Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Oh the Places You Go . . .

I'm taking the lead from my friends Adrienne and Toya again and posting some Inspirational Wednesday ramblings. The idea that those gals have is to take Wednesday as an opportunity to share what inspires them--whether it's things, or people, or color, or whatever! Today I thought I'd share some PLACES that inspire me.

One of my very favorite things to do is TRAVEL. I love the excitement of traveling somewhere new . . . seeing a sunset I've never seen before . . . discovering a hidden gem of a restaurant or cool building . . . going somewhere I've always dreamed of . . . walking on a beach that's familiar but lovely to me anyway.

To inspire you this morning, then, I thought I'd share with you some of the places that inspire me the most.

First are some of the beautiful places I've been . . .

First we travel to my very favorite city in America--San Antonio, Texas. LOVE, love, love (and am so inspired by!) the history, the food, the color, and the energy there! (btw--most of these awesome photos were taken by my dear hubby Gary). Everything about that city just screams out, "Revel in my fun and my energy, and feel the past all around you. . ."



Another very colorful city that I also love is Charleston, South Carolina. One of the most beautiful streets in America is Rainbow Row.



Now the joy and inspiration I felt when we traveled to Chicago was extraordinary! I love going to a place that I've always heard about but never been to; that's how it was with Chi-town. And when I got there, it didn't disappointment. The city itself is so amazing--especially the views next to Lake Michigan.



Big cities are inspiring, but there's something about a smaller place that brings me a lot of joy! Combine a laid-back atmosphere with a beach and I am SO THERE! We recently discovered Tybee Island, Georgia, and just love it so much! Isn't this beach inspiring??



Another thing I love about traveling is the architecture you see. I've seen some beautiful arches, buildings, roofs, and other aspects of architecture at different places I've traveled, but I guess New Orleans stands out to me! When we went, Gary took a ton of photos of the ironwork on the buildings (this was pre-Katrina and now I'm especially inspired by my memories and photos from that trip!)



I'm posting two photos of my next inspiring place because, well, it is just VERY inspiring. It is truly the most beautiful place I've ever been, and I dream of going back someday. The water was the clearest blue I've ever seen, the food was fresh and amazing, the people were friendly, the island was fascinating in its geography (lush and tropical on one side, desert-like in its interior, and wild and untamed on the other side).

We loved Aruba! (these pictures aren't Gary's, because we traveled there in 1995 and we don't have any digital images from way back then!)






Now are some places I dream of going . . .


There are many places I want to go in my lifetime, and who knows how many of them I'll actually get to visit? But I get inspired by my dreams of these places (and in the meantime, I watch the Travel Channel and look at travel magazines to get inspired vicariously!)

Some of the places I dream of visiting are here in our own country. Like the Grand Canyon! Its beauty just seems unequaled; its vastness and grandness just amazes me; it truly must be one of the most beautiful places on earth. I can only imagine what it would be like in person!



I'm sure many of us dream about going to Hawaii . . . I'm a sucker for beaches and it must be one of the most beautiful in the world. But I especially want to go someday because one of my best childhood friends lives there, and I would love to see Michelle! Maybe someday!



A place I dream of going for many reasons is Scotland. Its stark beauty just amazes me--its rolling hills and lonely-looking moutainsides. Its history and ruggedness and people just fascinate me. But perhaps what inspires me the most is that it's one place where we actually know that ancestors came from! Gary's family came from the Isle of Skye to America, and how I would love to see an actual place across the seas where my children's ancestors lived and worked and loved. These photos of the Isle of Skye definitely inspire me . . .

(I sure wish this first photo was bigger, but I couldn't get it to enlarge. It's an actual castle on the Isle of Skye. How cool is that?)



And then this beautiful landscape . . .


I've always dreamed of going to Europe and would love to go to just about anywhere there. There's something about a place that's so OLD (there are stores over there older than a lost of our "historic" buildings, since we are a relatively new country). I would just love to see the streets and museums and cafes and buildings and landscapes in London and Paris especially. My dream of going to both of those places might possibly come true this next summer, when McKenna takes a London-Paris trip and I have a chance to go. Boy does that possibility inspire me . . .



I'm continually amazed by the beauty around us! Look at the variety of locales that God has blessed us with. It's truly amazing to think of this great big world and all the beauty in it. Just thinking of some of those places inspires me!!

What places inspire you?

Have you ever traveled to any of these places?

Where do you dream of going?

Do you know of any travel blogs or websites that are especially inspiring (love to read these!)?

What is it about a place that gives you joy and inspiration?

Boy am I inspired now . . . and I'm ready to go somewhere!!

14 comments:

the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Hi Cheryl, Nice Post today! I have been to the Grand Canyon - Really is beautiful! There are so many places that I still would love to go to, Paris, Hawaii, Texas, Mexico and even many places here in South Africa - We have some breathtakingly beautiful places here too - Ok Just Added that on my list of "Things I still need to do". One of my blog buddies, blogs only about Paris (sites, food, people) you can maybe pop in there for a visit (Run Around Paris)(the link is in my sidebar). Hope you have a wacky yet wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

wow, wow, wow
this is just fabulous photos for inspiration Cheryl
I love it

Anonymous said...

Great post Cheryl! I would love to see Rainbow Row! Sounds like my kind of place!

Unknown said...

Hey girl, wonderful colors! I reallllly want to go somewhere too! Now of course, let me go copy your motivational Wednesday theme.

Cheryl Wray said...

NM--I'm jealous that you've been to the Grand Canyon! I'm going to have to go check out the Parison blog. Cool!
Toya--your photos today were amazing too!!
Adrienne--you would LOVE Rainbow Row. The whole street--in fact, the whole historical section of Charleston--is just filled with color and cool houses.
Amanda--Thanks! I'll pop over to you soon!

Unknown said...

I was born in South Africa and have lived in Holland and England for extended periods of time. I have been to Israel, France, Greece (Rhodos Island), and I lived in Scottsdale, Arizona for a year in my youth. Travel is the best form of education. I think it teaches you the most important life lesson - that people and places are not necessarily better than each other, they are just different ... and different strokes for different folks is what makes the world go around. The Grand Canyon is the most beautiful place on earth and really felt like God's thumb print on the planet for me. I would encourage you to visit South Africa - it has the most beautiful places to see and the people are uniquely friendly and hospitable. I would love to visit New Zealand, Italy, Hawaii ... everywhere really - I want to go everywhere. :o)

Andy said...

i would love to go to some of the places that you have been. how beautiful. i went to the grand canyon about 3 years ago and it was amazing. you should definatelly make it there. hawaii is also fantastic. my hubby and i went last thanksgiving and it was so much fun. make a trip. in fact my parents were so excited about our pictures and the stories that they are going this jan for their anniversary.

Cheryl Wray said...

Dawn--wow!! You have really been to some amazing places! Yes I'm with you--traveling teaches you more than anything! And I want to go anywhere and everywhere!
Andy--wow! Grand Canyon and Hawaii. I'm jealous!!!

Anonymous said...

My favorite far away places I've visited are Zimbabwe and Amsterdam. Both are beautiful in their own right. I would gladly return to both, however Zimbabwe, last I checked, was not safe. My favorite local areas are Gulf Shores, Al and Chattanooga, Tenn. Places I dream of are England and Australia.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I dont travel often. Hardly ever. I used to for work but that was always in the northeast US. I love NYC, Boston & Philadelphia. I would love to go to California and Washington some day. I also would love to go ANYWHERE tropical. We went to Cancun for our honeymoon and that was very nice. We are trying to plan our next vacation... I am sure it will be some place within driving distance.. we may try Maine or Cape Cod, MA. Really, the options are endless though :) Great Entry! Love it!

Phats said...

I love to travel too!!

I have been to San Antonio and it is awesome. My Freshman and Soph years we played in the Alamo Bowl, so I got to go with Cheerleading. It was neat our parade was on the riverwalk.

I have been to chicago tons living only 3 hrs away it's nice wouldn't wanna live there though.

Would love to go to Australia someday, or London to take in Wimbledon.

Enjoyed this post Cheryl

Melissa said...

great post and pictures!! I love to travel too and your making me want to get on a plane right now. lol

the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Gooood Morning - Hope you have a really super day!

the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Only me again! (you would swear I have nothing to do......um, you're right! *smile* So have you guy's started saving for your trip to Vegas next year October? I am rather serious about meeting up with you (did you think I was joking?)and I have (well sort of) worked out a plan and will be putting the ball in motion very soon!!!!! Come hell or highwater - we are coming to the States next year!