Tuesday, November 14, 2006
"Save the Cheerleader, Save the World"
and other random reasons why I might just be a nerd!
So I don't wear goofy glasses and suspenders; I don't talk about quantam physics and mathematical equations; I don't have posters of R2-D2 in my room . . .
I actually am an intelligent, somewhat attractive, normally dressed person who does very well in social situations,
but I'm pretty close to being a "nerd" in certain areas . . .
I've become rather addicted to the new show "Heroes" and last night's episode was great! (shoot, I gotta have some show to fill the void left by "Lost" for the next three months). The drama really kicked up a notch last night and we may find out soon how all these super-powered people are connected (and who the heroes and the villains are!). At the heart of it, the reason I really love this show is that's is about superheroes . . . and I think that's kinda nerdy.
I realize that I actually am quite a nerd, if you take the Webster's definition for the word (yes, it's a real word!) for what it says: "one slavishly devoted to intellectual, academic, or other pursuits." (Just as a sidenote: it said the word might have its roots in the Dr. Seuss book, If I Ran the Zoo; And here I thought it came from Fonzie calling people "nerds" on "Happy Days"! LOL)
Looking at my life, I definitely think I'm a . . .
* Superhero Nerd-- Yep, I love the "Heroes" television show, and I also love all the Spiderman movies, the X-Men movies, the Superman movies, the Batman movies . . .pretty much anything that has to do with superheroes. (I even loved the old tv show, "The Greatest American Hero.")
* Science Fiction Nerd-- This would probably be the #1 reason I'm a Nerd. I absolutely LOVE anything that has to do with Star Wars! From the moment I saw it when I was 9-years-old at the giant movie theatre in Austin, Texas, I've been hooked! I saw the first one 8 times at the theatre and watched the other first three repeatedly (the only time I've gone back numerous times to see a movie!). Just watch out ... I can beat you in any trivia game that brings up "Star Wars" questions! Growing up, my dad and I used to go watch ANY science fiction movie that came to the theatre--whether it was a "good" one or a really cheesy one (remember Tron?). It didn't matter--we were there! I also LOVE "Star Trek: The Next Generation," :Battlestar Galactica," and just about anything else that involves space ships and alien nations!
* Scrapbook Nerd-- Sit me down at my scrapbook area with photographs, paper, adhesive, and embellishments and FIVE hours later I'm still sitting there! I love to buy (and hoard!) products, read scrapbook magazines, shop at scrapbook stores, and visit scrapbook websites! I've been known to take a photograph JUST because I knew I wanted it to be on a scrapbook page; I've been known to think of titles for layouts in my sleep. Yep, I'm addicted to it for sure!
* History Nerd-- I love to watch the History Channel and read books on any aspect of history! I especially love Revolutionary War, Texas, and Presidential history. I love to imagine what it must have been like to live so many years ago, to find out what people's lives were like, to see how the past has affected and determined who we are today, and to travel and see these places first-hand (my entire family loves to visit presidential sites especially, and my daughters will proudly tell you that they've been to seven presidential homes! lol!)
* Sports Nerd-- What is on television when I go to bed every night? What lulls me to sleep each night? Yep, it's the sound of "Sportscenter" from ESPN in the background. I love to watch ANY and ALL sports (well, except for race car driving--I still haven't figured out the appeal to that one!), and I will watch any football game that's on television. (Gary always laughs that it can be Northeastern Idaho vs. South Central Pennsylvania, and I'm watching it!) I listen to sports radio and I love sports movies; I love sports history (I personally can remember where I was when the US hockey team beat Russia in the 1980 Olympics; or what I felt when Bobby Hurley hit that game-winning shot for Duke in the NCAA championships . . . and, oh yeah, I have my own Brackets for the NCAA basketball tournament! LOl) And, by the way, you allknow that it's Iron Bowl week down here in Alabama--so you will be hearing about that some this week!
* Book Nerd-- I love contemporary fiction as much as the next gal (one of my favorite things to do is sit down and enjoy me a good cozy mystery!), but I also LOVE the classics. I absolutely love Anna Karenina, A Tale of Two Cities, Huckleberry Finn, anything by Hemingway or Fitzgerald, just about any piece of poetry from the Victorians to the contemporaries, and of course you all have heard me rave about To Kill a Mockingbird. I love to tackle a good book that has meaning and substance (and I've even been known to attend the midnight sale for the latest Harry Potter book--and if that doesn't make me a nerd, I don't know what does!)
Are you a "nerd" in any way?
What things do you spend inordinate amount of time or energy on?
What things are you obsessed with?
What things are you afraid to admit you love, but you do any way?
What things--even if they're "nerdy"--just make you happy?