Thursday, August 24, 2006

One Hundred Things
I got this idea from an article by Ali Edwards in the latest issue of Creating Keepsakes and thought it was just a wonderful idea for a scrapbook page--but also for anyone else (even those who could care less abut scrapbooking).
The idea is to write down 100 things that you love. It sounds hard at first, but get to writing and you'll realize that you can't even stop at 100---your pen might just keep flying and you may be at 121 before you know it (which is what happened to me).
I asked the girls (well, McKenna and Delaney) to make me a list and Delaney was right on it (McK's still working on hers). I loved her list because it just so captures what she's like at 10 right now. And how cool will it be to look at this years from now and see what she was loving in 2006?
I got her list and did this 2-page layout--
It's hard to read this image, but the things she put down were great! Things like . . .
playing softball, Disney Channel, ice cream, chicken fingers, vacations, the pool, Harry Potter books, Christmas plays, Zac Effron, Reese's cups, Walk Two Moons, American Idol, riding on airplanes, writing, Hannah Montana
Even some kinda funny ones . . . the smell of gas (okay, kinda weird!!), vending machines, snow leoopards (obviously her favorite animal now!)
But my two favorites were . . . #4 "Me" and #100 (which you can see) "Having a great day." She's definitely my girl--I feel the same way. Nothing like a day that is just good from start-to-finish! And how great to know that she loves herself!!
I challenge you to go home and ask your children to do the same thing. You'll know your children better when you finish reading what they wrote!
But, more importantly, I challenge you to make your own list. Why? Because it's just another one of those things that can help you put things in perspective.
Yesterday some things were kinda bringing me down, getting me a little bit depressed. But--Glass-Half-Full person that I am--I began to try and remember the things that I should be grateful for. I have a roof over my head, food for meals, and a wonderful family. AND I have all of those little things that bring me joy . . .
Which brings me to my One Hundred Things.
In no particular order, this is my list I wrote this morning . . .
blogging, scrapbooking, old photos, communion, Diet Dr. Pepper, paper, old friends (Angela, Cheryl, Carol), childhood friends (Michelle, Margie), new friends (Allison, Chris, Adrienne), mystery novels, Sunday School, "I love you"s, the beach, a finished article, stemware, Moolates from DQ, chile rellenos and cheese dip, the mountains, a new scrapbook magazine, anniverary weekend trips, weddings cakes, Emmaus candlelight services, email, To Kill a Mockingbird, Icees, laughing with Angela, birthday dinners, traveling to a new city, Lindt chocolate, new home accessories, bookstores, memories of college, snow, new panties, "Seinfield", movie popcorn, making love, Scrap Etc., snowmen, 1992 Sugar Bowl, Advent, swimming, dressing up for Halloween, Van Morrison, parties, San Antonio, gameday in Tuscaloosa, Girls Night Out, love notes, Superchick, Scrabble, talking with McKenna, snuggling with Sydney, watching Delaney play softball, "deep" talks with Gary, fireplaces, new photos, Zaxby's chicken fingers, a new restaurant, NCAA basketball tournament, the Internet, Mom's meatloaf and mashed potatoes, Chicago, a card from Michelle, rain on the roof, pan pizza, John Cusack, Star Wars, The Bible, a clean house, date night, Harrison Ford, new writing assignments, talking with Grandma, a perfect ribeye steak, 80s music, Maeve Binchy books, Gary's gifts, the World Series, my brother, my parents, hearing old family stories, Thanksgiving, calla lillies, the color yellow, a good hair day, an outfit that just feels good, art museums, convertibles, Remington Steele, an 80-degree day, $40 a Day, praise music, cash in my purse, Chocolate Lasagna from Olive Garden, bare feet, falling in love, staying in love, Monty Python, laughing until you cry, God's grace
Now I just feel good all over thinking about these 100 things--some little, some BIG--and realizing that I have a 100 more I could write down!!
What would be on your list? What makes you smile this morning?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent idea! I am so gonna do this too! Love it!

Great LO!

Anonymous said...

Hiya Cheryl. Thanks for coming over and visiting my blog!! I LOVE the 100 things idea. I think I may have to do that too.

Anonymous said...

Great list! Great idea! I love a lot of the same stuff!

Anonymous said...

Great list! And I was included...how sweet!!!

Anonymous said...

cool concept, nice list too

Anonymous said...

lol---that making love and Scrap Etc. are next to each other on the list!!!

Are you all playing fall softball? Abbey decided that she wanted to cheer...so we have a few months off from playing!

the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

That is really a cool idea! I am gonna sit and do that with the family this weekend - Really great Idea!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this idea. I gotta get my whole family to do it!

Cheryl Wray said...

So cool that all of you liked the idea! You should all do it--it's a great family activity!
Rhonda--yep, we're doing ball again. Delaney made the Thunderbolts team. Yay!

Cheryl Wray said...

And, gosh, this list has made me think of all the things I DIDN'T include in it. Other stuff I love . .. I guess that will be to be an add-on to another post!

Anonymous said...

cool with her playing for the thunderbolts! Is she pitching?