already driven the fifteen hours for Delaney's World Series/beach trip in Maryland), so I enjoyed some "me time" which was really pretty nice. But, I have to say...I kinda missed having the kiddoes jumping up and down on the bed, or having Gary cuddle up next to me.
* The conference was on the campus of The University of Alabama, so I totally enjoyed being in one of my favorite towns ever. On Saturday night, I decided to wander around for a little while--you'd think I'd enjoy the television and the bathtub and everything by myself, but it was a sorta quiet in that hotel room and I decided to drive around a bit--and it made me miss the days of being 19-years-old. There is such wonderful energy on a college campus.
* After the conference was over, I went to see "Mama Mia!" with my friend, Angela. It is such a FUN movie and a perfect night-out with girlfriends. (And Pierce Brosnan is so yummy that it really should be a crime!)
* I talked with Gary numerous times over the weekend, checking up on the traveling progress and making sure that Sydney was doing okay (when I left for the conference on Friday afternoon, she was crying that "I'm gonna miss my Mommy!"). Gary, amazingly, survived the car trip (he seriously deserves a medal or something!) and Sydney has been having fun (she's already made a sand castle on the beach!) every time I've talked to her.
So, all in all, it was a really wonderful weekend!
And now, I'm venturing out to do another thing for the very first time (in addition to the solo hotel stay). I am flying for the first time BY MYSELF, and I'm just crossing my fingers that I don't get totally confused during the layover and get on the wrong plane. (If you hear about some frantic woman stranded in the Charlotte, North Carolina airport, that would be me!)
I don't know if there is Internet connection at our hotel, but if there is...you know that there will be World Series reports and beach photos!
In the meantime, here is me with my new beach-friendly haircut and a view from my me-only hotel room. Yep, I kicked off my shoes and watched "Sportscenter" the whole time I was in the room...
And, also in the meantime, I hope you have a wonderful Monday and rest of the week! I will "see" you all when I get back!
Cross your fingers for the Birmingham Mustangs, and be thinking of what a rough time I'm having on the beach with a pina colada in my hand!