Tuesday, May 25, 2010

And this is how Lost runs over into real life (or, "yes, here's more proof of my insanity")...

In my last post, I ruminated on how obsessed I am about "Lost," the television show. I've been more in love with this show than any I've ever watched (and, yes, I'm saying it...it even beats my ten-year-old "Charlie's Angels" and "Wonder Woman" obsession), and I've spent countless hours watching it and reading about it and theorizing about it, and feeling closer to imaginary characters than is really probably healthy. But, it is what it is. :-)

On Sunday night, the series finale of the show aired (and, by the way, I absolutely LOVED the finale. It's divided a lot of fans, but to me it was a beautiful culmination of the stories of the characters. They got redemption, their relationships were celebrated, AND the island story was still worth every bit of the time we put into it for six years, AND Jack--and Kate, and Hurley, and Ben, etc.--got to save the place and the people. If you want a "real" recap and my theories, just ask me. I'd be happy to provide them with you. LOL).

I had been obsessing over the end of the series since we first found out about it two seasons ago, and it was really on my brain a lot over the last week or so especially. It's only natural, then, that it seeped into my "real" life pretty naturally.

This past weekend, Gary and I spent a wonderfully relaxing time at a simply beautiful place called Dismals Canyon up in the northwest part of the state. There were gorgeous waterfalls, and hiking trails, and creeks, and cabins, and cliffs. We hiked, and held hands, and enjoyed each other's company so much.

And, of course, I spotted a lot of Lost-inspired scenes and posed for Lost-themed pictures (and yes, by the way, Gary did think I was insane).

Like me reenacting the scene were the castaways first found fresh water at the caves...

And me imagining jumping into this waterfall with Sawyer...

And me spotting what I think has got to the glowing river of life-giving light...

And me even finding what I think could be the well where Desmond was thrown...
When we returned home from our trip, we were greeted by even more Lost goodness. Delaney--my cohort in Lost obsession--had spent some time while we were gone decorating the house with all sorts of signs and scene recreations and decorations to honor the show (and to serve as a backdrop for watching the finale that night).
She had a jungle...
And some really cool signs...

And the black and white gamepieces...

And the "magical" wine...

And some "smoky" artwork...
It truly put a huge smile on my face, and welcomed us back to the real world in a really cool way (though not very "real," after all!).

As we approached the finale, we enjoyed some special "numbers" cookies (here is Sydney enjoying "Jack," who was appropriately #23)...

And we reenacted a few scenes. (Delaney sniffing the wine cork, which we really know is just a metaphor for the island!; me considering my reflection, ala the Sideways/Eternal world)...

I'm still saddened by the fact that my favorite obsession is over. It's engaged my mind and spirit so much over the years, and I will miss it. But, still, my best friends (including you all!) may be happy. They won't have to hear my crazy ramblings any more.

On that note...Long Live Lost. May my memories of you be ever sweet!

9 comments:

Linda said...

LOL...I loooooove the Lost Pics.

Monogram Queen said...

I think it is seriously cool how into the show you were and also what Delaney did. Shows a VERY creative mind!!!

Anonymous said...

Haha...you are CRAZY, girl! But I love it just the ssme.

Marg

Andy said...

love lost too. love the pics that you took. those places do look like lost shots. i enjoyed the finale as well. just wanted to wish you a happy anniversary.

LZ Blogger said...

Life mimics art... or is it the other way around? ~ jb///

Cheryl Wray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl Wray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Phats said...

The nice thing for you is it will live on in syndication and DVD sales I am sure :) although no new episodes. I never got into Lost but I know a lot of people talking about the finale.

Cool how you reenacted scenes!! :) Can I have a cupcake for my upcoming birthday?

Adrienne said...

HAHAHAHAH I love this! LOL