Yep, it's the wee hours of Friday morning and I haven't posted since this past Monday. I do have an excuse, though (actually two): (1) I still think I'm recovering from our trip to the beach, and (2) I'm enjoying the last two weeks before school starts (which means lots of staying up late, then sleeping late in the morning, shopping, watching t.v., and basically letting my brain vegetate).
Hopefully, then, you'll allow me to provide you with an un-original post to end up this week. (And I promise that I will come up with some fun, exciting, illuminating, meaningful posts sometime soon!)
I actually stole this from Susie Q's Facebook page and thought it would be a fun way to share some random facts about myself. (And I'm very cool with you "stealing" it back and posting it on your own blog sometime, if you so desire. Because, I know how this Summer blogging goes!)
1. What time did you get up this morning? I actually didn't get up until about 9:30. I've gotten into a bad habit of sleeping until at least 9 and, one time this past week, I slept until almost 11. Not a good thing, especially when I consider that I'm going to have to get Sydney used to getting up early for kindergarten very soon (she's always been a Night Owl like me, and I'm afraid it's going to be a rude awakening--so to speak!).
2. How do you like your steak? Mmmm, medium with a little bit of pink in it. (I used to have to tell waiters or my favorite family grillmaster to "make it almost black," then I met Gary and he introduced me to the joy of medium-grilled-meat. A little pink makes it so much more tender! Chalk it up as something I've learned at an older age!) And if we're talking favorite cut of steak, I'll take ribeyes.
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? (Cinema, huh? Sounds a bit British doesn't it?) We went and saw Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince last Wednesday on opening day. I loved it (but I'm a HP Nerd and there's not much that was going to make me not like it).
4. What is your favorite TV show? You all know how obsessed I am with "Lost," but it's currently on hiatus (until next January! ugh!). During the Summer, then, I am loving "The Closer" and "Royal Pains." Plus, I'm a Food Network junkie and seriously want Guy Fieri's job. I also am a sports addict, so ESPN is my fail-safe, go-to channel when all else fails and it's 2 in the morning.
5. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? Anywhere with my family.
6. What did you have for breakfast? You know, I don't think I ate breakfast. (That could be because of the late hour at which I woke up.) But I'm already thinking that I may have to do french toast in the morning, with another cupful (or two) of the fresh blueberries I've been collecting over the Summer.
7. What is your favorite cuisine? There's not much that I don't like (yum on Italian, Chinese, Thai, Lebanese, Greek), but I gotta go simple and say that Mexican is probably my very favorite. There is something deeply satisfying about chili rellenos and warm tortillas and salsa.
8. What foods do you dislike? That would be mayonnaise and mayonnaise and mayonnaise (it's really an unhealthy phobia actually!).
9. Favorite Place to Eat? Quick and easy would be Taco Casa or Zaxby's. Sit down and enjoy a meal would be Kozy's or anything Italian. And, truly, one of my favorite things in life is to try a new restaurant. So, I'm pretty much easy to please.
10. Favorite dressing? I do not do creamy dressings (although, ironically, I enjoy ranch dressing on french fries!), but instead opt for anything done with olive oil. My latest favorite is Greek vinagrette (with olive oil, greek seasonings, and feta cheese).
11.What kind of vehicle do you drive? Pontiac Bonneville. Green. And I love the leather seats and sun roof.
12. What are your favorite clothes? I try and exhibit some sort of fashion sense and, truly, if I had the money I would be looking good. But, on a normal, everyday, this-is-me basis, it's a lot of jeans and t-shirts and capri pants and sundresses.
13. Where would you visit if you had the chance? The two I've been dreaming of lately are Scotland (I want to visit some ancestral castles) and Italy (the food! the art!). I also have a hankering to visit New York City and go on a cruise with the girls.
14. Cup 1/2 empty or 1/2 full? That would be Half Full. All the time.
15. Where would you want to retire? Gary and actually have been talking about this lately (not that it will come anytime soon...not with a child just entering kindergarten!) and I've informed him that I will be retiring in Tuscaloosa, where I can buy season tickets to all Alabama sports (football! basketball! softball! volleyball! if there are tickets, I'm going!). Gary said that's fine with him, as long as we can retire in a garden home with no yard. I said it sounded like a plan!
16. Favorite time of day? Probably around 7 pm. I'm usually enjoying a nice dinner (or an after-dinner dessert) and have settled in to read or watch tv. (This is subject to change, though, as soon as school and all the requisite activities that come with it, start.)
17. Where were you born? Greenville, Texas. (I am an adopted Southerner, but I am also a native Texan. Truly the best of both worlds!)
18. What is your favorite sport to watch? College football! (followed very closely by college basketball, then NFL football, then major league baseball)
19. Who do you think will not tag you back? Anyone who would like to!
20. Person you expect to tag you back first? Maybe you (?).
21. Who are you most curious about their responses to this? I love to read anyone's answers!
22. Bird watcher? We have a really woodsy background and I get to see gorgeous bluebirds and cardinals all the time.
23. Are you a morning person or a night person? Definitely night (it's after midnight as I write this!).
24. Do you have any pets? I don't really have them, they have me. Three cats...all who like to hiss at each other, beg for food, and ignore me.
25. Any new and exciting news you'd like to share? Gosh, not really. Does the fact that I'm about to fall sound asleep on top of this keyboard count as new and exciting? (Wait...the college football season kicks off in 42 days!!!!)
26. What did you want to be when you were little? Wonder Woman, and a member of Charlie's Angels.
27. What is your best childhood memory? I had a wonderful childhood and family and home, so it's hard to pick. But it would probably enjoy: listening to music/singing with my Dad, or creating some sort of imaginary world all my own (in my garage, or backyard, or treehouse, or closet), or cooking/eating/enjoying food with Mom.
28. Are you a cat or dog person? I own cats, and I have no desire to have dogs, and I'm really not an animal person at all (the girls just guilted me, with their sad and longing eyes, to have the cats).
29. Are you married? Going on fifteen years!
30. Always wear your seat belt? ALways!
31. Been in a car accident? Only two: (1) When I was 15, I went out to eat with some new friends soon after moving to Alabama. On the way home, we got blindsided by a little old lady on a country road. All I remember is the Dr. Pepper that flew all over that backseat and all over me! (2) I ran into one of those concrete poles at the gas station.
32. Any pet peeves? People who don't read. Intolerance. Racism. Slowness. Blaming.
33. Favorite Pizza Toppings? Although I can only get this if I'm ordering an individual pizza slice or I have the entire home to myself, I love mushrooms and onions!
34. Favorite Flower? I love hydrangeas in the yard, and I love calla lillies in a bouquet. There is also something beautiful, though, about an assortment of random wildflowers!
35. Favorite ice cream? Pralines and cream (although I'm not a really big fan of nuts...weird!).
36. Favorite fast food restaurant? Refer back to #9, if you please.
37. How many times did you fail your driver's test? I admit it, I failed it the first time I took it. Darn that parallel parking!
38. From whom did you get your last email? Our church's youth minister, asking me if McKenna and Delaney would be coming to the youth lock-in tonight.
39. Which store would you choose to max out your credit card? Although we don't really "do" credit cards, I'd take a fully-loaded debit card and spend to my heart's delight at Barnes and Noble. Or Amazon.com (although you wouldn't be able to enjoy it all while drinking a Frappacino from the in-store Starbucks). And then I'd go somewhere to buy totally luxurious wine glasses and cake plates and any other sort of fun dinnerware!
40. Do anything spontaneous lately? How about a cheeseburger and fries at almost midnight, after I already ate dinner (Seriously, I'm gonna way 300 pounds soon!).
41. Like your job?As International Woman of Mystery, Traveling Food Critic, or Adult Charlie's Angel... or as a freelance writer/teacher/stay-at-home-mom? Yep, it's pretty wonderful!
42. Broccoli? Yes. However you'd like to prepare it, I'll eat it!
43. What was your favorite vacation? I loved our honeymoon trip to Aruba (the most beautiful beach I've ever been to), but I've also loved each and every one of our family vacations. The main ingredients are every member present, lots of good food, and good places to sightsee (so, places like San Antonio, Chicago, Savannah, all were winners in my book!).
44. Last person you went out to eat with? Yesterday, I caught fast food with Sydney and Delaney.
45. What are you listening to right now? Everyone is asleep, so the hum of crickets outside and the television downstairs (Gary's fallen asleep watching Burn Notice, it sounds like!).
46. What is your favorite color? Yellow.
47. How many tattoos do you have? Sorry, I'm not that exciting. Nothing is indelibly marked on my skin.
48. How many are you tagging for this quiz? Each and every one of you!
49. What time did you finish this quiz? Let's see, the computer tells me 12:42 AM.
50. Coffee Drinker? Another thing I learned at almost 40 is that, lo and behold, I do like coffee. The only thing is...it's gotta be a lot of creamer and sugar and flavor, and a little bit of coffee thrown in for good measure. (Hey, it's the Starbucks generation!)
Well, that was fun! Join in if you'd like, and have a most excellent day!