Tuesday, May 26, 2009

How was your weekend?
Mine was WONDERFUL (photo evidence included!)


Our weekend was chock full of fun activities...the first of which was an early Happy Anniversary Getaway for me and Gary (our actual anniversary is the 27th, coming up tomorrow).

We headed down to Montgomery to stay in a wonderful little bed and breakfast called The Red Bluff Cottage.

We stayed in the "Great Gatsby Room," which was perfect since F. Scott Fitzgerald has always been one of my favorite authors (seriously, back in maybe 1983, I went through a Fitzgerald kick and read every single one of his novels during the Summer; it's also appropriate since Zelda was from Montgomery and they lived one year there in the city).

The room was beautiful...



As were other parts of the house...


The house had some wonderful corners for reading...

and a really nice porch with a great view (and more spots to read)...


We ventured off to find the F.Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald Museum, but found out that it opened only an hour before our play was to start. So, we'll have to come back again to tour it...


We did manage to make it to the Montgomery Museum of Fine Art, which held some wonderful collections (I love to go to art museums and am always pleasantly surprised by the beautiful things you find in them)...

And a really fun, kids section with interactive exhibits (of course, Gary and I had to play in them)...

One of my favorites was one where you could go "inside" a famous painting, like this one by Edward Hopper....


After time at the museum (and then lunch, which I didn't take pictures of for some reason..bad me!), we headed to the Alabama Shakespeare Festival for a matinee showing of "The Comedy of Errors." It was absolutely fabulous; Gary and I laughed so much and had just a wonderful time there...




During the weekend, we did manage to enjoy some good wine...


and some delicious food (the first is of our beautiful breakfast at the b&b on Saturday morning)...


and even a place to get some more chocolate for the drive home...

It was a really wonderful weekend, and reminds me (yet again) of how important it is to get away with your sweetheart every once in a while. (Sydney asked me on Friday morning why she couldn't go with us to the "hotel," and I told her that it's important sometime for her Mom and Daddy to have dates with each other I don't think she totally understood, but she just nodded and said okay.)

I look forward to the weekend every year, and look forward to many more (we have some "big" anniversaries coming up soon--this year is our 14th--so I am anticipating the Caribbean or Europe sometime in our future!).

On Sunday afternoon, the fun continued (this time, with the kids), as we went to my nephew Matthew's birthday party. Matthew is so smart, evidenced by the fact that he wanted a Greek Mythology theme for his party (how many 10 years old would choose that?). Danielle did so great with the theme, ordering a Medusa cake and having mythology trivia games and "Pandora's boxes" for the goody "bags." The girls had a great time...





And then on Memorial Day, we decided to forego the traditional grill-outs (besides, Gary had to work) and the girls and I went to visit my best friend, Angela, for a day of food (lunch at Chili's which, again, I have no pictures of!), books...

Angela always treats the girls to books for their birthday presents and they always cannot wait to go shopping with her. Angela knows more about books than anyone I know and she stocks them up with some wonderful ones every year. They were beyond excited with what they got...

and then to "Star Trek" (the second time for me, the first for everyone else). We had a GREAT time...

All in all, it was a wonderful weekend filled with my favorite things in the whole wide world...my sweet husband, my wonderful family, my wonderful friends, and a lot of good food and laughter mixed in together with them!

21 comments:

Carla said...

Cheryl, sounds like you and hubby had a wonderful time!! I love those old B&B's and all the history that they hold!! Have a great week!

Kelly said...

Happy Anniversary tomorrow!

Corey said...

you guys always have so much fun! sounds like a great weekend. happy anniversary!

Cheryl Wray said...

Carla--Thanks! We had a wonderful time. (We try and stay in b&bs every year on our anniversary; it's become a tradition!)

Kelly--Thanks!

Corey--Thanks! (Good to see you...haven't seen you in a while. :-)

Adrienne said...

Glad you guys had a great time!!!

Mz.Elle said...

It all sounds so beautiful!
That B&B was amazing.
My mil and I were just talking about how important having special
time with your spouse is. It's so true!

Anonymous said...

Perfect!

And yummy on all of that food.

Marg

Lynilu said...

You always pack so much into your days, and it always sounds so fun! The decor of that B&B room is SO not me, and yet I'd love to stay there! I guess a change of scene/mood is revving. That makes it even better!

Stephenie said...

Kenna was telling me all about her books she got yesterday. She's letting me borrow the "pretty little liars" series. I'm so anxious to start reading it!

Cheryl Wray said...

Adrienne--We DID!!

Ms. L--It really is important...it's one of my "top tips" for making a marriage last. :-)

Marg--We ate SO much all weekend. It was really disgusting (but good!) LOL

Lynilu--It's funny! I'm not the antiques type either...but it was really luxurious and different, so I loved it!

Steph--McKenna was SO excited about her books!! We've got so many books for the Summer!

Gretchen said...

Happy Anniversary! We're going to go to the beach house for ours the end of next week (19th). But we're going sans kids. :) We may be deck painting, but we'll be doing it just the 2 of us. Maybe wine tasting and eating out, too. 'Cause I'm sure not cooking on my anniversary. ;)

Love seeing new snapshots of your beautiful state. Armchair travel is the (second) best!

Stephenie said...

I don't have as many as I'd like right now, but Mom is gonna buy me the Sarah Dessen books I don't have right now for my birthday, or so she says :] So I'm excited about that, for sure!

Travis Erwin said...

As a guy who had four years on Latin in high school and another in college I dig that Medusa cake and birthday theme. Looks like a great weekend.

Leah said...

What a wonderful weekend! Happy Anniversary!!

hippo chick said...

What a great time you had. I love that your friend gives the girls books. My (great) nieces and nephews always know that they will get at least one book from me for special occasions.

Wasn't Star Trek even better the second time?

Glad you had such a cool weekend.

Your nephew makes me smile and smile. What a unique young man.

~hippo hugs~

Cheryl Wray said...

Steph--I think McKenna now has all the S Dessen books. :-)

Travis--I thought it was the coolest birthday theme!

Leah--Thanks!

Hippo--I (of course) love to give books as gifts, and Angela knows EVERY new y.a. book that comes out, so she is awesome with the girls at the bookstore. I loved ST even better the second time around! And, yes, Matthew is the coolest little kid!

Mom said...

I loved reading this today and seeing all of these pictures!

Love,
Mom

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary Cheryl. Looks like a fabulous time away.

Cheryl Wray said...

Mom-- I'm glad you loved it and the pictures. Sometimes it's the only way you keep in touch with us, huh? LOL

Sharmaine--It was GREAT!

Susie Q said...

Oh what a joy...one of the mant reasons I adore you is that you all know how to live life to it's fullest!! Bill and I LOVE B&Bs too...this one looks great! I will add it top my list! : )

Love,
Sue

Maria said...

What an AWESOME and fun weekend! Sooo happy for you Cheryl. And congrats again on your anniversary! Many, many, many BLESSINGS to you and your family! Love ya!