Monday, December 18, 2006



The Weekend In Review . . .
Busy, but oh so Joyful!

As usual, we had a BUSY weekend filled with various holiday, school, and church activities. It wasn't overly hectic, however, and I actually feel very rested as I write this late Sunday evening. Which is good news, since Christmas is just a week away (and actually even closer than that . . . since we will have our first official Christmas gathering on Saturday morning, when we have Christmas brunch with my parents).

Thought I'd share our weekend with you via some photos--so you'll feel like you were actually there. LOL

On Friday night, McKenna went to the high school football banquet with one of her best friends in the world. She and Raymond are in youth together at church and really get along great. I mentioned before that McKenna can't officially date until she's 16 and right now she doesn't have a boyfriend anyhow (she went through a period when she'd have a new one every month!), so events like this are the closest she gets to it these days. Which is fine with me (and Gary--believe me!). I LOVED McKenna's dress (so did she--she loves getting dressed up!) . . .







On Saturday, each and every one of us slept late (I didn't get out of bed until 8:30--which was SO nice!!), then McKenna went with her dad to a Christmas gathering at her grandparents'. While she was gone, we pretty much just puttered and tinkered around (G cleaned out his truck, I washed some clothes, we went and got a few doo-dads from the dollar store, stuff like that), and then we went up to the church to see my friend Ryan--aka Santa Claus! Our church has an awesome Christmas party for certain children and families in our community who otherwise wouldn't have a very full Christmas (the kids each get three gifts, the families get to get food and clothes from two of our ministries, and they all get lunch and snacks). AND they get to see Santa!

You have to realize that last year we really thought Sydney would do well on her visit to Santa. The whole day beforehad she said she'd sit on his lap, then even as we waited in line to see him she said, "I like Santa. I sit in his lap." Then, when we got to him? Forget it!!! Our picture last year has her trying to leap off of his lap! So, even though this year she is very adamant that she will sit on his lap and talk to him ("I not afraid of Santa," she has told me), I wanted a "back up" plan. So, I told her we would go take a picture with Mr. Ryan, who was one of Santa's helpers and was dressed up like Santa Claus. We got to church, Ryan put on his costume, and even then she had to have him pull his beard down and show her that it was really him. She didn't look real convinced until that happened (so, I'm not sure she will sit with the "real" Santa when we go to a local mall to see him on Wednesday!). Here are some pics of Santa, and also Scout with one of the girls from our church who was posing as Buddy the Elf (lol!) . . .







On Saturday night, we really loafed around and did something we LOVE more than anything--enjoyed some sports! But what was so funny was that none of it was on television. Gary had his Sirius satelitte radio set up to listen to the Dallas Cowboys game (it was only televised on the NFL Network, which we don't have! ugh!) in the den, and I was in McKenna's room next door listening to the Alabama basketball game on the radio (couldn't get it on tv, either, for some reason. Double ugh!). G would run in to give me updates on the football game, and vice versa. It was pretty funny! (Btw--both were victories. Roll Tide and Go Cowboys!)

We did spend some time this weekend working on Christmas gifts and creating some fun things. McKenna decided to make some things for her best friends, and ended up (with my help) altering some pocket calendars. I thought it was a great idea!



We still have some more creating to do. Still on the list for this week are-- making a gingerbread house, taking a Christmas photo and writing my Christmas letter to go in my cards (NOPE, I haven't done them yet. Talk about procrastinating!), and making our handmade tree ornaments (thanks for the suggestions some of you gave me on Friday; I actually think I've come up with an idea and will share them later). So . . still a lot to do in that area!

On Sunday, we had a beautiful candlelight service on Sunday morning and then on Sunday night we had our youth service. I love youth, because they really shake things up and do things differently. The service was just a mixture of different things--monologues, songs, dramas, dance, and storytimes, but all related in some way to the struggles and then the joy that Mary went through. In one of them, McKenna played a "modern day" Mary struggling with a pregnancy and what people would think of her situation. It made me think of what Mary must have felt knowing that she was carrying God's Son, but also being a normal teenager (probably 13 or 14). She must have been so scared, but what great faith she had. There was also some wonderful music; my niece, Lori, sang "Mary Did You Know?" and it was gorgeous and McKenna and three other youth played their instruments. It was all just very inspiring!

Some pics from the service . . .







Now, on to the week before Christmas. Still to do--all the things I mentioned earlier that I have yet to make or create, some baking for get-togethers, some last-minute shopping, wrapping gifts, and going to various events (and hopefully a dinner with two of my best girlfriends from way back in high school, that I'm SO looking forward to). It's a hectic week .... but full of so much joy, if I truly stop to appreciate it. It's sometimes hard to do so, but I'm making it a priority so that I can truly enjoy what this season is all about!

See ya tomorrow, when I will have one last Christmas-related Random Tuesday post. Have a great day--and thanks for re-living the weekend with me. That was fun!

(PS--I LOVE meeting so many new friends via this blog! I bet I've had 10 or 11 new friends pop by in the past week and I'm just so happy about that!! Keep visiting and commenting and if you're a new visitor or an old lurker, please comment and introduce yourself. I love going to read your blogs too!!)

26 comments:

Phats said...

Hey Cheryl!
That picture of scout with santa on top is absolutely adorable! Hope she does well this trip. good luck haha

By the way welcome to our world here in good old Indiana. Purdue basketball games are NEVER on tv the ones before Big Ten season. Always listening on the radio and it sucks. Not only that but the one station I get barely comes in, so I bought the Yahoo Sports Pass for this year. We don't get the NFL network either, but I'd rather get ESPNU instead of that.

Have a good one

Missy Glave said...

Hi Cheryl ... I'm a newbie and I'm very happy I found your blog!!

Sounds like your family had a very busy weekend. Your daughter looks lovely all dressed up for her event.

And hopefully Sydney will sit on the "real" Santa's lap.

Love the altered calendars ... what a great gift for a friend!!

Cheryl Wray said...

Phats--
It just about drove my crazy having to listen to the games on the radio!
Missy--Welcome back!We had a great weekend!
Amanda--It is CRAZY!!! I wore shorts most of the weekend too. It was 75 degrees yesterday!!!

aimee said...

Sounds like a joyful weekend! Have a great week!


I love your pocket calendars!

Anonymous said...

McKenna looks SOOOOOOOOO pretty! Man, they grow up SO fast!

Andy said...

McKenna's dress was beautiful and for course she was beautiful in it as well. the girls looked cute on santa's lap and i loved the pocket calanders that you guys dressed up.

Crazy Working Mom said...

Awesome pics. : )

Anonymous said...

Y'know, all this "real" Santa stuff is kind of un-nerving. LOL! Glad I could help "break" Sydney in. If she cries it's because she knows who the REAL Santa is. Check out my blog at www.myspace.com/goodmaniacs for some of the feelings from that day. It's a lot more intense than most people believe, I think.


p.s. I wish I'd been wearing shorts too!

Unknown said...

HELLO after two weeks of crazy busyness and no blog visiting (or posting for that matter!) I LOVE your weekend pics and it all sounds nothing short of blissful. Just wanted to let you know I haven't fallen off the planet just yet and glad to see all is well with you and your brood. Hope you come visit soon. xoxo

Renee said...

McKenna is so pretty in the pictures! They grow up too fast, huh? I say that all the time.

Josie said...

What a great weekend celebrating the season! I love the hustle and bustle this time of year. Your pics are so cute!

Anonymous said...

Such cute pictures! All of them! So glad you had such a fun weekend! I love to see Santa's pictures.

Phats said...

I hate listening on the radio but sometimes there is no other option for us :(

You and Gary should buy ESPN and make sure all Purdue and Bama games are ALWAYS on, deal?

Cheryl Wray said...

Aimee--Thanks! she said her friends really like them when she gave them out today.
Adrienne--Tell me about it!
Andy--Thanks!!
Tisha--Thanks! I really like how they all turned out.
Ryan--I can actually imagine how overwhelming it can be to "be" the Big Guy. So much hope and faith in you! Being on the receiving end of it must be pretty amazing!!
Dawn--SO good to see your name again!!! Hope you are doing well!!
Renee--Yes, I say it all the time too! Before you know it . . .
Josie--Thanks! I love it too!
Maria--Thanks! Yes, Santa pics are always just precious!!
Phats--Hey now, why don't you just buy that for us? Would be a great Christmas present!!!

Cinderella said...

Can your kids be any more adorable? I mean really!!

You both should be put up for parents of the year!! I am serious..

BTW, Mckenna looked beautiful, we have the same taste! Loved her dress!

Bruce said...

I'm not sure if I've ever left you a comment before, but I visit your blog pretty often! :)

I enjoyed reading about your week-end and the photos are great!

Andi said...

Your McKenna looks lovely. The Santa pictures are cute too. I enjoy reading your blog. My husband is from Alabama.

Mississippi Songbird said...

All your photos are great.Sounds like you had a great weekend..
The weather has really been nice here in North Mississippi too..
I like it, but I know that it is very unusual.. Usually, we have sleet and ice by now.. I can't drive in that stuff.I love to read your blog..You're just a blessed writer.. Merry Christmas and enjoy the holidays...

Cheryl Wray said...

Cinders--Thanks! You're so sweet . . .coming from another mom with a beautiful family!! Yes, McKenna's dress was great! If only I were a size 2 . . .
Trudi--Welcome! I'm so glad you came in and made yourself known! lol I will add your blog to my daily reading!
Andi--Thanks! Your Bama hubby must be a good guy!
Songbird--Yes, 75 degrees today and balmy (like an early spring day!). It is supposed to get down to around 50 by Christmas, which will be nicer!

Phats said...

Hey I gave you your xmas gift on my blog!

Cheryl Wray said...

Ooh, I guess I better go check that out right now . .. yay!!

Jolene George said...

Such great pictures Cheryl. Mckenna looks beautiful all dressed up, and her friends will love the pocket calendars.
I'm going to take my grandson to see Santa. I hope it goes well.

Jenn said...

adorable photos..I laughed out loud!! My son will be 3 in April and just starting to talk...the things he says I have to stop and laugh...thought about doing a post just on funny stuff he says!I love your song...this week I can totally relate!

Jenn said...

adorable photos..I laughed out loud!! My son will be 3 in April and just starting to talk...the things he says I have to stop and laugh...thought about doing a post just on funny stuff he says!I love your song...this week I can totally relate!

AngelConradie said...

very cool pictures- that skit about a "modern mary" sounds like it could be very interesting...

Brown English Muffin said...

are you trying to tell me these are the same girls from the pictures of santa up the top...that's crazy!!!! LOL